Mavic rims

Bill Cotton

Guest
I trashed my rear wheel yesterday. My first impulse was to pickup another
wheel. After a night sleep, I thought why not build a wheel. I have a home
machine shop with dial indicators, retired with more time than money and I
have respoked my wheels before by replacing one at a time.
First step getting the same rim, Mavic CXP21. I couldn't find that rim
listed on Mavic site or any other web site I surfed.
My question is which rim is close to The Mavic CXP21. I found Mavic CXP22
and CXP 33 listed in several places. The other listings for Mavic have
names.

--
www.billcotton.com

On Jun 17, 5:52 am, "Bill Cotton" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I trashed my rear wheel yesterday. My first impulse was to pickup another
> wheel. After a night sleep, I thought why not build a wheel. I have a home
> machine shop with dial indicators, retired with more time than money and I
> have respoked my wheels before by replacing one at a time.
> First step getting the same rim, Mavic CXP21. I couldn't find that rim
> listed on Mavic site or any other web site I surfed.
> My question is which rim is close to The Mavic CXP21. I found Mavic CXP22
> and CXP 33 listed in several places. The other listings for Mavic have
> names.
>
> --www.billcotton.com

Velocity Aero is very close in appearance..but perhaps a better rim.
CXP-21 were OEM only, and not for sale.

I have some Velocity Aeros..$40 per..what drilling.

OBTW-good on ya building a wheel. Can be 'hard' but not diffucult. Get
Jobst's and Gerd's book for guidance.

Bill Cotton wrote:
> I trashed my rear wheel yesterday. My first impulse was to pickup another
> wheel. After a night sleep, I thought why not build a wheel. I have a home
> machine shop with dial indicators, retired with more time than money and I
> have respoked my wheels before by replacing one at a time.
> First step getting the same rim, Mavic CXP21. I couldn't find that rim
> listed on Mavic site or any other web site I surfed.
> My question is which rim is close to The Mavic CXP21. I found Mavic CXP22
> and CXP 33 listed in several places. The other listings for Mavic have
> names.

On a similar note, Mavix CX717s, where do I fnd the recommended spoke
tension? I'm assuming 70-90 kgs is ball park, but it would be nice to know.

Yes, I'm beginning to get 'mates' ask me about building wheels now :(

Tosspot wrote:
> Bill Cotton wrote:
>> I trashed my rear wheel yesterday. My first impulse was to pickup
>> another wheel. After a night sleep, I thought why not build a wheel. I
>> have a home machine shop with dial indicators, retired with more time
>> than money and I have respoked my wheels before by replacing one at a
>> time.
>> First step getting the same rim, Mavic CXP21. I couldn't find that rim
>> listed on Mavic site or any other web site I surfed.
>> My question is which rim is close to The Mavic CXP21. I found Mavic
>> CXP22 and CXP 33 listed in several places. The other listings for
>> Mavic have names.

> On a similar note, Mavix CX717s, where do I fnd the recommended spoke
> tension? I'm assuming 70-90 kgs is ball park, but it would be nice to
> know.

are you stateside? if so, call 888-gomavic. they'll tell you.

On Jun 17, 8:21 am, Tosspot <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bill Cotton wrote:
> > I trashed my rear wheel yesterday. My first impulse was to pickup another
> > wheel. After a night sleep, I thought why not build a wheel. I have a home
> > machine shop with dial indicators, retired with more time than money and I
> > have respoked my wheels before by replacing one at a time.
> > First step getting the same rim, Mavic CXP21. I couldn't find that rim
> > listed on Mavic site or any other web site I surfed.
> > My question is which rim is close to The Mavic CXP21. I found Mavic CXP22
> > and CXP 33 listed in several places. The other listings for Mavic have
> > names.

> On a similar note, Mavix CX717s, where do I fnd the recommended spoke
> tension? I'm assuming 70-90 kgs is ball park, but it would be nice to know.

90-100 kgf on front and right side rear..pretty much the same as any
wheel.

Bill Cotton said:
I trashed my rear wheel yesterday. My first impulse was to pickup another
wheel. After a night sleep, I thought why not build a wheel. I have a home
machine shop with dial indicators, retired with more time than money and I
have respoked my wheels before by replacing one at a time.
First step getting the same rim, Mavic CXP21. I couldn't find that rim
listed on Mavic site or any other web site I surfed.
My question is which rim is close to The Mavic CXP21. I found Mavic CXP22
and CXP 33 listed in several places. The other listings for Mavic have
names.

--
www.billcotton.com
Effective Rim Diameter ERD of CXP21 is 601.5 mm
If you can find a replacement with same or close ERD you can use same spokes.

