Mavid Open Pro & Velocity Aerohead ride quality?

RS

Guest
I like the idea of the Velocity OCR rear for a stronger, longer lasting rear
wheel and have used one set of Aerohead wheels and am happy with
them. The Mavic OP is one of the industry standard rims, would there
be much ride quality difference between the two, all else being equal?

28/2x front 14/15 spokes 32/3x rear 14/15 spokes DA7700 hubs
spokes either Sapim Race or DT Competition.

thanks to all Rick

On Mar 10, 1:14 pm, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
> I like the idea of the Velocity OCR rear for a stronger, longer lasting rear
> wheel and have used one set of Aerohead wheels and am happy with
> them.  The Mavic OP is one of the industry standard rims, would there
> be much ride quality difference between the two, all else being equal?
>
> 28/2x front 14/15 spokes     32/3x rear 14/15 spokes  DA7700 hubs
> spokes either Sapim Race or DT Competition.
>
> thanks to all  Rick

Both are well made rims. I like the OCR design and have found that
the Aerohead OCR is a good, straight rim that is easy to build (albeit
somewhat slower to build due to the deeper profile and lack of spoke
sockets -- I always lose at least one nipple in to the rim). You can
produce cracking around the spoke holes with tensions above 130 kgf
(factory recommended tension is around 110Kgf). If you are a heavier
rider, you should consider a heavier rim or threadlock. If you can
tell the difference in ride quality between rims in the same weight/
width range, you should have your own TV show. -- Jay Beattie.

RS wrote:
> I like the idea of the Velocity OCR rear for a stronger, longer lasting rear
> wheel and have used one set of Aerohead wheels and am happy with
> them. The Mavic OP is one of the industry standard rims, would there
> be much ride quality difference between the two, all else being equal?
>
> 28/2x front 14/15 spokes 32/3x rear 14/15 spokes DA7700 hubs
> spokes either Sapim Race or DT Competition.

If you're an average weight rider riding with average levels of rim
abuse, I'd suggest an Aerohead OC rear, Aerohead front. Big guys (200+)
will want to look at heavier rims. And wider tires.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Mar 10, 4:57 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> RS wrote:
> > I like the idea of the Velocity OCR rear for a stronger, longer lasting rear
> > wheel and have used one set of Aerohead wheels and am happy with
> > them.  The Mavic OP is one of the industry standard rims, would there
> > be much ride quality difference between the two, all else being equal?

> > 28/2x front 14/15 spokes     32/3x rear 14/15 spokes  DA7700 hubs
> > spokes either Sapim Race or DT Competition.

> If you're an average weight rider riding with average levels of rim
> abuse, I'd suggest an Aerohead OC rear, Aerohead front. Big guys (200+)
> will want to look at heavier rims. And wider tires.
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

But Andrew, you didn't answer the question about ride quality
differences between the Open Pro and Aerohead.

On Mar 10, 4:20 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 10, 4:57 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > RS wrote:
> > > I like the idea of the Velocity OCR rear for a stronger, longer lasting rear
> > > wheel and have used one set of Aerohead wheels and am happy with
> > > them.  The Mavic OP is one of the industry standard rims, would there
> > > be much ride quality difference between the two, all else being equal?

> > > 28/2x front 14/15 spokes     32/3x rear 14/15 spokes  DA7700 hubs
> > > spokes either Sapim Race or DT Competition.

> > If you're an average weight rider riding with average levels of rim
> > abuse, I'd suggest an Aerohead OC rear, Aerohead front. Big guys (200+)
> > will want to look at heavier rims. And wider tires.
> > --
> > Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> > Open every day since 1 April, 1971

> But Andrew, you didn't answer the question about ride quality
> differences between the Open Pro and Aerohead.

I found that ride quality on the Aerohead rims was much better --
dryer roads, sunnier skies and longer rides. Just generally better
quality rides. The Open Pros are on my cross bike, and ride quality is
often poor -- rain, wind, etc. -- Jay Beattie.

[email protected] wrote:
> But Andrew, you didn't answer the question about ride quality
> differences between the Open Pro and Aerohead.

I wouldn't know. We skipped the last two iterations of that Mavic here.
--

RS wrote:
> I like the idea of the Velocity OCR rear for a stronger, longer lasting rear
> wheel and have used one set of Aerohead wheels and am happy with
> them. The Mavic OP is one of the industry standard rims, would there
> be much ride quality difference between the two, all else being equal?
>
> 28/2x front 14/15 spokes 32/3x rear 14/15 spokes DA7700 hubs
> spokes either Sapim Race or DT Competition.
>
> thanks to all Rick

if they're the same weight and roughly the same depth profile, the
chances are, they're just as elastic as each other and thus you will
notice no difference. the only other avenue for ride differentiation is
how the aluminum braking surfaces wear. everything else is either
aesthetic or long term like fatigue or cracking. the off-center thing
doesn't make a lot of practical difference except to how much lateral
then, you're unlikely to notice much of that effect while riding.

