mavic rims don't *all* suck

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 29 Feb 2004 17:55:31 -0800, [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:
> >There's an interesting section on how Japanese and U.S. hard anodizing differs at the very
> >end of:
> >
> > http://www.bikepro.com/products/metals/alum.html
>
> Just a few minutes ago, catching up on this thread, I read this message:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?&selm=veO0c.25457%246K.16459%40nwrddc02.gnilink.net
>
> I guess this sarcasm isn't so preposterous after all: Matt O'Toole wrote :Gee, which type of
> anodizing adds more :rigidity, Japanese or French? Maybe Italian, where they age the rims in the
> :wine cellar, alongside the salamis, and tubular tires...

Dear Rick,

Actually, it doesn't seem to be very well-informed sarcasm.

Despite what was said in the post that you cite, the anodizing process increases the weight of the
piece being anodized, unless I've badly misunderstood basic chemistry--no aluminum is removed, but a
layer of aluminum is being oxidized, and dye is often being added. The increase in weight is small,
but easily noted when the pieces are weighed.

The difference between U.S. and Japanese anodizing techniques described by the BikePro catalogue may
no longer exist, or there may be even more differences among a wider range of rim makers.

In any case, the use of different preparation steps, different acids, and different dyes may have a
noticeable effect. In the current thread on track glue, John Everett gives a link to a study that
shows that all the glues preferred one kind of anodizing over another, clear versus hard, depending
on the glue manufacturer:

http://www.engr.ukans.edu/~ktl/bicycle/Cusa1.pdf

Something about the different glues works better with different kinds of anodizing--possibly the
dyes, maybe the kind of acid used, perhaps the temperature, voltage, or preparation. The difference
may extend to other things, like corrosion and fatigue problems.

Frankly, I'm baffled by posts claiming that various well-documented anodizing processes don't even
exist, that the different techniques cannot have any effect, and that detailed tables are somehow
utterly mistaken.

As I pointed out elsewhere in this thread, the only other weight table so far mentioned is Damon
Rinard's admirable effort, but its rim section is clearly inferior to the BikePro table.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/weights.htm

http://www.bikepro.com/products/rims/rimtables.html

Damon innocently lumped together what are actually three kinds of MA2 rims, for example, and gave
the misleading impression that their weight varies from about 444 to 480 grams, a 10% variation. The
BikePro catalogue breaks the MA2 weights down into the three sub-categories that account for the
variation, spoke eyelets that are 2-piece (464), double-wall (473), or stainless steel (485).

Differences in drilling (32-36-40) and brake-area wear might account for the other differences in
Damon's haphazard sample, as well as his use of two different scales over several years.

Again, I should add that I'd have weighed rims just as trustingly (and not nearly as well) as Damon
did. Does anyone know of a better rim-weight table than the BikePro table, which unfortunately
stopped about ten years ago? Something, perhaps from some magazine devoted to reviewing bicycles?

Carl Fogel

dianne_1234 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 1 Mar 2004 11:03:34 -0800, [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:
>
> >When the same model of rim is offered both anodized and unanodized, the anodized rim ends up a
> >bit heavier after its bath in electrified acid:
> >
> >"Hard anodizing is said to increase a rim's rigidity between 10 and 20 per cent. Somehow that
> >seems a little high, but is certainly adds something to a rim's weight, as the Rim table
> >demonstrates."
> >
> > http://www.bikepro.com/products/rims/rimover.html
> >
> >The rim table itself is at:
> >
> > http://www.bikepro.com/products/rims/rimtables.html
> >
> >The first rim in the table, for example, goes from 409 grams with clear anodizing to 413 grams
> >with hard anodizing. Presumably, the unanodized original would have been a svelte 400-405 grams.
> >
> >Carl Fogel
>
> Careful -- individual rims vary in weight even with the same finish.
>
> For examples, see http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/weights.htm#clincherrims
>
> Same model rims weighting Matrix ISO-C II 392,398,405,406,411,412,440 Mavic Open 4 CD
> 412,456,456,437,434 Mavic Reflex 422,427,427,439 Mavic Open Pro 405,424,424,437,440,441,445
>
> I'm not sure how many rims bike pro measured, but it would be simple to find one rim heavier than
> another and (erroneously) conclude it was due to different finish.

Dear Dianne,

Just a quick note--I'm looking into anodizing further and am catching faint hints that the weight
may not work at all the way that I thought.

So far, I haven't found anything clear, but it might be that more aluminum is dissolved than is
retained in the hardened oxide layer. Possibly someone who knows more can clear this up.

Carl Fogel

Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Peter <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Tim McNamara wrote:

> >> Hmm. A nice shiny clear anodized layer, would you say? That flakes off with the slightest
> >> scraping with a razor blade? That's what's on my MA2s. And it's unlike any anodizing I've ever
> >> seen.
> >
> > From the bikepro.com description:
> >
> > "The MA2 is a Box shaped extrusion, with the three exterior surfaces, both side walls and the
> > hub facing side of the spoke bed wall high polished to a bright Silver aluminum then Clear
> > anodized to harden and preserve the finish."
>
> FWIW, BikrPro was not all that accurate in their analysis of bike components. Their catalog was
> rife with errors, myths and urban legends in lieu of real facts.
>
> > Doesn't sound like a coating that would flake off.
>
> Anodizing is not applied to the metal as a coating, and hence it doesn't flake off like this.
> Anodizing is a chemical conversion of the surface of the metal. Nothing I've seen in the reading
> I've been able to do indicates that anything like "clear" anodizing exists (but perhaps I've just
> missed it). The Alodine process seems to be able to produce a clear finish, but that is an applied
> coating.

Dear Tim,

Here's a link to a brief description of "hard anodizing" that might address the flaking:

http://www.eastwestdye.com/technical_info.html

Voltage and temperature control various aspects of the anodizing process. The "hard anodizing" uses
a lower temperature and greater current (recall the BikePro comments on different U.S. and Japanese
anodizing) and, as a result, penetrates the metal as well as forming an outer layer.

While looking into anodizing, I keep getting faint hints that I may be dead wrong about the weight
gain. That is, more aluminum may dissolve into the acid solution than is retained in the formed
oxide layer. But so far, I haven't found anything that says one way or the other whether the pieces
come out of the acid bath lighter or heavier. It may even vary, according to the process and the post-
anodizing steps involving sealers.

Carl Fogel

Originally posted by Carl Fogel