Cycling Training · Public discussion

Max heart Rate and Zones

Started by kauseway · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,420 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
30 March 2004
Last activity
4 April 2004
Original author
kauseway
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,420
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. How closely do you feel the Polar 520 HRM relates to max heart rate. I do the fitness test on it and of course it uses some general forumulas and includes age, physical fitness etc but also uses resting heart rate to determine V02 Max and also estimates max heart rate. I am 31 and the 220-age formula has me at 189 for Max HR. The polar monitor has me at 189 for Max HR. I just did my first test on an open road and only could get up to 181.

    I was guessing my max HR would be higher since I consistently have been doing 50 to 70 mile rides and always average 155 to 160.

    I dont have a clear understanding of zones but that seems to put me in the 82 to 88% bracket (depending on if I use 181 or 189 for max HR) or Zone 4 (Lactate threshold training).

    Does these calculations make sense? Or is my max HR something higher than 189 so I am not actually in Lactate threshold range for 4 to 5 hours.

    Thanks in advance

  2. Very good question. I myself am 31 and have had a similar situation. You are correct that for our age 189 is the max. If your HRM also states 189 then you need to look at how long have you been training for and at what intesity level.

    I know that at first I had a very hard time reaching my max hr, I felt that once I reached 180 or so I couldn't give any more. But what I did is trained a little harder, now I can get my hr to about 190, but not for too long.

    Honestly you really don't want to get up to your max all the time maybe once and a while its o.k. remember once you get into the zone 5 all your doing is building that lactate acid and pretty much doing yourself in. When I train in zone 5 I do it on my interval days and for very short periods not lasting more than 5 minutes at a time with a full recovery in between sessions. Which means if I do a 1000 meter sprint I will get my hr to about 180 to 185 then rest and bring the hr to endurance zone, zone 2 or no higher than 137, then start again.

    So you have an idea these are my zone max.
    z1=127
    z2=137
    z3=156
    z4=166
    z5=177

    These are based on a mhr of 195. Why? I just didn't like the 189 so I upped it. I'm in good enough shape that I can do it and I also consulted my coach and an excersice physiologist.

    If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

  3. [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kauseway [/i

    Quoted post said:

    I was guessing my max HR would be higher since I consistently have been doing 50 to 70 mile rides and always average 155 to 160.



    If that's always your avg hrt that's most likely why you can't get higher or maybe that is your max. i my self when i over train my hrt drops on the bike and the effort feels high, when im strong my hrt goes up easier and the effort feels less. im 37 rest hrt 44 and my max is 183, LT 166-170. try taking it easy for a few days then go out and go hard see if that brings it up if not don't worry about it hrt is not a measure of power.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.