Mavic Kysriums cassette query??

Andrew Larigo

Feb 5, 2003
I have a pair of 2000 edition Kysriums, bought from my mate who used 9spd Shimano. I use 9spd Campag. Hence I have a 9spd Shimano freehub body on. How can I CORRECTLY!! run this without causing bad gear selection when changing or adjusting the width to the chainstay when in highest gear. (This happened with Classic pros. I fitted a Mavic Kysrium cassette & when on 12th it rubbed on chainstay!!! Hence why I'm not asking that shop for info.)
I've seen a price of £14 for Mavic yellow spacers. Is this the way to go and use a Shimano cassette?? Or does Mavic, TA or Marchiosio do any alternatives to allow me to run Campag??

Any info greatfully appreciated.
Andrew.

Originally posted by Andrew Larigo
I have a pair of 2000 edition Kysriums, bought from my mate who used 9spd Shimano. I use 9spd Campag. Hence I have a 9spd Shimano freehub body on. How can I CORRECTLY!! run this without causing bad gear selection when changing or adjusting the width to the chainstay when in highest gear. (This happened with Classic pros. I fitted a Mavic Kysrium cassette & when on 12th it rubbed on chainstay!!! Hence why I'm not asking that shop for info.)
I've seen a price of £14 for Mavic yellow spacers. Is this the way to go and use a Shimano cassette?? Or does Mavic, TA or Marchiosio do any alternatives to allow me to run Campag??

Any info greatfully appreciated.
Andrew.

There is a company that makes campy compatible cassettes which fit onto a shimano hub. I can remember their name, but i'll check it out after work (I use them on a couple of my wheels)

cheers!

The campy compatible casettes steve talks about are only necessary for 10 speed and the ones they have over here cost a fortune.

Since you want to use it for 9 speed campa it won't be much of a problem. Campa and shimano hubs only have a small difference, campa is about 2mm wider.
You should be able to use shimano casette with campa shifters.
If original shimano casette doesn't work you'll have to try a few times, change a part up to all of the rings between cogs(remove shimano ones insert campa).

I Have a bike with Shimano ultegra(9-speed 1999model) shifters and one with chorus(9-speed 2000 model).
I have mavic Cosmic Carbons wheels with shimano body and Dura ace casette with original rings wheel works fine in chorus bike without any problems.
I've got another wheel where i've had problems on the 3 last cogs using a ultegra casette, I repalced 2 shim rings by campa and the wheel now runs smooth with my Chorus.

So you wil have to try out jourself or get somenone handy to see if or many rings you have to replace to make it work smoother. When having problems with the cogs combined by 2 and 3(where you can not replace the rings, you can ad a small ring between the 2 and 3 cog combi's(there are small metal rings from the 8-speed erra under 1mm in width who will just do fine)

So far the cheap solutions but those who require qome handyness.

Other solution I think your freewheel is replaceable(those of my mavic CC's certainly are and I believe all mavic's are(check bikestore for ksyrium) so you can get your shimano freewheel replaced by a campa one(which is off course perfect for campa).

There is a small chance when you enlarge the with of casette(by rings change or freewheel change) the cogs got too far to the right. Then you willhave to adjust(or let adjust) your axles(isert spacer.

Don't be scared Freewheel cahange is the biggest operation. But for people with the right tools and handyness its doable.

I adjusted 2 wheels(from shimano 9 to campa 9) in about 20 minutes

IN BRIEF
Original casette might do, if not try one off the above, feel free to ask when unclear.

Campag and shimano 9speed both use the same spacing so just fit a 9 speed shimano cass and you will be okay.

Originally posted by maarten
The campy compatible casettes steve talks about are only necessary for 10 speed and the ones they have over here cost a fortune.

Your right there, I do have 10 speed.

cheers!

American Classic makes a cassette that would help you. Check out amclassic.com and look around.

Thanks guys for all the info, above all to you Maarten.
I have an old Shimano cassette so will try this first, then get maybe a Dura-Ace. Do Shimano also do a lighter cassette body than the one I have now on the Kysriums. It isn't a Mavic Cassette body at the moment so is a touch heavy.

Thanks
Andrew.

With reply to Steve about the public sponsored teams, I've just read in Cycling Weekly that Endura Sport have a UK team with John Ibbotson the ex Flanders pro and are seeking donations where you can do a la I-Team Nova.
On Verra!