mavic vs campy vs rolf vs easton vs ....

gtop46 said:
Has anyone a different opinion?

Sure, go/talk to somebody that can design a wheelset specifically for you and your needs and keep the overmarketed, poorly made wheelsouttaboxes in the box. DA or Record or DT hubs, rims and spoke counts depending on you and your needs. Less than the wheels(Mavic has a very poor rear hub), doesn't use unique to these wheels parts, will be lighter, more reliable and....cheaper.

Peter@vecchios said:
Sure, go/talk to somebody that can design a wheelset specifically for you and your needs and keep the overmarketed, poorly made wheelsouttaboxes in the box. DA or Record or DT hubs, rims and spoke counts depending on you and your needs. Less than the wheels(Mavic has a very poor rear hub), doesn't use unique to these wheels parts, will be lighter, more reliable and....cheaper.
can you tell me an online store where i can buy the rims and the hubs ?

gtop46 said:
i am between fulcrum racing 1 , mavic ksyrium es and easton tempest ii alu. Fulcrums are the best for sprints and weight the same as eastons . Eastons are the fastest and cheapest and mavics are the lightest . Which are the best ?:confused:
the weight really is going to be around the same on these three wheels as Mavic is always off on their weights, actual to marketing weights and how fast a wheel is depends on how areo it is. The ES only has a 22mm rim depth making it more of a climbing wheel so I would say its down to the Fulcrum or Easton set and there is a price difference for sure.

I think handbuilt wheels aren't better if you want to give a small amount of money

artemidorus said:
What don't you like about it?

Plastic bushing at the bottom of the freehub makes for a very draggy freehub, that needs a lot of cleaning, OILING. mavic said it was soft pawls(what a hoot) that was creating dust. It's really just a poor design.

gtop46 said:
I think handbuilt wheels aren't better if you want to give a small amount of money

Compare hubs to hubs on a set of handbuilts and wheelsouttaboxes'. The cheap wheels also have cheap hubs, poor builds..but it's your $.

Peter@vecchios said:
Plastic bushing at the bottom of the freehub makes for a very draggy freehub, that needs a lot of cleaning, OILING. mavic said it was soft pawls(what a hoot) that was creating dust. It's really just a poor design.
The FTS-L freehub (I think that's what I have) needs 10min stripping down and 1c of baby oil every 6 months. Hardly a lot of cleaning. The freehub is definitely a little draggier than Shimano - I'd be interested in seeing wattage figures. Of course, it's only dragging when you're coasting - a lot of people criticise the plastic bush without noting that it is only spinning when unloaded. The bearing at the other end of the freehub, when spins when loaded or not, is a cartridge bearing like the main hub bearings.

gtop46 said:
i am between fulcrum racing 1 , mavic ksyrium es and easton tempest ii alu. Fulcrums are the best for sprints and weight the same as eastons . Eastons are the fastest and cheapest and mavics are the lightest . Which are the best ?:confused:
The decision between these is easy. Ksyrium ES, with fat alloy spokes and box rims, is high drag, so it gets thrown in the skip first. The next is the Racing 1, which, although it has better rims than the Mavic wheel, also has fat, high-drag alloy spokes so it hits the skip too. That leaves the Tempest II - bladed steel spokes, deepest rim of the three, nice and light - what's not to like?

artemidorus said:
The FTS-L freehub (I think that's what I have) needs 10min stripping down and 1c of baby oil every 6 months. Hardly a lot of cleaning. The freehub is definitely a little draggier than Shimano - I'd be interested in seeing wattage figures. Of course, it's only dragging when you're coasting - a lot of people criticise the plastic bush without noting that it is only spinning when unloaded. The bearing at the other end of the freehub, when spins when loaded or not, is a cartridge bearing like the main hub bearings.

I'll send you a picture the next time we see a RD that was ripped off the bike because the freehub stopped freewheeling. This is on some of their $1000+ wheels, I would think they could do a better job, particularly from a company that used to make such nice hubs. Plus, still stuck in the past with only 2 pawls. Break one and you will break the other. But if ya like these, groovy. I still think a set using DA or Record hubs is a better idea..much better hub, the thing that should last the longest on a set of wheels.

