Mavic Open Pro & Open Pro CD

> I don't think you can have it both ways. That's why I ask where the
> heat is supposed to go and how does one get rid of it. No one has
> approached that matter and we seem to leave it a mystery. I am
> skeptical because in the early days of hard anodized rims (effectively
> ceramic coated) brakes worked poorly because the conventional pads
> melted.

I did.

<[email protected]>

--
Michael Press

Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I don't think you can have it both ways. That's why I ask where
>> the heat is supposed to go and how does one get rid of it. No one
>> has approached that matter and we seem to leave it a mystery. I am
>> skeptical because in the early days of hard anodized rims
>> (effectively ceramic coated) brakes worked poorly because the
>> conventional pads melted.

> I did.

Pardon my failure to understand, but what did you do. "I did" leaves
me guessing.

Jobst Brandt

> Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> I don't think you can have it both ways. That's why I ask where
> >> the heat is supposed to go and how does one get rid of it. No one
> >> has approached that matter and we seem to leave it a mystery. I am
> >> skeptical because in the early days of hard anodized rims
> >> (effectively ceramic coated) brakes worked poorly because the
> >> conventional pads melted.

> > I did.

> Pardon my failure to understand, but what did you do. "I did" leaves
> me guessing.

When you replied you removed from the quoted material
the Message-ID of the message where I suggested mechanisms
for dissipation of mechanical energy on those rims.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press wrote:

>>> I did.

>> Pardon my failure to understand, but what did you do. "I did"
>> leaves me guessing.

> When you replied you removed from the quoted material the Message-ID
> of the message where I suggested mechanisms for dissipation of
> mechanical energy on those rims.

[email protected]

I don't know what to do with this reference. Please explain or copy
what you wrote there to this forum.

Jobst Brandt

"Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:

>> > I did.

>> Pardon my failure to understand, but what did you do. "I did" leaves
>> me guessing.

> When you replied you removed from the quoted material
> the Message-ID of the message where I suggested mechanisms
> for dissipation of mechanical energy on those rims.

Actually that looks like an email address.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:

> "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] wrote:

> >> Pardon my failure to understand, but what did you do. "I did" leaves
> >> me guessing.

> > When you replied you removed from the quoted material
> > the Message-ID of the message where I suggested mechanisms
> > for dissipation of mechanical energy on those rims.

> Actually that looks like an email address.

Except for the server named news.sf.sbcglobal.net
that tells you it is a an nntp server, not smtp.

You can look it up.
-- Casey Stengel

--
Michael Press

> >> Pardon my failure to understand, but what did you do. "I did"
> >> leaves me guessing.

> > When you replied you removed from the quoted material the Message-ID
> > of the message where I suggested mechanisms for dissipation of
> > mechanical energy on those rims.

> [email protected]
>
> I don't know what to do with this reference. Please explain or copy
> what you wrote there to this forum.

It is in this thread. You did not think it was worthy of
comment the first time, so we'll just forget about it.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press wrote:

>>> When you replied you removed from the quoted material the Message-ID
>>> of the message where I suggested mechanisms for dissipation of
>>> mechanical energy on those rims.

[email protected]

>> I don't know what to do with this reference. Please explain or
>> copy what you wrote there to this forum.

> It is in this thread. You did not think it was worthy of comment the
> first time, so we'll just forget about it.

I have no idea what his link or how to use it. In another response
you wrote:

# Except for the server named news.sf.sbcglobal.net
# that tells you it is a an nntp server, not smtp.

#You can look it up.

Please explain what I can do with:

[email protected]

I Google searched and found many nntp references but no instructions
on how to use it. Entering the above line does nothing from here.

Jobst Brandt

On 26 Jun 2008 21:12:50 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

> [email protected]
>
>>> I don't know what to do with this reference. Please explain or
>>> copy what you wrote there to this forum.

>> It is in this thread. You did not think it was worthy of comment the
>> first time, so we'll just forget about it.

>I have no idea what his link or how to use it. In another response
>you wrote:
>
># Except for the server named news.sf.sbcglobal.net
># that tells you it is a an nntp server, not smtp.
>
>#You can look it up.
>
>Please explain what I can do with:
>
> [email protected]
>
>I Google searched and found many nntp references but no instructions
>on how to use it. Entering the above line does nothing from here.
>
>Jobst Brandt

Dear Jobst,

With a newsreader like Forte Free Agent, clicking on the link will pop
up a message that the link is either an email-address or a message-id,
let you choose which (or make an educated guess for you), and take you
to the message.

Here's a link to the post, so you can get back to the subject:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/96301b17ae9cc7c1

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Michael Press wrote in:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/96301b17ae9cc7c1

# Some places the heat can go.

# Ablation of the ceramic
# Ablation of the brake pad
# Surface of the ceramic gets very hot at the pad contact patch,
# then dumps the heat into the wind stream.

None of the above methods is realistic or useful as is apparent by
that no motor vehicle makes use of them. Having worked in designing
brakes for production and racing cars, none of these were considered.
I take it this is a put-on so I rather discuss practical aspects of
braking instead of humoring someone with supposed comedy.

Jobst Brandt

[email protected] wrote:
> Michael Press wrote in:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/96301b17ae9cc7c1
>
> # Some places the heat can go.
>
> # Ablation of the ceramic
> # Ablation of the brake pad
> # Surface of the ceramic gets very hot at the pad contact patch,
> # then dumps the heat into the wind stream.
>
> None of the above methods is realistic or useful as is apparent by
> that no motor vehicle makes use of them.

really? that's an extraordinary claim given that my brake pads ablate
each time i apply them! my brakes dump heat each time i apply them too!

> Having worked in designing
> brakes for production and racing cars, none of these were considered.

extraordinary. how many months did you work for porsche jobst? and
what exactly do the weasel words "working in designing" mean as opposed
to plain old "designing"? did you actually design or did you not? if
so, exactly what?

> I take it this is a put-on so I rather discuss practical aspects of
> braking instead of humoring someone with supposed comedy.

we'd /love/ for you to actually discuss the practical aspects!
preferably with numbers and from a position of experience. actually
using ceramic rims would be a dandy place for you to start. all you've
done so far is allude to something on which you're not prepared to
disclose detail, and scoff. oh, and evidence that you don't really
understand what you're talking about given the above statements.

On 2008-06-24 11:01:59 +0200, Jakob Bartholdy Bruun <[email protected]> said:

> A short digression
> Morten, how do the green swisstop pads wear compared to campy on your
> rims? I have the same rims (and yes - they do enhance braking) and I
> find that my campy pads wear pretty fast on the ceramic rims.

The green swissstop lasts 3x longer than campys - however i have only
worn two sets on the ceramic rims (one of each).. My comparison may
not be fair.

If rims and pads are newly cleaned he campy pads has better braking
performance in dry weather but because of the wear, especially in rain,
pads and rims quickly picks up a lot of dust witch degrades breaking
performance significantly.
However campy pads on ceramic rims picks up less dust than campy pads
on aluminum rims. The green swissstop on the ceramic hardly pics up
dust at all witch means that i almost never clean pads and rims and
braking performance is almost the same regardless of conditions.

I prefer the green swissstop because of their low maintanence (wear +
cleaning) and ability to maintain braking power in rain and on long
decents.

--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen

"Besides, if you can't get a decent kernal panic
or two in a month, what's the point of living?"