Mavic X 618 ceramic rims

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Daniel Holden, Apr 30, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    just a question if anybody has tried these rims and what they think of it? How much did you spend on
    them and what type of valves are they made for?

    Thanks

    Daniel

    Tags:

  2. David Newman

    David Newman Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Daniel
    Holden) wrote:

    > just a question if anybody has tried these rims and what they think of it? How much did you spend
    > on them and what type of valves are they made for?

    I think they're fine. I don't remember the cost. Mine are drilled for presta.

    The LBS sold me on them on the grounds that they are sturdier than x517. IIRC, they are supposed to
    be sturdier due to having eyelets where the x517 doesn't. The LBS' story was that the additional
    eyelets makes them a little heavier but stronger than x517. I don't really know if this is true, but
    I bought the story at the time and I haven't had any trouble with them since they broke in and the
    brake squeal stopped.

    >>Dave

  3. K&C Russell

    K&C Russell Guest

    "David Newman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Daniel
    > Holden) wrote:
    >
    > > just a question if anybody has tried these rims and what they think of it? How much did you
    > > spend on them and what type of valves are they made for?
    >
    > I think they're fine. I don't remember the cost. Mine are drilled for presta.
    >
    > The LBS sold me on them on the grounds that they are sturdier than x517. IIRC, they are supposed
    > to be sturdier due to having eyelets where the x517 doesn't. The LBS' story was that the
    > additional eyelets makes them a little heavier but stronger than x517. I don't really know if this
    > is true, but I bought the story at the time and I haven't had any trouble with them since they
    > broke in and the brake squeal stopped.
    >
    > >>Dave

    Both X517 (395g) and X618 (450g & anodised) have eyelets.

    Kevin

  4. David Newman

    David Newman Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "K&C Russell" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "David Newman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:D[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Daniel
    > > Holden) wrote:
    > >
    > > > just a question if anybody has tried these rims and what they think of it? How much did you
    > > > spend on them and what type of valves are they made for?
    > >
    > > I think they're fine. I don't remember the cost. Mine are drilled for presta.
    > >
    > > The LBS sold me on them on the grounds that they are sturdier than x517. IIRC, they are supposed
    > > to be sturdier due to having eyelets where the x517 doesn't. The LBS' story was that the
    > > additional eyelets makes them a little heavier but stronger than x517. I don't really know if
    > > this is true, but I bought the story at the time and I haven't had any trouble with them since
    > > they broke in and the brake squeal stopped.

    > Both X517 (395g) and X618 (450g & anodised) have eyelets.
    >
    > Kevin

    Yes. I meant to suggest that the x618 has more eyelets than the 517. As Mavic's website says, the
    x618 has "double eyelets." I apologize if I expressed myself poorly.