Mavic SSC SL woes



ibicycle

New Member
Jan 13, 2004
8
0
0
Dudes,
I'm 180 lbs. and used these for recreational riding. I,ve now had 2 failures of the rims which split at the spoke holes on the rear. I went for the $170 Mavic rebuild once but not again. Fool me once... Anybody else had problems? Yea I know these are a nice light set of wheels. The shop where I bought them gave me the ol' song and dance about your'e buying lightweight racing wheels, you can't expect them to last like the 36 hole Dura Ace, Mavic open CDs you spect when you got the bike. Yes but for the money I should get much more durability and reasonably priced rebuilds. Any thoughts?
Later, Dave
 

artmichalek

New Member
Sep 15, 2004
2,010
0
0
40
This seems to be a common problem with those wheels. How many miles had you ridden for each failure.
 

OCRoadie

New Member
Oct 5, 2004
301
0
0
50
Sorry to hear that. I bought my SL's last Sept and have around 4,000 carefree miles on them. I weigh 165 -175 depending on what time of year it is. I had read numerous horror stories similar to yours on Roadbikereview. The great reviews outweighed the bad ones, and I decided to go for it. One of my LBS bike shop owners recomends the Elites for rides in the 180 lb and up range, after your frustration you may want to look outside of the Mavic line, it's BS that they can't stand behind their product.
 

gregkeller

New Member
Jul 22, 2003
134
0
0
I wonder if this is some kind of quality control issue, because i'm a 195 lb rider and have put over 4000 miles on my Ksyrium SSL's and never a problem. I don't feel as if i'm any gentler to them than anyone else. I have actually had more problems with regular spoked/open pro wheels than these. Not trying to justify mavic at all, because for 800 bucks these things should have more of a warranty behind them.
 

tanggoman

New Member
Sep 22, 2003
469
0
0
55
ibicycle said:
Dudes,
I'm 180 lbs. and used these for recreational riding. I,ve now had 2 failures of the rims which split at the spoke holes on the rear. I went for the $170 Mavic rebuild once but not again. Fool me once... Anybody else had problems? Yea I know these are a nice light set of wheels. The shop where I bought them gave me the ol' song and dance about your'e buying lightweight racing wheels, you can't expect them to last like the 36 hole Dura Ace, Mavic open CDs you spect when you got the bike. Yes but for the money I should get much more durability and reasonably priced rebuilds. Any thoughts?
Later, Dave

Is this the newer model SSCs, colored silver? These are just but one of the common problems of these wheels for riders weighing more than 180lbs. Although I weigh in just about 155lbs, this again made me more convinced not to buy these set of wheels.
 

PeterF

New Member
Sep 13, 2004
983
0
0
ibicycle said:
Dudes,
I'm 180 lbs. and used these for recreational riding. I,ve now had 2 failures of the rims which split at the spoke holes on the rear. I went for the $170 Mavic rebuild once but not again. Fool me once... Anybody else had problems? Yea I know these are a nice light set of wheels. The shop where I bought them gave me the ol' song and dance about your'e buying lightweight racing wheels, you can't expect them to last like the 36 hole Dura Ace, Mavic open CDs you spect when you got the bike. Yes but for the money I should get much more durability and reasonably priced rebuilds. Any thoughts?
Later, Dave
I had the same problem only with the Elite's. I'm a big guy (225) and I switched this year to Campy Protons. Saved a bundle and they are stiffer and tougher (and even lighter than the Elite's). I won't go back...
 

PeterF

New Member
Sep 13, 2004
983
0
0
gregkeller said:
I wonder if this is some kind of quality control issue, because i'm a 195 lb rider and have put over 4000 miles on my Ksyrium SSL's and never a problem. I don't feel as if i'm any gentler to them than anyone else. I have actually had more problems with regular spoked/open pro wheels than these. Not trying to justify mavic at all, because for 800 bucks these things should have more of a warranty behind them.
I agree about the spoked open pros. People swear by them, but I used to break spokes all the time with them.
 

JTE83

Member
Jan 28, 2004
1,390
18
0
I went from 186 lbs to 145 lbs using the 2004 Ksyrium SSC SLs and they never failed me. Did 1462.9 miles on them and so far they're fine but slightly untrue due to 2 crashes front and rear. Ksyrium hubs are very frictionless compared to other wheels like the Bontrager Race X Lites or the Campagnolo Eurus. I just bought the Eurus from ebay and I hate the tight friction from record grade hubs. So if I had to get another set of race wheels that are affordable I'd go with the Bontrager Race X Lites. Zipp 404s would be the top choice with their frictionless hubs but they are so expensive!
 

rv

New Member
Apr 13, 2002
331
0
0
PeterF said:
I agree about the spoked open pros. People swear by them, but I used to break spokes all the time with them.

did you really break spokes, or did you break alloy nipples?
 

gregkeller

New Member
Jul 22, 2003
134
0
0
I broke spokes, just got my powertap wheel back after i broke a spoke , broke about half an inch above where the spoke fits in the hub, this isn't the first time with a regular wheel that this has happened, never with this wheel before but it's only 6 months old.
 

Similar threads