Max heart rate at high altitude

Sam H.

Guest
I would be interested in any insights regarding heart rate and general
cycling performance at higher altitudes. The highest altitude at which
I've ridden until last week was 9500 feet, and I didn't notice any
significant negative effects (aside from being tired after the climb :)

Last week I found myself at 13000 feet, and noticed all kinds of weird
problems. Aside from a headache, which I attributed to the altitude, I
found myself completely lacking energy (both physical and mental). The
max heart rate I could attain was around 120 bpm, and I could climb only
by weaving back and forth across the road (this was probably about 12%
grade, well within the bounds of a normal hill).

I've poked around on google, and found that high altitudes decrease
VO2max (approximately 1% for every 300 feet above 4500 feet, or about
30% at 13000 ft.) I haven't measured my VO2max, nor do I generally use a
HRM, though when I played around with one last year I found my max HR to
be around 200bpm.

Can anyone else who has ridden at higher altitudes provide anecdotal
evidence? Does this sound like a normal experience, or does it indicate
lack of training?

Thanks,
Sam

"Sam H." wrote:

> Last week I found myself at 13000 feet, and noticed all kinds of
> weird problems.

First and foremost, where was this road? Was it paved? Mt. Evans,
CO is the only US road I know of that goes as high. I like high
roads.

> Aside from a headache, which I attributed to the altitude, I
> found myself completely lacking energy (both physical and mental).

Those are the early symptoms of Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS). When
you start feeling like that, slow down or stop and rest, and be sure
to drink plenty. If the symptoms persist, descend until you feel
better.

> The max heart rate I could attain was around 120 bpm, and I could
> climb only by weaving back and forth across the road (this was
> probably about 12% grade, well within the bounds of a normal
> hill).

The highest I've ridden is about 12,500' (Independence Pass, CO and
White Mountain, CA). It required great mental effort to get my
heart rate above 80%, and my climbing rate was reduced by 20% or
so. I was able to sustain a heart rate of only 75%.

> Does this sound like a normal experience, or does it indicate
> lack of training?

Your symptoms suggest you weren't acclimatized to the altitude.
Everyone slows down at elevation, though.

Terry Morse wrote:
> "Sam H." wrote:
>

>>Last week I found myself at 13000 feet, and noticed all kinds of
>>weird problems.

> First and foremost, where was this road? Was it paved? Mt. Evans,
> CO is the only US road I know of that goes as high. I like high
> roads.

Mauna Kea in Hawaii; the road starts at around 6000 feet, climbs to 9000
feet over 6 paved miles, then to 12000 feet over 5 unpaved miles. The
last 1800 feet (up to the various telescopes) is paved, though.

>>Aside from a headache, which I attributed to the altitude, I
>>found myself completely lacking energy (both physical and mental).

> Those are the early symptoms of Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS). When
> you start feeling like that, slow down or stop and rest, and be sure
> to drink plenty. If the symptoms persist, descend until you feel
> better.

Slowing down wasn't even a choice; I found myself stopping literally
every 20 feet or so. At 13k feet, with about 800 to go to the top, I
felt I simply had to turn around.

>>The max heart rate I could attain was around 120 bpm, and I could
>>climb only by weaving back and forth across the road (this was
>>probably about 12% grade, well within the bounds of a normal
>>hill).

> The highest I've ridden is about 12,500' (Independence Pass, CO and
> White Mountain, CA). It required great mental effort to get my
> heart rate above 80%, and my climbing rate was reduced by 20% or
> so. I was able to sustain a heart rate of only 75%.

That's still significantly higher than what I got, but it's good to know
HR should decrease at least a little. 12K - 13K took me an hour,
compared to my usual 2500 vfph.

>>Does this sound like a normal experience, or does it indicate
>>lack of training?

> Your symptoms suggest you weren't acclimatized to the altitude.
> Everyone slows down at elevation, though.

Thanks; your experience sounds similar to mine (though it sounds like
you handled it better). That's the kind of information I was looking for.

Thanks,
Sam

"Sam H." wrote:

> Mauna Kea in Hawaii; the road starts at around 6000 feet, climbs to 9000
> feet over 6 paved miles, then to 12000 feet over 5 unpaved miles. The
> last 1800 feet (up to the various telescopes) is paved, though.

How is the unpaved section? Is it manageable on a road bike?

> Slowing down wasn't even a choice; I found myself stopping literally
> every 20 feet or so. At 13k feet, with about 800 to go to the top, I
> felt I simply had to turn around.

A wise decision. AMS can get serious if you continue to push forward.

> Thanks; your experience sounds similar to mine (though it sounds like
> you handled it better). That's the kind of information I was looking for.

