Mavic X139 or Bontrager Maverick? (Which is better)

mark0127

Jan 5, 2012
Hi,
I have a question regarding two different rims. My 2004 Trek Fuel 70 frame cracked and I replaced it with a 2003 Cannondale F-300. I ride primarily in the cith but occasionally ride on trails and bike paths, nothing terribly rough in terms of terrain. My question is, should I use the rims that came with the Cannondale or the ones I had on the Trek Fuel 70? Also curious which tires are a better choice for city and bike path riding. My only concern is durability and to a lesser extent, speed.

The rims on the Cannondale are Mavic X139 with IRC tires and the ones from the Trek are Bontrager Maverick rims with Bontrager Comfort Hard Case Triple Protection tires.
If anyone can help me with this question, it would be greatly appreciated!

FWIW. I thought that MAVIC used the 'X' designation to indicate that the rim was intended for, but not necessarily exclusive to, use on wheels built with disc hubs ... maybe not.

• and so, I presume your Trek Fuel wheelset had disc brakes, but maybe not!?!

Whether-or-not THAT is true about the 'X' designtion, if I were you then I would probably continue to use the wheelset which came on your Cannondale unless you have a burning reason to use your older wheels. That is, save the other set until you have a better reason to use them.

BTW. How did you crack your Trek's frame if you only ride on pavement & presumably-easy trails?

[SIZE= medium]Thank you for the reply. I’m really not that conversant or knowledgeable on the subject which is the reason I created the posting. I was just curious which of the two manufactures I’d be better off with.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= medium]As far as the frame crack, it’s a complete mystery to me. I can only speculate that I went off a curb a bit too hard and a hairline crack developed and it eventually separated and cracked completely.[/SIZE]

FWIW. By my recollection ([COLOR= #808080]it seems as though it was a long time ago[/COLOR]) Trek bought out MATRIX ([COLOR= #808080]a rim manufacturer[/COLOR]) + a lot of other boutique ([COLOR= #808080]for want of a better label[/COLOR]) component manufacturers and relabeled the boutique components with other trade names which they had also acquired ([COLOR= #808080]e.g., Bontrager[/COLOR]) ...

Unfortunately, probably due to their bean counters, Trek has ([COLOR= #808080]IMO[/COLOR]) diluted the value of some of the labels which they own by applying them to a broad range of components of varying quality ...

It seems that MAVIC rims achieved a level of favor amongst many wheel builders because ([COLOR= #808080]and, this is just MY opinion[/COLOR]) many of their readily available rims are-or-were double-eyeleted ... double-eyeleted rims ([COLOR= #808080]e.g. MAVIC Open Pro[/COLOR]) can be laced in [COLOR= #008000]less than half the time[/COLOR] it takes to lace a rim which is not double-eyeleted ...

And, MAVIC was the first (AFAIK) to offer a boutique wheelset ([COLOR= #808080]i.e. the MAVIC Helium which used red anodized MAVIC Open 4 rims -- a 28h rear wheel + I think an inexplicable radially laced 26h front wheel[/COLOR]) ... a few years later, their Ksyrium SSC wheels with flat aluminum spokes and a very low combined weight hit the market ...

Plus, MAVIC has been very aggressive in marketing ([COLOR= #808080]nothing wrong with that[/COLOR]).

Meanwhile, Dietrich Rolf was doing his thing while he was an "employee" at Trek ...

Et cetera ...

Regardless, the rims on both wheelsets should serve you well.

If 'I' had to guess, I would say that the Bontrager Maverick rims should be better than the particular MAVIC rims if Trek hasn't diluted the sub-category of rims which have the Maverick moniker.

BTW. There are several other very good rim manufacturers.