Mavic Open Pro Rims and Ultegra Hubs

cyclepath

Dec 30, 2003
I was looking to build a set of Mavic Open Pros with possibly Ultegra or other hubs. I was considering the black rims but was wondering what the differences are with the Ceramics and CD? Will I need to use different pads with the ceramic or CDs and what is the advantage?

Also, can anyone recommend other hubs that are relatively lightweight and inexpensive? It seems as if the Ultegra hubs are the workhorse. I was considering a 28 hole front and 32 hole in the back. I weigh about 165 lbs. Supergo has the front hub for $19. What are your opinions about this setup or should I just go 32 all around?

Originally posted by cyclepath
I was looking to build a set of Mavic Open Pros with possibly Ultegra or other hubs. I was considering the black rims but was wondering what the differences are with the Ceramics and CD? Will I need to use different pads with the ceramic or CDs and what is the advantage?

Also, can anyone recommend other hubs that are relatively lightweight and inexpensive? It seems as if the Ultegra hubs are the workhorse. I was considering a 28 hole front and 32 hole in the back. I weigh about 165 lbs. Supergo has the front hub for $19. What are your opinions about this setup or should I just go 32 all around?

Ceramics will wear out your pads more quickly, but they do stop you a little faster when wet. CD is harder and thicker than the normal cosmetic anodizing and is put on after after the brake track machining. It makes braking less effective to start and can cause stress cracking due to it's hardness and thickness.
The ceramic coating also acts to insulate the rim material from the brake track. It is a very hard and brittle coating.
I don't see the paying more for either of these coatings is advantateous.
I would suggest that you stay with 32 spoke for front and back.
A spare 296 and 294 mm spoke should cover you for a long time.
I suggest that you select wheels with Double Butted spokes and Brass nipples.
Ultegra is a good value.
I know you are not addressing the build issues, but they are still the most important issues. Reliability and durability comes from a quality build. Cosmetic issues or special purpose applications tend to fade away when you put the wheels in service.
There are many suppliers that can sell you a set of Ultegra Open Pro wheels. Some are so low that you can afford to buy them and then pay a local shop to finish them properly... if you aren't equipped to do it yourself. Some local shops can save the the hassle and expense of shipping and handling. I suggest you find a local shop with quality wheel building reputation and put you on the road with a very satisfying set of wheels.

Excellent advice, dave. My only comment is I asked several master wheelwrights, including Peter White, who guarantees his wheels will never go out of true and never break a spoke, about a set of CXP33's and Ultrega hubs. White recommnded going with the DuraAce hubs because even though they were more costly, the bearings were so much better, they were worth the price.

My local LBS wheelwright recommended Open Pros over the CXP33's, but also thought I should go with the DuraAce hubs. If I have them built, they will be DuraAce hubs and probably the OPs, 36 hole front and rear as I tend to be on the Clydesdale side of the scale.

BTW, Performance has on sale (5/5-5/23) a set of Mavic Open Pro/Ultegra for $190 a set..

Originally posted by Babbar
Excellent advice, dave. My only comment is I asked several master wheelwrights, including Peter White, who guarantees his wheels will never go out of true and never break a spoke, about a set of CXP33's and Ultrega hubs. White recommnded going with the DuraAce hubs because even though they were more costly, the bearings were so much better, they were worth the price.

My local LBS wheelwright recommended Open Pros over the CXP33's, but also thought I should go with the DuraAce hubs. If I have them built, they will be DuraAce hubs and probably the OPs, 36 hole front and rear as I tend to be on the Clydesdale side of the scale.

I respect Peter White and have talked with him on occasion. Peter builds wheels that are used on lots of tandems and touring applications.
The ball bearings used in DURA ACE are stainless steel, but the races, and cones get the same treament as Ultegra. The labyrinth is identical. DURA ACE uses lighter weight materials than Ultegra.
Both DURA ACE and Ultegra in their 7700 and 6500 models are good values. Both Open Pro and CXP33 are good rims. I use and build them both as well as the both Shimano hubs. I think that 36 spokes makes sense for any rider, especially as you go on rougher roads and/or weigh more. If you can afford the ~$75 difference in the hubs, DURA ACE is very serviceable. Weight differences in 28 vs 32 spoke wheels just don't seem to be justified unless you can afford to have multiple wheels for different applications. I am referring to a rider who wants to own a good pair of wheels and ride them with confidence, reliability, and get many 1,000s of serviceable miles.

Originally posted by daveornee
Ceramics will wear out your pads more quickly, but they do stop you a little faster when wet. CD is harder and thicker than the normal cosmetic anodizing and is put on after after the brake track machining. It makes braking less effective to start and can cause stress cracking due to it's hardness and thickness.
The ceramic coating also acts to insulate the rim material from the brake track. It is a very hard and brittle coating.
I don't see the paying more for either of these coatings is advantateous.
I would suggest that you stay with 32 spoke for front and back.
A spare 296 and 294 mm spoke should cover you for a long time.
I suggest that you select wheels with Double Butted spokes and Brass nipples.
Ultegra is a good value.
I know you are not addressing the build issues, but they are still the most important issues. Reliability and durability comes from a quality build. Cosmetic issues or special purpose applications tend to fade away when you put the wheels in service.
There are many suppliers that can sell you a set of Ultegra Open Pro wheels. Some are so low that you can afford to buy them and then pay a local shop to finish them properly... if you aren't equipped to do it yourself. Some local shops can save the the hassle and expense of shipping and handling. I suggest you find a local shop with quality wheel building reputation and put you on the road with a very satisfying set of wheels.

Thanks for the info. This is very useful.