Peter@vecchios said:
I'll send you a picture the next time we see a RD that was ripped off the bike because the freehub stopped freewheeling. This is on some of their $1000+ wheels, I would think they could do a better job, particularly from a company that used to make such nice hubs. Plus, still stuck in the past with only 2 pawls. Break one and you will break the other. But if ya like these, groovy. I still think a set using DA or Record hubs is a better idea..much better hub, the thing that should last the longest on a set of wheels.
As I understand it, the freehubs only lock up if neglected, and usually announce the impending disaster by squealing for quite a few km beforehand. I agree that they are only for someone with a little bit of mechanical ability and a maintenance conscience, or a supported pro. I'm not trying to suggest that I prefer this hub to a cup and cone Shimano one (not keen on Campy because of the bloody noisy freehub), not least because I can maintain such hubs at minimal cost for many years, but I wouldn't allow the Mavic hub to stop me buying the wheels I want (in my case, Cosmic Carbone SL). I certainly wouldn't put up with the hub to have any of the Ksyrium wheels.

artemidorus said:
As I understand it, the freehubs only lock up if neglected, and usually announce the impending disaster by squealing for quite a few km beforehand. I agree that they are only for someone with a little bit of mechanical ability and a maintenance conscience, or a supported pro. I'm not trying to suggest that I prefer this hub to a cup and cone Shimano one (not keen on Campy because of the bloody noisy freehub), not least because I can maintain such hubs at minimal cost for many years, but I wouldn't allow the Mavic hub to stop me buying the wheels I want (in my case, Cosmic Carbone SL). I certainly wouldn't put up with the hub to have any of the Ksyrium wheels.

Same hub on the Carbone, innards wise. Think a wheel good or other-ness is the package, not just the rim/spokes. AND new 7800/7810/7850 DA rear hub is a 3 pawl design VERY similar to Campagl. Poor design, IMO, for a wheeslet that is in the $800 to $2000 range. Mavic could do better if they wanted to, but obviously don't.

Peter@vecchios said:
Same hub on the Carbone, innards wise. Think a wheel good or other-ness is the package, not just the rim/spokes. AND new 7800/7810/7850 DA rear hub is a 3 pawl design VERY similar to Campagl. Poor design, IMO, for a wheeslet that is in the $800 to $2000 range. Mavic could do better if they wanted to, but obviously don't.
Yes, I know that the FTS-L hub is on Cos Car and Ksy, I wouldn't have a Ksyrium mainly because of the spokes.
Do you mean that the new DA hub is poor design? Is it as noisy as Campag?

artemidorus said:
Yes, I know that the FTS-L hub is on Cos Car and Ksy, I wouldn't have a Ksyrium mainly because of the spokes.
Do you mean that the new DA hub is poor design? Is it as noisy as Campag?
You implied Campag hubs were 'poor' due to noise, not me. Noise because of 3 pawls is a GOOD thing.
Since it is like the Record hub...it is a GREAT design. 3 pawls equal some noise
but also reliability. Either a rising disc ala DT or 3 pawls..all else is so '20th century'.

Peter@vecchios said:
You implied Campag hubs were 'poor' due to noise, not me.
Not true. This is what you said ,"...DA rear hub is a 3 pawl design VERY similar to Campagl. Poor design, IMO...". I just wanted to clarify whether you thought the DA hubs were poorly designed, and am glad to learn that this is not what you meant.
Shimano freehubs, typically very quiet, have had 3 pawls for a long time, have they not?

artemidorus said:
Not true. This is what you said ,"...DA rear hub is a 3 pawl design VERY similar to Campagl. Poor design, IMO...". I just wanted to clarify whether you thought the DA hubs were poorly designed, and am glad to learn that this is not what you meant.
Shimano freehubs, typically very quiet, have had 3 pawls for a long time, have they not?

Not...7800, 10s rears(10s only, BTW) were their first 3 pawl rear hub..in about 2004. Campag has been 3 pawl for over 18 years(since 1990 or so).

The freehub on my Campy Zonda wheelset is fairly quiet. You want noise? Nothing beats the DT hubs on Rolf wheelsets, with their 'strafed by Stukas' sound: crack-crack-crack.

Then again, the DT hubs are very solid, so maybe a bit more noise isn't necessarily a bad thing.

What do you thing about the american classic 420 wheelset ? Can you also give me a good link for this wheelset ? I have find the planet x pro carbon 50 for 700 $. Does anyone know about this wheels ?

gtop46 said:
What do you thing about the american classic 420 wheelset ? Can you also give me a good link for this wheelset ? I have find the planet x pro carbon 50 for 700 $. Does anyone know about this wheels ?

Like most wheelsouttaboxes, the weak point is the hubs. Really complicated pawl system on the rear, teeny bearings on the front(how many acheive low weights, mostly the low weight front hub). No decent wheelbuilders ion your area?