Mavic MA40 rim question

Karen

Guest
I've an old Vitus aluminum that due to space limitations in my apartment
was stored outside with a cover for a few years. I wasn't riding it but
would like to this summer. The issue is that there is rust around the
nipple area on the rim (they are anodized) otherwise the bike
frame/components are fine from enduring the elements (snow, rain, but
covered). Is there a way that the rust can be removed chemically
without damaging the rims further? Have the rims been weakened by the
rust? It is not extensive and only on that small "washer-like" raise
where the spoke enters the rim. I love the bike but can't afford to
purchase new rims for it at this point and would like to be able to
occasionally ride it without fear that the rims are going to break, an
accident that I don't want.

Thanks

Karen

Karen wrote:
> I've an old Vitus aluminum that due to space limitations in my apartment
> was stored outside with a cover for a few years. I wasn't riding it but
> would like to this summer. The issue is that there is rust around the
> nipple area on the rim (they are anodized) otherwise the bike
> frame/components are fine from enduring the elements (snow, rain, but
> covered). Is there a way that the rust can be removed chemically
> without damaging the rims further? Have the rims been weakened by the
> rust? It is not extensive and only on that small "washer-like" raise
> where the spoke enters the rim. I love the bike but can't afford to
> purchase new rims for it at this point and would like to be able to
> occasionally ride it without fear that the rims are going to break, an
> accident that I don't want.
>
> Thanks
>
> Karen

Prpbabl;y surface rust is all. Unsightly but probably not a structural
issue. I wouldn't worry about it.

Karen wrote:
> I've an old Vitus aluminum that due to space limitations in my apartment
> was stored outside with a cover for a few years. I wasn't riding it but
> would like to this summer. The issue is that there is rust around the
> nipple area on the rim (they are anodized) otherwise the bike
> frame/components are fine from enduring the elements (snow, rain, but
> covered). Is there a way that the rust can be removed chemically
> without damaging the rims further? Have the rims been weakened by the
> rust? It is not extensive and only on that small "washer-like" raise
> where the spoke enters the rim. I love the bike but can't afford to
> purchase new rims for it at this point and would like to be able to
> occasionally ride it without fear that the rims are going to break, an
> accident that I don't want.
>
> Thanks
>
> Karen

the corrosion can cause problems, but there's not much you can do about
it. chemical solutions can make a temporary difference to appearance,
but do not adequately address corrosion at the eyelet/rim hole interface
and may indeed accelerate the problem subsequently.

if it were my bike, if there was no cracking or eyelet separation
already apparent, i'd just ride it as-is & not worry. it may be some
years before you have any failure, & even then, it's unlikely to be
sudden or catastrophic, just gradual degradation.

Karen said:
I've an old Vitus aluminum that due to space limitations in my apartment
was stored outside with a cover for a few years. I wasn't riding it but
would like to this summer. The issue is that there is rust around the
nipple area on the rim (they are anodized) otherwise the bike
frame/components are fine from enduring the elements (snow, rain, but
covered). Is there a way that the rust can be removed chemically
without damaging the rims further? Have the rims been weakened by the
rust? It is not extensive and only on that small "washer-like" raise
where the spoke enters the rim. I love the bike but can't afford to
purchase new rims for it at this point and would like to be able to
occasionally ride it without fear that the rims are going to break, an
accident that I don't want.

Thanks

Karen
A drop a oil at the eyelet/spoke interface and wipe the area clean with a rag. Look around the eyelet for cracks in the rim surface. If no cracks, you are safe to ride.

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 06:40:42 -0500, Karen <[email protected]> may
have said:

>I've an old Vitus aluminum that due to space limitations in my apartment
>was stored outside with a cover for a few years. I wasn't riding it but
>would like to this summer. The issue is that there is rust around the
>nipple area on the rim (they are anodized) otherwise the bike
>frame/components are fine from enduring the elements (snow, rain, but
>covered). Is there a way that the rust can be removed chemically
>without damaging the rims further? Have the rims been weakened by the
>rust? It is not extensive and only on that small "washer-like" raise
>where the spoke enters the rim. I love the bike but can't afford to
>purchase new rims for it at this point and would like to be able to
>occasionally ride it without fear that the rims are going to break, an
>accident that I don't want.

Orange rust is from iron; on an MA40, that's just surface
discoloration from water that had some iron in it, possibly having
come off the spokes or from the eyelets, although I thought those were
brass.