I would want to spend at least two days at altitude before
attempting a climb over 10k feet. Getting AMS sucks.

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:13:19 -0800, "Sam H." <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I would be interested in any insights regarding heart rate and general
>cycling performance at higher altitudes. The highest altitude at which
>I've ridden until last week was 9500 feet, and I didn't notice any
>significant negative effects (aside from being tired after the climb :)
>
>Last week I found myself at 13000 feet, and noticed all kinds of weird
>problems. Aside from a headache, which I attributed to the altitude, I
>found myself completely lacking energy (both physical and mental). The
>max heart rate I could attain was around 120 bpm, and I could climb only
>by weaving back and forth across the road (this was probably about 12%
>grade, well within the bounds of a normal hill).
>
>I've poked around on google, and found that high altitudes decrease
>VO2max (approximately 1% for every 300 feet above 4500 feet, or about
>30% at 13000 ft.) I haven't measured my VO2max, nor do I generally use a
>HRM, though when I played around with one last year I found my max HR to
>be around 200bpm.
>
>Can anyone else who has ridden at higher altitudes provide anecdotal
>evidence? Does this sound like a normal experience, or does it indicate
>lack of training?

I live in Aurora, Illinois, elevation about 700 ft. For the past three
summers I've cycled in Summit County, Colorado at elevations exceeding
10,000 ft. My observed max heart rate while climbing here in Illinois
is in the upper 170s, but at high elevations I have a hard time
getting it into the 150s. YMMV.

People vary in their responses to elevation. In Illinois I can out
climb my girlfriend by such a margin it's kind of embarrassing. In the
Rockies I have a hard time staying with her on extended climbs. :-(

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 08:38:38 -0800, Terry Morse <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Sam H." wrote:
>
>> Mauna Kea in Hawaii; the road starts at around 6000 feet, climbs to 9000
>> feet over 6 paved miles, then to 12000 feet over 5 unpaved miles. The
>> last 1800 feet (up to the various telescopes) is paved, though.

> How is the unpaved section? Is it manageable on a road bike?
>
>> Slowing down wasn't even a choice; I found myself stopping literally
>> every 20 feet or so. At 13k feet, with about 800 to go to the top, I
>> felt I simply had to turn around.

> A wise decision. AMS can get serious if you continue to push forward.

I have to agree with Terry on this. 15,000 feet is about the maximum
altitude even for sitting and doing nothing harder than thinking, which
in itself becomes difficult at that level. If you do put yourself into
hypoxia you may not get out again, as in possible permanent pass out.
There is always next year for that last 800 feet.
Be safe.
Bill B.

--
bbaka

Terry Morse wrote:
> "Sam H." wrote:
>

>>Mauna Kea in Hawaii; the road starts at around 6000 feet, climbs to 9000
>>feet over 6 paved miles, then to 12000 feet over 5 unpaved miles. The
>>last 1800 feet (up to the various telescopes) is paved, though.

> How is the unpaved section? Is it manageable on a road bike?

I was riding it on a rented road bike with 25c tires, which was less
than optimal; of the ~5 miles dirt, I probably walked 20%, because of
lack of traction on very steep uphills. Downhill wasn't much easier,
because there was perhaps 1cm of fine loose dirt on much of the road,
which along with washboard made the ride extremely squirrely.

There are some decent pictures here:
http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-observatories-roads.htm

The terrain in the lower right of this picture was similar to the road
surface:
http://www.samhuffman.com/albums/hawaii_dec_2004/cached/IMG_3291.html

But nothing that shows the grade or the loose stuff on top. Definitely a
worthwhile ride, or drive at least, just for the views. And as you
noted, it's always good to increase one's max altitude :)

Sam

John Everett wrote:

> People vary in their responses to elevation. In Illinois I can out
> climb my girlfriend by such a margin it's kind of embarrassing. In the
> Rockies I have a hard time staying with her on extended climbs. :-(

I wonder if we bigger guys suffer more at elevation than little folks?
My wife isn't a cyclist or hiker, but we got about equally winded when
walking around on Mauna Kea. I'm 76", 215 pounds, and can keep up with
most when climbing at lower elevations, but felt like a 6 year old on a
tricycle would pass me on this ride.

Sam

Sam H. wrote:

> I wonder if we bigger guys suffer more at elevation than little folks?
> My wife isn't a cyclist or hiker, but we got about equally winded when
> walking around on Mauna Kea. I'm 76", 215 pounds, and can keep up with
> most when climbing at lower elevations, but felt like a 6 year old on
> a tricycle would pass me on this ride.

Don't know about the ascent, but Bill Baka would hit 50 MPH on the way down.

