Mavic Kysrium SSCSL Spoke Noise Problem

rocko

Feb 18, 2004
I have a set of 2004 Mavic Kysrium SSCSL clinchers which I have been riding for 2 years. Recently two forks snapped at the head of the nipple inside the hub (on separate occasions) on the back wheel, drive side. The rear wheel is noisy, making lots of soke noise when climbing out of the saddle. It has been into my LBS and they recently fitted a new freehub, greased all spoke nipples etc and even trued and re-dished the wheel. It rides fine but is noisy. My LBS told me that is the way of Mavic's flat bladed spoked wheels, that they are effectively on their way out. Seems a bit shoddy for wheels that cost me £420. Anyone had any similar problems?

rocko said:
I have a set of 2004 Mavic Kysrium SSCSL clinchers which I have been riding for 2 years. Recently two forks snapped at the head of the nipple inside the hub (on separate occasions) on the back wheel, drive side. The rear wheel is noisy, making lots of soke noise when climbing out of the saddle. It has been into my LBS and they recently fitted a new freehub, greased all spoke nipples etc and even trued and re-dished the wheel. It rides fine but is noisy. My LBS told me that is the way of Mavic's flat bladed spoked wheels, that they are effectively on their way out. Seems a bit shoddy for wheels that cost me £420. Anyone had any similar problems?

Are you sure its spoke noise? Mavic Ksyriums make creaking sounds if you overtighten the quick release *specially the rear wheel*. Mavic quick release tightness is just right if you can close it with a push of a finger.

I agree with hd reynolds. I dislike vibration noise, creaks, and rattles. So my LBS owner said that when I get mine we will have to change out the quick releases as they tend to be a bit noisy.