Jay Beattie wrote:
> On Mar 10, 4:20 pm, "[email protected]"
> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> If you're an average weight rider riding with average levels of rim
>>> abuse, I'd suggest an Aerohead OC rear, Aerohead front. Big guys (200+)
>>> will want to look at heavier rims. And wider tires.
>>> --
>>> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
>>> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

>> But Andrew, you didn't answer the question about ride quality
>> differences between the Open Pro and Aerohead.

> I found that ride quality on the Aerohead rims was much better --
> dryer roads, sunnier skies and longer rides. Just generally better
> quality rides. The Open Pros are on my cross bike, and ride quality is
> often poor -- rain, wind, etc. -- Jay Beattie.

POTM!

[email protected] says...

>I like the idea of the Velocity OCR rear for a stronger, longer lasting rear
>wheel and have used one set of Aerohead wheels and am happy with
>them. The Mavic OP is one of the industry standard rims, would there
>be much ride quality difference between the two, all else being equal?
>
>28/2x front 14/15 spokes 32/3x rear 14/15 spokes DA7700 hubs
>spokes either Sapim Race or DT Competition.
>
>thanks to all Rick

I meant Mavic, of course, but didn't get flamed for that one. I'll stay with the
Aeroheads, if only that a picked a new set up cheap and have gotten a lot of life
out of the last ones. I think the comments about weight may be important and
I could just be at the edge: 190lb winter, 180lb summer though my current 24
spoke 2x Aerohead front w/ Sapim Race are still fine and true. Broke one
spoke, did a quick fix job so I could get home and replaced the spoke and the
wheel trued up fine, at least good enough to my untrained eye.

thanks to all

"RS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> >

> >I like the idea of the Velocity OCR rear for a stronger, longer lasting

rear
> >wheel and have used one set of Aerohead wheels and am happy with
> >them. The Mavic OP is one of the industry standard rims, would there
> >be much ride quality difference between the two, all else being equal?
> >
> >28/2x front 14/15 spokes 32/3x rear 14/15 spokes DA7700 hubs
> >spokes either Sapim Race or DT Competition.
> >
> >thanks to all Rick
> >

> I meant Mavic, of course, but didn't get flamed for that one. I'll stay

with the
> Aeroheads, if only that a picked a new set up cheap and have gotten a lot

of life
> out of the last ones. I think the comments about weight may be important

and
> I could just be at the edge: 190lb winter, 180lb summer though my current

24
> spoke 2x Aerohead front w/ Sapim Race are still fine and true. Broke one
> spoke, did a quick fix job so I could get home and replaced the spoke and

the
> wheel trued up fine, at least good enough to my untrained eye.
>
> thanks to all

I have built many wheelsets with both the Aeroheads and Mavic OP. The rim in
Velocity's lineup that is most like the Mavic OP is their Razor. I
personally like the Razor much better than the OP. The Sapim spokes are an
excellent choice as well. I have been torn between the Sapim and DT for
which one I like more. Many riders who are well over 230 are using Razors
and Aeroheads with no problems.

Bruce

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "RS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] says...
> > >

> > >I like the idea of the Velocity OCR rear for a stronger, longer lasting

> rear
> > >wheel and have used one set of Aerohead wheels and am happy with
> > >them. The Mavic OP is one of the industry standard rims, would there
> > >be much ride quality difference between the two, all else being equal?
> > >
> > >28/2x front 14/15 spokes 32/3x rear 14/15 spokes DA7700 hubs
> > >spokes either Sapim Race or DT Competition.
> > >
> > >thanks to all Rick
> > >

> > I meant Mavic, of course, but didn't get flamed for that one. I'll stay

> with the
> > Aeroheads, if only that a picked a new set up cheap and have gotten a lot

> of life
> > out of the last ones. I think the comments about weight may be important

> and
> > I could just be at the edge: 190lb winter, 180lb summer though my current

> 24
> > spoke 2x Aerohead front w/ Sapim Race are still fine and true. Broke one
> > spoke, did a quick fix job so I could get home and replaced the spoke and

> the
> > wheel trued up fine, at least good enough to my untrained eye.
> >
> > thanks to all
> >

> I have built many wheelsets with both the Aeroheads and Mavic OP. The rim in
> Velocity's lineup that is most like the Mavic OP is their Razor. I
> personally like the Razor much better than the OP. The Sapim spokes are an
> excellent choice as well. I have been torn between the Sapim and DT for
> which one I like more. Many riders who are well over 230 are using Razors
> and Aeroheads with no problems.

They have grommets. Do they have sockets?

--
Michael Press