Mavic OpenPro vs MA-2

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Paul, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Can someone compare the Mavic OpenPro to the no longer
    available MA-2 as to suitability for hotel touring with a
    light load ala Jobst?

    From what I have been able to find, the MA-2 weighs 460g,
    the OpenPro 425, both have eyelets, and 36 spokes. Not much
    difference there. Assuming a good build, Ultegra hubs and 36
    spokes, would be OpenPro be a good replacement for the MA-2?

    Thanks for your input.

    Paul

    Tags:

  2. Cipher

    Cipher New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
    It probably would work just fine, but a better choice in my opinion would be Mavic's CXP-33. (470G.) For leisure touring with a load I think it is better suited for your needs. This is a rim alot of the larger cyclists select who are after a stoutly built rim.

  3. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can someone compare the Mavic OpenPro to the no longer
    > available MA-2 as to suitability for hotel touring with a
    > light load ala Jobst?
    >
    > From what I have been able to find, the MA-2 weighs 460g,
    > the OpenPro 425, both have eyelets, and 36 spokes. Not
    > much difference there. Assuming a good build, Ultegra hubs
    > and 36 spokes, would be OpenPro be a good replacement for
    > the MA-2?

    Probably. The only problem is the Mavic OP rim is alot more
    expensive than the MA-2. At anywhere from $55-99 each,
    depending on which color you wanted, whether it was anodized
    (yikes, I said that word) or ceramic coated, it is basically
    double the price, or more, of the MA-2 which retailed for
    something like $30. Too bad, the MA-2 was discontinued, it
    was arguably the best rim for the money.

  4. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can someone compare the Mavic OpenPro to the no longer
    > available MA-2 as to suitability for hotel touring with a
    > light load ala Jobst?
    >
    > From what I have been able to find, the MA-2 weighs 460g,
    > the OpenPro 425, both have eyelets, and 36 spokes. Not
    > much difference there. Assuming a good build, Ultegra hubs
    > and 36 spokes, would be OpenPro be a good replacement for
    > the MA-2?

    Box section rims are good because they are more flexible
    than the stylish weird cross sections that they seem to have
    all the time these days. I believe you can still get box
    sections from Campi.

    I've never had particularly good luck with Mavics but then I
    never used the MA-2's. They were a plain vanilla box section
    rim without anodizing.