Mavic MTB rims: presta or schrader, and rim tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pete Biggs

Are the current X221 and X618 rims drilled for presta or schrader valves?

The Mavic website seems to imply schrader but I don't trust it! I know a special gromet thing can be
used to convert to presta. (Would appreciate a reminder of where to find one in the UK, if LBS
doesn't have one).

Also, what type/width rim tape would you recommend for these rims? Is rubber tape ever preferable to
Velox cloth?

TIA ~PB

"Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Are the current X221 and X618 rims drilled for presta or schrader valves?

I've got both on 221s but mine aren't current rims.

My 517 came drilled for schrader but factory fitted with a removable grommet to suit prestas, I
don't know if this applies to current 221s but would think a bike shop should tell you.

> Also, what type/width rim tape would you recommend for these rims? Is rubber tape ever preferable
> to Velox cloth?

The 221s that came with my mtb had rubber tapes, they were diabolical <1> and were soon replaced
with Velox, can't remember the width but the shop selling you the rims ought to be able to advise.
<1> The Velox sticks to the rim wheras the rubber tape is free to move about which it does during
tyre fitment sometimes preventing the tyre from seating correctly, certainly with Kevlar
beaded types.

Pete

Peter B wrote:

>> Are the current X221 and X618 rims drilled for presta or schrader valves?
>
> I've got both on 221s but mine aren't current rims.
>
> My 517 came drilled for schrader but factory fitted with a removable grommet to suit prestas, I
> don't know if this applies to current 221s but would think a bike shop should tell you.
>
>> Also, what type/width rim tape would you recommend for these rims? Is rubber tape ever preferable
>> to Velox cloth?
>
> The 221s that came with my mtb had rubber tapes, they were diabolical <1> and were soon replaced
> with Velox, can't remember the width but the shop selling you the rims ought to be able to advise.
> <1> The Velox sticks to the rim wheras the rubber tape is free to move about which it does during
> tyre fitment sometimes preventing the tyre from seating correctly, certainly with Kevlar
> beaded types.

Thanks for the info.

BTW, I've now found out the X618 is 22mm.

~PB

"Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>
> The 221s that came with my mtb had rubber tapes, they were diabolical <1> and were soon replaced
> with Velox, can't remember the width but the shop selling you the rims ought to be able to advise.
> <1> The Velox sticks to the rim wheras the rubber tape is free to move
about
> which it does during tyre fitment sometimes preventing the tyre from
seating
> correctly, certainly with Kevlar beaded types.

I'll second that. The factory supplied rubber tapes are complete pants, and caused a blow-out (well,
hiss-out, really) shortly after I fitted Nimbus tyres @80psi. Velox is the way forward.

Tim.

Pete Biggs wrote:
>
> The Mavic website seems to imply schrader but I don't trust it! I know a special gromet thing can
> be used to convert to presta. (Would appreciate a reminder of where to find one in the UK, if LBS
> doesn't have one).
>
> Also, what type/width rim tape would you recommend for these rims? Is rubber tape ever preferable
> to Velox cloth?
>
> TIA ~PB
>
>

My X618 is drilled for presta, or it came with a gromet and I just haven't noticed. I'm like 99%
sure its presta tho.

Velox is definitely the way to go - it just works.

Jon Bond

"Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>

My X618 is presta (bought last summer)

> The Mavic website seems to imply schrader but I don't trust it! I know a special gromet thing can
> be used to convert to presta. (Would appreciate a reminder of where to find one in the UK, if LBS
> doesn't have one).
>

You can get these from St John Street Cycles http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm (under rim
tape & accesories)

> to Velox cloth?

I have been happy with Velox tape - I used 16mm.

Andrew Webster wrote:

> My X618 is presta (bought last summer)
>
>> The Mavic website seems to imply schrader but I don't trust it! I know a special gromet thing can
>> be used to convert to presta. (Would appreciate a reminder of where to find one in the UK, if LBS
>> doesn't have one).
>>
>
> You can get these from St John Street Cycles http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm (under rim
> tape & accesories)

No wonder I couldn't find it in the valve accessories section :) Thanks for all the info.

~PB

My mtb rims are drilled for schrader, but I still use presta tubes. And I don't mess around with
those stupid grommets, either (I never could get them to fit right).

Instead, I just cut a small "washer" out of leather and put it on the presta valve stem to reinforce
the tube where it sits over the larger schrader hole (kind of like a tire "boot").

It weighs less than a gram, stays with the tube so I don't have to struggle to get it in or out of
the valve hole if I have to switch tubes types

Simple solution to a simple problem

May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris

Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Status
Not open for further replies.