mavic vs campy vs rolf vs easton vs ....

gtop46

Nov 29, 2007
I want to buy a wheelset from 600-900$ and i want your opinion. I want this wheel for road racing but also for trials and training. I think the rolf vigor 2008 is a good aero wheelset but i don't know about their stiffess (they have only 14/16 spokes). The new easton ea90 are very beatiful and have a 30 mm rim and weight only 1545. What's your opinion ?

gtop46 said:
I want to buy a wheelset from 600-900$ and i want your opinion. I want this wheel for road racing but also for trials and training. I think the rolf vigor 2008 is a good aero wheelset but i don't know about their stiffess (they have only 14/16 spokes). The new easton ea90 are very beatiful and have a 30 mm rim and weight only 1545. What's your opinion ?
I'd say go with Mavic since you can get a nice set of wheels for aroun 800 bucks, depending how hard you shop.

How aero do you want your wheels to be? I dont think it makes a big difference, I mean Mavic spent countless hours of research and development on the Mavic ksyrium ES wheelset. I would like to have a set of these but they cost way too much for my budget and for my tranining I dont need them.

I have a set of K-ES but you'll find the prevailing opinion on this forum is that there are 'better' wheelsets for the money. But what difference does it translate to in a race, who knows? :rolleyes:

gtop46 said:
The new easton ea90 are very beatiful and have a 30 mm rim and weight only 1545. What's your opinion ?
Why not go with the easton tempest II alu which is the same wheelset as the ea90 - except they have the older/original velomax r3 hubs instead of the r4 hubs. Because ea90 with r4 is coming out now for 2008 the tempest II is being discontinued. You can find them on sale for like 400 euros which is a super deal!

Been riding them for a year now - they spin super smooth:)

/ezzy

ezzy said:
Why not go with the easton tempest II alu which is the same wheelset as the ea90 - except they have the older/original velomax r3 hubs instead of the r4 hubs. Because ea90 with r4 is coming out now for 2008 the tempest II is being discontinued. You can find them on sale for like 400 euros which is a super deal!

Been riding them for a year now - they spin super smooth:)

/ezzy
+1 on this. I did the same thing, and picked up the Tempest IIs for a significant discount.

I think these are super deals but i prefer the new. The tempest ii are 2004 model ! Has anyone ride the rolf vigors? I heard that they are very fast.

I build my own now. I purchased a truing stand, and a spoke tensionmeter. Bought a couple books, read the various helpful threads on this site, and still saved about $150 on the rear wheel. I used a Flashpoint hub, Saprim CX-Ray spokes, and a Velocity Aerohead rim. Weight is under 800 grams for the rear wheel. Plus, I built it during winter, whatelse can I do with my time.

Do you know any online store that sells easton tempest ii carbon for about 1000$ ?

look for Bontrager Aero X-lite Carbon on e-bay. if you are lucky enough to find a new set, you will be very happy with them. they are light (1400grams), bullet proof and really nice looking too.

I rode a set of Rolf Vector Pro's for about a year, the predecessor to the Vigor and pretty much the same wheel. Very stiff, in fact brutally stiff.

JohnO said:
I rode a set of Rolf Vector Pro's for about a year, the predecessor to the Vigor and pretty much the same wheel. Very stiff, in fact brutally stiff.
I have rode the Rolf Vigor and their Elan and they are very stiff wheels, it was explained to me when I was researching them that they can actually put more tension in the wheel because of the pairing of spokes so the low spoke count shouldnt scare you. I thought they were awsome wheels and very fast. I just picked up a set of their Echelons for training - they have the 2007's on closeout directly on their website, I'm not sure if they are offering the Vigor too, but worth a check.

Ne2cyc said:
I have rode the Rolf Vigor and their Elan and they are very stiff wheels, it was explained to me when I was researching them that they can actually put more tension in the wheel because of the pairing of spokes so the low spoke count shouldnt scare you. I thought they were awsome wheels and very fast. I just picked up a set of their Echelons for training - they have the 2007's on closeout directly on their website, I'm not sure if they are offering the Vigor too, but worth a check.

Cool marketing spiel!

So, anyone want to say why you need more tension than what is necessary to put the spoke(s) in the elastic portion of the stress/strain curve? Uh, it's not.

More tension is like stiffness, vertical compliance, and vibration damping: it's a tasty morsel for consumers to swallow.

i am between fulcrum racing 1 , mavic ksyrium es and easton tempest ii alu. Fulcrums are the best for sprints and weight the same as eastons . Eastons are the fastest and cheapest and mavics are the lightest . Which are the best ?:confused: