Mavic quality control

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Chip Atkins, May 29, 2003.

  1. Chip Atkins

    Chip Atkins Guest

    Since I took a job at a bicycle shop six months ago, I've been really disappointed with
    Mavic products.

    I think we've returned about a dozen rims that were maligned when we took them out of the box -
    cracks at the nipple hole on CXP33s; a totally bent over rim wall on a OpenPro.

    One of our customers brought in their Ksyrium with the nipple socket ripped out of the rim, which
    we sent back to Mavic for replacement. After the wheel came back, the wheel failed to maintain
    spoke tension.

    We have replaced CrossMax spokes at great cost to our customers.

    Their not to well worked out UST design.

    Granted, I have covered many miles on Mavic rims and wheels. Most of their rims seem to meet the
    quality that I would expect from a company with such a long and rich history in cycling. But it
    seems that their products have become rather cheesy.

    Have others experienced my disappointment? Chip

    Tags:

  2. David Ornee

    David Ornee Guest

    "Chip Atkins" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Since I took a job at a bicycle shop six months ago, I've been really disappointed with Mavic
    > products.
    >
    > I think we've returned about a dozen rims that were maligned when we took them out of the box -
    > cracks at the nipple hole on CXP33s; a totally bent over rim wall on a OpenPro.
    >
    > One of our customers brought in their Ksyrium with the nipple socket ripped out of the rim, which
    > we sent back to Mavic for replacement. After the wheel came back, the wheel failed to maintain
    > spoke tension.
    >
    > We have replaced CrossMax spokes at great cost to our customers.
    >
    > Their not to well worked out UST design.
    >
    > Granted, I have covered many miles on Mavic rims and wheels. Most of their rims seem to meet the
    > quality that I would expect from a company with such a long and rich history in cycling. But it
    > seems that their products have become rather cheesy.
    >
    > Have others experienced my disappointment? Chip

    Yes. I also don't find their support to be very responsive or timely. I understand they are under
    new management... some few years ago. It almost seems they are testing what the market will bear....
    or maybe the new reality is that the market tolerates it... and they are successful (in that measure
    of success).

    David Ornee, Western Springs, IL