Mavic Problems

kbacon3231

Aug 6, 2013
Its a shame this has to be my first post but it is what it is. So I developed this problem the other day on my road bike. The drive side of my chain will go slack and rest/bounce on the chain stay when coasting. It will happen in all gears and at speeds above maybe 5-10 mph. It will only do it while I am on the bike. Off the bike everything works as it should. What I think it is are the bearings in the free hub on my Mavic Cosmic Experts wheel. The smaller bearing doesn't feel that great when spinning it while on my fingers. The larger bearing (closer to the hub) feel fine but was wanting to replace them both. Actually was wanting to replace all the bearings in the rear but it seems easier said than done. After calling a few of the local bike shops they don't seem to be much help. One giving zero help and the other says contact Mavic directly. Even searching the internet for replacements seems to be a feat in of its self.
So here I am. looking for help. I'm relatively new to road bikes and have little knowledge about them. Some of the other bearings I think I am able to source thru other bearing suppliers using the part number stamped on them or their equivalent. The larger bearing p/n I come back with nothing. My last option (being a machinist) is to replace the larger bearing with a nylon type bearing that appears to be used in the newer free hubs.

Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated.

ok so when you coast the chain slacks and hit the chainstays of the frame, with the possibility that the bearings are getting somehow blocked and causing this, its not a common problem but it can happen, something like that happened to me with a new shimano hub, i was told that the grease after a long time on the shelf without any use cause that so i got a replacement hub instead,

Had a similar issue with an older set of Mavic Ksyrium Equipe. Some slack in the chain line, but the more pronounced symptom was rotation of the cranks/pedals while hub body was freewheeling. Observed while bike was in repair stand during tune ups.

This was caused by hub body friction on the axle from the one delrin bushing used in place of a bearing. Lubing the bushing helped, but never eliminated the friction. Replacing the hub body worked for a short time, but as the bushing began to wear the rear borne friction would return. At the time, I believe Mavic was using the delrin bushing in all wheel sets. Mainly the reason I have never purchased another set of Mavics.

Originally Posted by vspa .

ok so when you coast the chain slacks and hit the chainstays of the frame, with the possibility that the bearings are getting somehow blocked and causing this, its not a common problem but it can happen, something like that happened to me with a new shimano hub, i was told that the grease after a long time on the shelf without any use cause that so i got a replacement hub instead,
Yes, I believe this to be what is happening. More so the smaller bearing that the axle rides on. I think the Mavic P/N is M40077 for that bearing. I think i have found some replacement part in France or maybe England in the internet but thought for sure that i could find something here in the US.
Like i said about the local bike shops, one couldnt help, one refered me to another that sells Mavic products and they told me to call Mavic directly as they couldn't help either. I realy dont want to have to ditch the whole wheel over this.

Originally Posted by sitzmark .

Had a similar issue with an older set of Mavic Ksyrium Equipe. Some slack in the chain line, but the more pronounced symptom was rotation of the cranks/pedals while hub body was freewheeling. Observed while bike was in repair stand during tune ups.

This was caused by hub body friction on the axle from the one delrin bushing used in place of a bearing. Lubing the bushing helped, but never eliminated the friction. Replacing the hub body worked for a short time, but as the bushing began to wear the rear borne friction would return. At the time, I believe Mavic was using the delrin bushing in all wheel sets. Mainly the reason I have never purchased another set of Mavics.
If replacing the bearing and having to switch to a Delrin or Nylon type bushing would solve the problem even temporary would be fine for now i guess. Replacing a bushing every so often i can handle. The chain bouncing off the chainstay sounding like im doing a high speed down hill mountain bike run i cannot.

Mavic USA Address 17 Parkridge Road
01835 Haverhill, MA
USA Phone +1 978 469 8400 Fax +1 978 373 1113 Service Center, which should stock small parts: MSC USA MAVIC INC. 17 Parkridge Road Haverhill, MA 01835 Tel.: (+1) 978 469 8400 Fax: (+1) 978 373 1113 [email protected]

So i finally got in contact with a bike shop that came recommended by a friend. I explained my problem over the phone and he suggested that i should replace all the bearings even if they feel fine with the wheel off the bike. He explained that its apparent that you have a problem with them while they are under a load that you may not feel otherwise. I also explained that finding parts for these wheels seems to be very difficult.
So im going to use a distributor that i use at work that supplies us bearings to track down the right bearings for me. Im sure they will have something and can pick them up in the next day or so and install them.
With the hub disassembled i also noticed something else odd. Bear with me im going to try and explain it with a quick CAD model to help.
In the picture below im showing the rear hub disassembled looking at the drive side. The black washer that is curently in it appears to be broken. That is how it looks on my hub now. Im not sure since i did not buy these wheels new and on Mavics website their exploded view does not even show it. I am 99% sure its broke and needs replaced and the freehub rides up against it. Which is easy enough and can make a new one myself. If its supposed to be like that i dont understand why. Im sure one of you guys will know for sure and again thanks for your help!

More info in the above post i forgot to add:

The black washer appears to be made out of Delrin or some other type of Nylon.

The nylon bush on the freehub body is white and is very unlikely to be broken. I think that the black structure that you describe is the lip seal, and it should be a continuous ring. You need a new one. You also need to clean and lubricate the freehub body bearing surfaces. You may need to replace the freehub body, or the nylon bush alone, if the bush is very worn. This needs to be done very year or every 5000km, whichever comes first.

artemidorus- My freehub has bearings on the inside at both ends. Which I believe they came that way before they went to just the white nylon bushing that rides on the hub nose. As far as the black one that i described it has been replaced. All the bearings for the rear should be in tomorrow and hopefully everything will be good as new once i get them installed.

Once again thanks for everyone's input and help!

I installed all new bearings in the rear last night and everthing works as it should now. Thanks for all the input! Now off to make an official intro thread.