Mavic Road Rear Derailleur

Dave Mayer

Guest
I have stumbled across a lifetime supply of NOS Mavic road components and spare parts. Vintage I
would guess to be late 80's. Headsets, freewheel hubs, and derailleurs. Help would be appreciated:

Does the Mavic 840 rear derailleur index well with Shimano 7-speed stuff? I've read in Usenet that
it works - but I've also got a new Ultegra unit, and is there really any point in installing the
Mavic if the shifting simply isn't as good? And how do I route the cable? Through or over the little
plastic thingy? Looking through Usenet, I've seen both as the correct answer.

The matching front derailleurs are braze-on units that I have not seen before. It does not fit a
standard braze-on. Did Mavic produce a clamp fort these to fit a standard steel frame?

Thanks!

dave-<< I have stumbled across a lifetime supply of NOS Mavic road components and spare parts.
Vintage I would guess to be late 80's.

<< Does the Mavic 840 rear derailleur index well with Shimano 7-speed stuff?

Not up on my Mavic numbers but this is the non-slant parallogram rder?(late 80s?)-if so-not index
compatible at all. If the newer slant parallogram rder-yes, shimano compatible with evrything but DA
8s shifters.

<< And how do I route the cable? Through or over the little plastic thingy?

That thing was always a mystery, try over it.-

<< The matching front derailleurs are braze-on units that I have not seen before. It does not fit a
standard braze-on. Did Mavic produce a clamp fort these to fit a standard steel frame?

Should have a concave plate and bolt like a lot of braze-on fders.

"Dave Mayer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have stumbled across a lifetime supply of NOS Mavic road components and spare parts. Vintage I
> would guess to be late 80's. Headsets, freewheel hubs, and derailleurs. Help would be appreciated:
>
> Does the Mavic 840 rear derailleur index well with Shimano 7-speed stuff? I've read in Usenet that
> it works - but I've also got a new Ultegra unit, and is there really any point in installing the
> Mavic if the shifting
simply
> isn't as good? And how do I route the cable? Through or over the little plastic thingy? Looking
> through Usenet, I've seen both as the correct answer.
>
> The matching front derailleurs are braze-on units that I have not seen before. It does not fit a
> standard braze-on. Did Mavic produce a clamp fort these to fit a standard steel frame?

Don't think they did, but the currrent Sachs/SRAM clip is available at any LBS for $15 in 28.6, 31.8
and 34.8mm. It's a nice plain piece of polished alimunum that won't clash with your Mavic aesthetic.

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 08:48:09 GMT, "Dave Mayer" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Does the Mavic 840 rear derailleur index well with Shimano 7-speed stuff?

The 840 series derailleur indexes with Mavic's own 821 shift levers with Shimano six or seven speed
freewheels and cassettes (and other rear clusters with Shimano-compatible spacing). The derailleur
is frequently acceptable with Ultegra or 105 series levers as well.

>I've read in Usenet that it works - but I've also got a new Ultegra unit, and is there really
>any point in installing the Mavic if the shifting simply isn't as good? And how do I route the
>cable? Through or over the little plastic thingy? Looking through Usenet, I've seen both as the
>correct answer.

For seven-speed operation, the cable goes through the plastic thingy. It goes around it for more
cable pull for six-speed use.

>The matching front derailleurs are braze-on units that I have not seen before. It does not fit a
>standard braze-on. Did Mavic produce a clamp fort these to fit a standard steel frame?

As someone else noted, these are probably for the French "Simplex" style frame braze-on (Mavic
reference 811). You could switch the derailleur parts onto a Mavic clamp-on fitting (Mavic reference
810) or onto the bracket for the more common Italian style brazed on fitting (Mavic reference 812),
but good luck finding either of them.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles
Miami, Florida
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Now in our twentieth year. Our catalogue of track equipment: seventh
year online

In article <[email protected]>, Dave Mayer <[email protected]> wrote:
>I have stumbled across a lifetime supply of NOS Mavic road components and spare parts. Vintage I
>would guess to be late 80's. Headsets, freewheel hubs, and derailleurs. Help would be appreciated:
>
>Does the Mavic 840 rear derailleur index well with Shimano 7-speed stuff? I've read in Usenet that
>it works - but I've also got a new Ultegra unit, and is there really any point in installing the
>Mavic if the shifting simply isn't as good?

It's so retro-Euro-cool you just have to try. All other arguments don't matter. :)

--Paul

Dave,

Dave Mayer wrote:
> I have stumbled across a lifetime supply of NOS Mavic road components and spare parts. Vintage I
> would guess to be late 80's. Headsets, freewheel hubs, and derailleurs. Help would be appreciated:

What a nice find! These are cool parts. I have a Schwinn Paramount set up with most of this group.

> Does the Mavic 840 rear derailleur index well with Shimano 7-speed stuff?

The Mavic technical reference for the 840 claims it will work with "evenly spaced six, seven and
eight speed freewheels". I find the 840 works pretty well set up for 8 speed Shimano spacing. While
I have heard folks come up with lots of different anecdotal ways of arranging the cable and plastic
cable guide to shift clamp, to shift other spacing, I have only had success shifting 8 speed Shimano
gears and using the guide said toward the crankset. That said, I have only tried with the 821
indexed shifters and Sachs Ergo shifters.

> I've read in Usenet that it works - but I've also got a new Ultegra unit, and is there really any
> point in installing the Mavic if the shifting simply isn't as good?

