Mavic R-Sys wheels and recalls

Look 566 Rider

Aug 4, 2011
Good day all,

Searched the forum and found nothing later than mid 2009.

Jenson USA has Mavic R-Sys wheelset '09 front '10 rear for $849. Does anyone have feedback on these wheels? I would hope that Jenson would have pulled any wheels that were involved from stock.

I do have an e-mail to them pending response.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Not sure if this helps or not, but I have a little post on these wheels here. Unfortunately the source post is no longer available :( There is also a link there to the Australian recall of these wheels. Regards Andrew

Thanks for posting. The link you gave is the last example of these wheels failing and making the news. Of course the LBSs I have spoken to say that the failure was due to operator error. I.E. running the spokes against another wheel. They also assure me that the "new" spokes have a support material installed inside the carbon fibre.

Still flip flopping between these and Ksyrium SLs.

Originally Posted by Look 566 Rider .

Thanks for posting. The link you gave is the last example of these wheels failing and making the news. Of course the LBSs I have spoken to say that the failure was due to operator error. I.E. running the spokes against another wheel. They also assure me that the "new" spokes have a support material installed inside the carbon fibre.

Still flip flopping between these and Ksyrium SLs.
If I had to choose between those two wheels, I'd pick neither. Ksyrium SLs aren't particularly SL, and for the money you could get a more durable wheel, that's lighter, and built to a custom spec. As such, for that price you could easily get much better hubs than the Mavic and get spokes that aren't aluminum, are plentiful (i.e. found at nearly every LBS), and are stronger than aluminum spokes. I'm not at all interested in the R-Sys, a not so light wheel that's a pig aerodynamically.

Go off the board for $100, Look 566 Rider.

Sincerely,

Look 595 Rider

Originally Posted by Look 566 Rider .

Of course the LBSs I have spoken to say that the failure was due to operator error. I.E. running the spokes against another wheel. They also assure me that the "new" spokes have a support material installed inside the carbon fibre.
The very fact that these wheels can't cope with the odd abuse of road riding/racing would be enough to make me steer clear. In racing you can expect a bit of biff and barge occasionally and if the equipment ain't up to it then it just isn't worth the coin.

As stated above, the thick spokes are not as aerodynamic as steel wire spokes and won't be any lighter.

I agree with Alienator, get a mechanic to build you a set of wheels with nice hubs, rims and double butted spokes. It will last far longer than either a Ksyrium or R-sys, will not cost you any more, be just as light and will be far cheaper to maintain.