(Sorry, Bill, couldn't resist :) )

"Sam H." wrote:

> I was riding it on a rented road bike with 25c tires, which was less
> than optimal; of the ~5 miles dirt, I probably walked 20%, because of
> lack of traction on very steep uphills. Downhill wasn't much easier,
> because there was perhaps 1cm of fine loose dirt on much of the road,
> which along with washboard made the ride extremely squirrely.

Sounds quite unpleasant. That reminds me of my attempt on White
Mountain this year, and that was on a hardtail mountain bike. The
washboard surface beat me up pretty badly. I think I'll limit my
Hawaii climbs to Haleakala.

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 02:59:57 GMT, Bill Sornson <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Sam H. wrote:
>
>> I wonder if we bigger guys suffer more at elevation than little folks?
>> My wife isn't a cyclist or hiker, but we got about equally winded when
>> walking around on Mauna Kea. I'm 76", 215 pounds, and can keep up with
>> most when climbing at lower elevations, but felt like a 6 year old on
>> a tricycle would pass me on this ride.

> Don't know about the ascent, but Bill Baka would hit 50 MPH on the way
> down.
>
> (Sorry, Bill, couldn't resist :) )

Hey, no problem, because I would try. Riding motorcycles
has made me somewhat reckless on a bike, something like too
much going fast and having fun. At 10,000 feet 50 MPH should be
a possibility with less air resistance. Just watch out for
the cliffs you can ride off of. I know the safety
minded will jump me but some of my experiences are really
memorable due to the "Oh, my God!" factor. Nobody really
thinks back on a routine training ride and thinks about the
memories, but some of the 'almost got killed' rides I do.
Some of the motorcycle/bicycle + mud events are memorable,
if only because of the absurd things I have tried.
Remember the guy that skied down Everest with a parachute behind
him to keep from going past 100 MPH? I think he was a famous
Japanese daredevil. Anyone care to fill in on high altitude descents?
I ride, I post, I still have to grow up.
My wife says I have no common sense, but then
again, I am not common (collective sigh of relief).
Living life differently.
Bill B

--
bbaka

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:36:25 -0800, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 02:59:57 GMT, Bill Sornson <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>> Sam H. wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if we bigger guys suffer more at elevation than little folks?
>>> My wife isn't a cyclist or hiker, but we got about equally winded when
>>> walking around on Mauna Kea. I'm 76", 215 pounds, and can keep up with
>>> most when climbing at lower elevations, but felt like a 6 year old on
>>> a tricycle would pass me on this ride.

>> Don't know about the ascent, but Bill Baka would hit 50 MPH on the way
>> down.
>>
>> (Sorry, Bill, couldn't resist :) )
>>

>Hey, no problem, because I would try. Riding motorcycles
>has made me somewhat reckless on a bike, something like too
>much going fast and having fun. At 10,000 feet 50 MPH should be
>a possibility with less air resistance. Just watch out for
>the cliffs you can ride off of. I know the safety
>minded will jump me but some of my experiences are really
>memorable due to the "Oh, my God!" factor. Nobody really
>thinks back on a routine training ride and thinks about the
>memories, but some of the 'almost got killed' rides I do.
>Some of the motorcycle/bicycle + mud events are memorable,
>if only because of the absurd things I have tried.
>Remember the guy that skied down Everest with a parachute behind
>him to keep from going past 100 MPH? I think he was a famous
>Japanese daredevil. Anyone care to fill in on high altitude descents?
>I ride, I post, I still have to grow up.
>My wife says I have no common sense, but then
>again, I am not common (collective sigh of relief).
>Living life differently.
>Bill B

Speaking of Japanese daredevils, does anyone else here know what
"Baka" means in Japanese?

Sam H. wrote:
> There are some decent pictures here:
> http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-observatories-roads.htm
>
> The terrain in the lower right of this picture was similar to the

road
> surface:
> http://www.samhuffman.com/albums/hawaii_dec_2004/cached/IMG_3291.html
>
> But nothing that shows the grade or the loose stuff on top.

Definitely a
> worthwhile ride, or drive at least, just for the views. And as you
> noted, it's always good to increase one's max altitude :)

Physical difficulties aside, it looks like a great ride! One of the
road signs in your first link does show a gradient of 17% -- a worthy
challenge at any elevation. Seems like a nice trip would be to camp
out at ~10,000' for a night or two (unless there's lodging at that
altitude) and then do the ride.

(We're snowbound again on the Colorado front range, so I'm daydreaming
about all kinds of rides...)

JR

Bill Baka wrote:
> memorable due to the "Oh, my God!" factor. Nobody really
> thinks back on a routine training ride and thinks about the
> memories, but some of the 'almost got killed' rides I do.

