Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Mavic Kyserium Rebuild

Started by everesev · · Last activity · 4 posts · 886 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
17 July 2007
Last activity
18 July 2007
Original author
everesev
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
886
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a 1st generation Mavic Kyserium SSC and I have a broken rim around one of the spoke nipples. Can this generation wheel be rebuilt? I have spoken to competitvecyclist and I am not clear. I know the original rim is not available, but can the new one work with the older hub? And if so, where can this be done. I would rather have it done by someone who rebuilds wheels.

  2. everesev said:

    I have a 1st generation Mavic Kyserium SSC and I have a broken rim around one of the spoke nipples. Can this generation wheel be rebuilt? I have spoken to competitvecyclist and I am not clear. I know the original rim is not available, but can the new one work with the older hub? And if so, where can this be done. I would rather have it done by someone who rebuilds wheels.


    Yes a new rim can be bought and built onto the hub, it will be a bit costly, about $80 Australian for the labour and $80-$200 for a rim, and possibly youll need new spokes too about $80. A bike shop should be able to give you a quote. But it may be better to buy a new wheel unless you realy like that hub. Generally a pre made production wheel is cheaper than custom built.

  3. Insaneclimber said:

    ... unless you realy like that hub. Generally a pre made production wheel is cheaper than custom built.


    FWIW, the hub of the older Ksyrium SSC is better the the newer model. The new one feature plastic bushings (to save weight) while the older one has bearings around the freewheel body.

  4. everesev said:

    I have a 1st generation Mavic Kyserium SSC and I have a broken rim around one of the spoke nipples. Can this generation wheel be rebuilt? I have spoken to competitvecyclist and I am not clear. I know the original rim is not available, but can the new one work with the older hub? And if so, where can this be done. I would rather have it done by someone who rebuilds wheels.

    Yes, you can get it done. Have your local Mavic dealer return it to the Mavic Service Center. They will rebuild from the hub out with new spokes and rim, to factory specs. Your local dealer should be able to quote the cost for you.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.