Mavic ksyrium wheels

Alan Summers

Guest
I am curious about the construction and maintenance of these wheels. I understand that no rim tape
is needed because there are no spoke holes in the rim. How is the spoke attached to the rim? How
does one replace a broken spoke? How does one true the wheel? Is spoke breakage common or rare? Are
the hubs easily serviceable? Where is the best web reference on the maintenance of these wheels?
Thanks, Alan

alan-<< I understand that no rim tape is needed because there are no spoke holes in the rim. How is
the spoke attached to the rim?

straight pull aluminum spoke with a bulged end, that sits into a threaded portion, that is threaded
into the rim.

<< How does one replace a broken spoke?

Unthread the insert(the spoke and insert are a one piece deal), and add a spoke..trues normally but
with unique to this wheel truing tools.

<< Are the hubs easily serviceable?

Yes, with 5mm allens and a pin tool(comes with the wheel).

newest version of the freehub body uses a really draggy plastic bushing rather than a bearing.

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>..

> I do not see what the attraction of Ksyriums are...

I am with you on this Peter. The rim is about the same as a CXP33. If you built a wheel with CXP33
rims no one would enthuse about it like they do with these wheels. Fluff over substance!