"daveornee" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Bill Cotton Wrote:
>> I trashed my rear wheel yesterday. My first impulse was to pickup
>> another
>> wheel. After a night sleep, I thought why not build a wheel. I have a
>> home
>> machine shop with dial indicators, retired with more time than money
>> and I
>> have respoked my wheels before by replacing one at a time.
>> First step getting the same rim, Mavic CXP21. I couldn't find that rim
>> listed on Mavic site or any other web site I surfed.
>> My question is which rim is close to The Mavic CXP21. I found Mavic
>> CXP22
>> and CXP 33 listed in several places. The other listings for Mavic have
>> names.
>>
>> --
>> www.billcotton.com

> Effective Rim Diameter ERD of CXP21 is 601.5 mm
> If you can find a replacement with same or close ERD you can use same
> spokes.
>

> --
> daveornee

Thanks:
I located a Mavic MA3 with grommet eyelet at a LBS. Silver all over. I
bought a spry can of black paint. I will mask the sidewall and paint the
eyelet area. I've downloaded Shelton Brown's wheel building instructions,
removed the spokes and hub from the old rim; So after the paint dries, I
will begin the wheel building.
I did find sources for the Mavic CXP21, about the same price I paid for the
MA3. Also information that the CXP21 and CPX33 are similar.
Thank for the information,

Bill Cotton said:
"daveornee" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Bill Cotton Wrote:
>> I trashed my rear wheel yesterday. My first impulse was to pickup
>> another
>> wheel. After a night sleep, I thought why not build a wheel. I have a
>> home
>> machine shop with dial indicators, retired with more time than money
>> and I
>> have respoked my wheels before by replacing one at a time.
>> First step getting the same rim, Mavic CXP21. I couldn't find that rim
>> listed on Mavic site or any other web site I surfed.
>> My question is which rim is close to The Mavic CXP21. I found Mavic
>> CXP22
>> and CXP 33 listed in several places. The other listings for Mavic have
>> names.
>>
>> --
>> www.billcotton.com

> Effective Rim Diameter ERD of CXP21 is 601.5 mm
> If you can find a replacement with same or close ERD you can use same
> spokes.
>

> --
> daveornee

Thanks:
I located a Mavic MA3 with grommet eyelet at a LBS. Silver all over. I
bought a spry can of black paint. I will mask the sidewall and paint the
eyelet area. I've downloaded Shelton Brown's wheel building instructions,
removed the spokes and hub from the old rim; So after the paint dries, I
will begin the wheel building.
I did find sources for the Mavic CXP21, about the same price I paid for the
MA3. Also information that the CXP21 and CPX33 are similar.
Thank for the information,
I hope you have sucess with your MA3.
I built one and before it was finished it was cracking around the eyelets. I tensioned it evenly to 90 kgf. The cracking happened when I was stabilizing it. (AKA Mavic Method).
I took it apart and returned the cracking one and the one that was ready to be built. I got a refund and bought some Velocity rims.
A freind of mine has CXP-21 rimmed wheels that have over 12,000 miles on them. I guess I would have gone for the CXP-21 rim and used the old spokes.

portions deleted
"daveornee" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

>> Thanks:
>> I located a Mavic MA3 with grommet eyelet at a LBS. Silver all over. I
>> bought a spry can of black paint. I will mask the sidewall and paint
>> the
>> eyelet area. I've downloaded Shelton Brown's wheel building
>> instructions,
>> removed the spokes and hub from the old rim; So after the paint dries,
>> will begin the wheel building.
>> I did find sources for the Mavic CXP21, about the same price I paid for
>> the
>> MA3. Also information that the CXP21 and CPX33 are similar.
>> Thank for the information,

> I hope you have sucess with your MA3.
> I built one and before it was finished it was cracking around the
> eyelets. I tensioned it evenly to 90 kgf. The cracking happened when
> I was stabilizing it. (AKA Mavic Method).
> I took it apart and returned the cracking one and the one that was
> ready to be built. I got a refund and bought some Velocity rims.
> A freind of mine has CXP-21 rimmed wheels that have over 12,000 miles
> on them. I guess I would have gone for the CXP-21 rim and used the
> old spokes.
>

> --
> daveornee

Thanks.
I have gotten very good mileage from my CXP21 rims. About 7 years at 4k per
year. Based on your experience I plan to order the CXP21 now that I have a
source and build a spare wheel.

--
www.billcotton.com

"jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tosspot wrote:
>> Bill Cotton wrote:
>>> I trashed my rear wheel yesterday. My first impulse was to pickup
>>> another wheel. After a night sleep, I thought why not build a wheel. I
>>> have a home machine shop with dial indicators, retired with more time
>>> than money and I have respoked my wheels before by replacing one at a
>>> time.
>>> First step getting the same rim, Mavic CXP21. I couldn't find that rim
>>> listed on Mavic site or any other web site I surfed.
>>> My question is which rim is close to The Mavic CXP21. I found Mavic
>>> CXP22 and CXP 33 listed in several places. The other listings for Mavic
>>> have names.

>> On a similar note, Mavix CX717s, where do I fnd the recommended spoke
>> tension? I'm assuming 70-90 kgs is ball park, but it would be nice to
>> know.

> are you stateside? if so, call 888-gomavic. they'll tell you.

Thanks