The Mavic 840 had durability the Ultegra will never achieve. The Ultegra will shift more crisply
than the 840 and weighs a great deal less than the 840. If you are using STI, especially 9 speed,
don't bother with the Mavic. If you are using 8 speed and like the cool look of the Mavic (and don't
mind the added weight), go for it! I love it!

> And how do I route the cable? Through or over the little plastic thingy? Looking through Usenet,
> I've seen both as the correct answer.

According to the manual, if you are shifting 7 or 8 speed, turn the pivot down and pass the cable
around the outside of the pivot. I did not find this to be optimal for my 8 speed Dura Ace cassette.

I've tried both down and flat against the parallelogram extensively. If you are using 8 speed
indexing, with Mavic shifters, simply leave the plastic guide resting up against the parallelogram,
routing the cable around the underside of it and then up to the cable clamp. I find the shifting
flawless, despite what my manual says.

> The matching front derailleurs are braze-on units that I have not seen before. It does not fit a
> standard braze-on. Did Mavic produce a clamp fort these to fit a standard steel frame?

My manual does not cover this unit, though a few others in this forum seem to have a reasonable
answer to your question. I have used the standard Mavic 870 front double braze-on, with no problem
in a braze-on frame and a Shimano braze-on adapter.

> Thanks!

Hope this helps,

Terry

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
news:[email protected]...
> dave-<< I have stumbled across a lifetime supply of NOS Mavic road
components
> and spare parts. Vintage I would guess to be late 80's.
>

> << Does the Mavic 840 rear derailleur index well with Shimano 7-speed
stuff?

> Not up on my Mavic numbers but this is the non-slant parallogram
rder?(late
> 80s?)-if so-not index compatible at all. If the newer slant parallogram rder-yes, shimano
> compatible with evrything but DA 8s shifters.
>
> << And how do I route the cable? Through or over the little plastic thingy?
>
> That thing was always a mystery, try over it.-
>
> << The matching front derailleurs are braze-on units that I have not seen before. It does not fit
> a standard braze-on. Did Mavic produce a clamp fort these to fit a standard steel frame?
>
> Should have a concave plate and bolt like a lot of braze-on fders.

Not if it's the Simplex-type body. There were 3 diff. front versions

Braze-on, simplex-type Braze-on, normal standard Clip-on, 28mm (french)

Michael

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 21:25:09 GMT, [email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote:

>>Does the Mavic 840 rear derailleur index well with Shimano 7-speed stuff? I've read in Usenet that
>>it works - but I've also got a new Ultegra unit, and is there really any point in installing the
>>Mavic if the shifting simply isn't as good?
>
>It's so retro-Euro-cool you just have to try. All other arguments don't matter. :)

I'll not dispute the cool factor, but from a strict performance standpoint the Ultegra option
deserves respect. Mavic's derailleur guide pulley had no lateral float and keeping the chain
centered under each sprocket relied in part on adjusting the amount of jiggle in the detents of the
right 821shifter. As a system, the floating guide pulley (Shimano, and subsequently adopted by
others) is less fussy to set up. If you're going to going to indulge in "retro-Euro-cool", it might
be even better to pair the derailleur with the Simplex/Mavic retrofriction levers.

-----
http://www.businesscycles.com Business Cycles Miami, Florida
-----
Now in our twentieth year. Our catalog of track equipment: seventh year online

The Mavic front derailleurs I've found mount to something (?) on the seat tube via a bolt that is
oriented 90 degrees from any other braze-on that I have seen. The mounting bolt would be oriented so
that it screws on to the side of the seat tube.

"> > << The matching front derailleurs are braze-on units that I have not seen
> > before. It does not fit a standard braze-on. Did Mavic produce a clamp fort these to fit a
> > standard steel frame?
> >
> > Should have a concave plate and bolt like a lot of braze-on fders.
>
> Not if it's the Simplex-type body. There were 3 diff. front versions
>
> Braze-on, simplex-type Braze-on, normal standard Clip-on, 28mm (french)
>
> Michael

> "> > << The matching front derailleurs are braze-on units that I have not seen
> > > before. It does not fit a standard braze-on. Did Mavic produce a
clamp
> > > fort these to fit a standard steel frame?
> > >
> > > Should have a concave plate and bolt like a lot of braze-on fders.
> >
> > Not if it's the Simplex-type body. There were 3 diff. front versions
> >
> > Braze-on, simplex-type Braze-on, normal standard Clip-on, 28mm (french)

"Dave Mayer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The Mavic front derailleurs I've found mount to something (?) on the seat tube via a bolt that is
> oriented 90 degrees from any other braze-on that I have seen. The mounting bolt would be oriented
> so that it screws on to
the
> side of the seat tube.

That's a Simplex braze-on mount. It takes a 5mm water-bottle boss in the plane of the BB spindle.
Difficult/impossible to arrange a clamp for that model but a RivNut works just fine. Other Mavic
models used the Campagnolo-style braze-on mount.

Here are the two styles, for those unfamiliar with the Simplex type.

"Dave Mayer" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
news:[email protected]...
> The Mavic front derailleurs I've found mount to something (?) on the seat tube via a bolt that is
> oriented 90 degrees from any other braze-on that I have seen. The mounting bolt would be oriented
> so that it screws on to
the
> side of the seat tube.

Simplex-type braze-on. It is for french tubing (28mm)

Michael

Oops forgot the link http://www.yellowjersey.org/bzfd.html

"Waal" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Simplex-type braze-on. It is for french tubing (28mm)

Many of those front changers came with a black rectangular nylon pad that fit between the changer
and the seat tube to accomodate either 28.0 or 28.6 with the same derailleur.