Max cluster on a 105 long cage der?

Dolan Halbrook

Guest
Hi all,

My wife's bike has a standard road triple (53/40/30) in front and a 12-27 (IIRC) in the rear.
However, we're looking to do some loaded touring and so I was planning to put an XT 11-32 cassette
on it. The current der. is a 105 long cage -- will that handle an 11-32 or am I going to have to
swap it for an long cage MTB der (like an XT) to run that cluster?

Thanks, Dolan

"Dolan Halbrook" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1049987391.147793@sj-nntpcache-5:
> My wife's bike has a standard road triple (53/40/30) in front and a 12-27 (IIRC) in the rear.
> However, we're looking to do some loaded touring and so I was planning to put an XT 11-32 cassette
> on it. The current der. is a 105 long cage -- will that handle an 11-32

A 11 tooth cog may not fit on a road hub. See Sheldon Brown's web site for details.

I know some people using 12-32 cassettes with 105 triple rear derailleurs. Others had to switch to
mountain bike derailleurs to get it to work. Depends on your frame. If you want to be safe, a 12-30
is more likely to work.

Dolan Halbrook wrote:

> My wife's bike has a standard road triple (53/40/30) in front and a 12-27 (IIRC) in the rear.
> However, we're looking to do some loaded touring and so I was planning to put an XT 11-32 cassette
> on it. The current der. is a 105 long cage -- will that handle an 11-32 or am I going to have to
> swap it for an long cage MTB der (like an XT) to run that cluster?

32 is marginal for that derailer, though 30 is no problem. I wouldn't recommend the 11-32, beause
the 11 is quite useless when you've got a ring as big as 53 in front. Even a 12 is of very little
value there.

My advice is to convert your 12-27 to one of my Century Special 13-30 setups (see:
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#9) and put a more useful granny gear on in front, a 28 or 26
instead of the silly 30 tooth chainring.

Your present derailers will handle this with ease, the upgrade will be cheap, and you'll have more
pleasant gear spacing in the cruising range.

Sheldon "Upgrades" Brown +--------------------------------------------------------+
| I met a traveler from an antique land | Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone | Stand in
| the desert. Near them, on the sand, | Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown, | And
| wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command, | Tell that its sculptor well those passions read, |
| Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things, | The hand that mocked them, and the heart
| that fed, | And on the pedestal these words appear: | "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: |
| Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!” | Nothing beside remains. Round the decay | Of that
| colossal wreck, boundless and bare | The lone and level sands stretch far away. | -Percy Bysshe
| Shelley |
+--------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

"Dolan Halbrook" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1049987391.147793@sj-nntpcache-5...
> Hi all,
>
> My wife's bike has a standard road triple (53/40/30) in
front and a 12-27
> (IIRC) in the rear. However, we're looking to do some
loaded touring and so
> I was planning to put an XT 11-32 cassette on it. The
current der. is a 105
> long cage -- will that handle an 11-32 or am I going to
have to swap it for
> an long cage MTB der (like an XT) to run that cluster?
>
> Thanks, Dolan

Rather than fiddle around with the cassette, you might want to try a 110mm BCD 46-36-26 crankset....
You can still find RSX compact cranksets for about $30 if you look around.........