Wipe it off with a rag and ignore it. A small drop of oil on each of
the eyelets is a good idea, as someone else mentioned, and it's wide
to inspect the area around each spoke for cracks. If they're present,
they should be visible in good light. If you don't see any, put air
in the tires and wind in your hair!

Karen wrote:
> I've an old Vitus aluminum that due to space limitations in my

apartment
> was stored outside with a cover for a few years. I wasn't riding it

but
> would like to this summer. The issue is that there is rust around the

> nipple area on the rim (they are anodized) otherwise the bike
> frame/components are fine from enduring the elements (snow, rain, but

> covered). Is there a way that the rust can be removed chemically
> without damaging the rims further? Have the rims been weakened by

the
> rust? It is not extensive and only on that small "washer-like" raise

> where the spoke enters the rim. I love the bike but can't afford to
> purchase new rims for it at this point and would like to be able to
> occasionally ride it without fear that the rims are going to break,

an
> accident that I don't want.

Seems like the sockets have rusted a little. I don't think there's any
danger of structural failure. Try cleaning the rust with some steel
wool. Put some oil on the nipple/spoke junction and the nipple/socket
junction. The real problem with these wheels is that the nipples may be
frozen, so you won't be able to turn them if the wheels need truing.

Peter Cole wrote:
> Karen wrote:
>
>>I've an old Vitus aluminum that due to space limitations in my

> apartment
>
>>was stored outside with a cover for a few years. I wasn't riding it

> but
>
>>would like to this summer. The issue is that there is rust around the

>>nipple area on the rim (they are anodized) otherwise the bike
>>frame/components are fine from enduring the elements (snow, rain, but

>>covered). Is there a way that the rust can be removed chemically
>>without damaging the rims further? Have the rims been weakened by

> the
>
>>rust? It is not extensive and only on that small "washer-like" raise

>>where the spoke enters the rim. I love the bike but can't afford to
>>purchase new rims for it at this point and would like to be able to
>>occasionally ride it without fear that the rims are going to break,

> an
>
>>accident that I don't want.

> Seems like the sockets have rusted a little. I don't think there's any
> danger of structural failure. Try cleaning the rust with some steel
> wool. Put some oil on the nipple/spoke junction and the nipple/socket
> junction. The real problem with these wheels is that the nipples may be
> frozen, so you won't be able to turn them if the wheels need truing.

Thanks Peter, Werehatrack, Jim, and Peter (Campy)

I'll remove the tires and check the rims carefully and then if no cracks
will go over with steel wool and oil as suggested. A new set of tires
(probably 700x25c Continentals) are in order and then out for a good
ride. It's just for pleasure, no heavy duty stuff. I'm almost 60 and
just want to get some enjoyment out of the bike that I haven't ridden
for years. Love the Vitus but the geometry sometimes gets to this old
lady! (it's a bit "quick").

I'm really glad I asked!

Karen

Is there a way that the rust can be removed chemically without
damaging the rims further?

No. most FEO_2 acids are antagonistic to aluminum.

Have the rims been weakened by the rust?

No. most rust is self-limiting.

I've heard of spoke grommets literally falling out of rims (happened
to me on some nashbar wheels - before they rusted), and no rim
failure. But it is irritating to hear that tinkling sound as the
grommets fall to the freewheel cluster then fall to the rim as I ride
down the street. So i glued them in place with silicone!

You hopefully have 36 spokes on those wheels. That's an amazing fault
tolerant system. If you lose a spoke grommet what's the worst that
could happen? rim goes a few mm out of true and you ride home .. bump
.... bump ... bump. The nipple will keep the spoke in position. This
type of failure should be even more benign than breaking a spoke.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:14:54 -0500, Karen <[email protected]> may
have said:

>I'll remove the tires and check the rims carefully and then if no cracks
>will go over with steel wool and oil as suggested.

Just clarifying, the cracks (if there are any) won't be visible from
inside; they'll be in the exposed surface of the rim at the eyelet
holes. No need to remove the tires to find them.

While you have the tires off, though, you can check for white
(sometimes fluffy) aluminum corrosion on the inside. It's easily
removed with ammonia.

>A new set of tires
>(probably 700x25c Continentals) are in order and then out for a good
>ride. It's just for pleasure, no heavy duty stuff. I'm almost 60 and
>just want to get some enjoyment out of the bike that I haven't ridden
>for years. Love the Vitus but the geometry sometimes gets to this old
>lady! (it's a bit "quick").

You may be amazed at how quickly it all comes back...