Just a difference in what you like, I guess. Some of my best memories
are of routine training rides on gorgeous days. I still remember a
fall ride I did about 3 years ago when I was taking an easy pace along
a country road. The leaves were in color and the weather was crisp and
clear. The only other traffic I saw on that road was another cyclist,
and he seemed as euphoric as I was.

Another great memory was the day I did a local climb about 20% faster
than ever before -- it was as if there was a gale-force wind at my
back. For 15 minutes I felt like Lance, Pantani or Virenque: it was
priceless.

I've done some reasonably fast descents - up to ~50MPH in some places -
but my favorite memories are of tranquil rides and challenging ascents.
JR

SlowRider wrote:
> Sam H. wrote:
>
>>There are some decent pictures here:
>>http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-observatories-roads.htm
>>
>>The terrain in the lower right of this picture was similar to the

> road
>
>>surface:
>>http://www.samhuffman.com/albums/hawaii_dec_2004/cached/IMG_3291.html
>>
>>But nothing that shows the grade or the loose stuff on top.

> Definitely a
>
>>worthwhile ride, or drive at least, just for the views. And as you
>>noted, it's always good to increase one's max altitude :)

> Physical difficulties aside, it looks like a great ride!

I definitely agree, but next time I'll rent a mountain bike...

Sam

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 17:15:51 GMT, John Everett
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:36:25 -0800, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 02:59:57 GMT, Bill Sornson
>> <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>>> Don't know about the ascent, but Bill Baka would hit 50 MPH on the way
>>> down.
>>>
>>> (Sorry, Bill, couldn't resist :) )
>>>

>> Hey, no problem, because I would try. Riding motorcycles
>> has made me somewhat reckless on a bike, something like too
>> much going fast and having fun. At 10,000 feet 50 MPH should be
>> a possibility with less air resistance. Just watch out for
>> the cliffs you can ride off of. I know the safety
>> minded will jump me but some of my experiences are really
>> memorable due to the "Oh, my God!" factor. Nobody really
>> thinks back on a routine training ride and thinks about the
>> memories, but some of the 'almost got killed' rides I do.
>> Some of the motorcycle/bicycle + mud events are memorable,
>> if only because of the absurd things I have tried.
>> Remember the guy that skied down Everest with a parachute behind
>> him to keep from going past 100 MPH? I think he was a famous
>> Japanese daredevil. Anyone care to fill in on high altitude descents?
>> I ride, I post, I still have to grow up.
>> My wife says I have no common sense, but then
>> again, I am not common (collective sigh of relief).
>> Living life differently.
>> Bill B

> Speaking of Japanese daredevils, does anyone else here know what
> "Baka" means in Japanese?
>

> jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

Yeah, but I'm polish and those darned Japanese can't translate very well.
Bill

--
bbaka

On 23 Dec 2004 10:56:50 -0800, SlowRider <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bill Baka wrote:
>> memorable due to the "Oh, my God!" factor. Nobody really
>> thinks back on a routine training ride and thinks about the
>> memories, but some of the 'almost got killed' rides I do.

> Just a difference in what you like, I guess. Some of my best memories
> are of routine training rides on gorgeous days. I still remember a
> fall ride I did about 3 years ago when I was taking an easy pace along
> a country road. The leaves were in color and the weather was crisp and
> clear. The only other traffic I saw on that road was another cyclist,
> and he seemed as euphoric as I was.
>
> Another great memory was the day I did a local climb about 20% faster
> than ever before -- it was as if there was a gale-force wind at my
> back. For 15 minutes I felt like Lance, Pantani or Virenque: it was
> priceless.
>
> I've done some reasonably fast descents - up to ~50MPH in some places -
> but my favorite memories are of tranquil rides and challenging ascents.
> JR

I am with you on the peaceful bliss, but really, 30 years from now, will
you really remember the ride? The adrenalin moments are very hard to
forget so you should remember the climb longer than the fall ride.
Once in a while I will fall into the passive, blissful rider mode, but
usually not. Personality flaw, I guess, too much type 'A' in me, but I
will stop to watch 2 deer or some squirrels playing.
You seem to have a new goal in beating your hill climb by a few
percent more than that 20%. There is always something.
Bill B

--
bbaka

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 20:37:58 -0800, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 17:15:51 GMT, John Everett
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:36:25 -0800, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 02:59:57 GMT, Bill Sornson
>>> <[email protected]>

>>> Hey, no problem, because I would try. Riding motorcycles
>>> has made me somewhat reckless on a bike, something like too
>>> much going fast and having fun. At 10,000 feet 50 MPH should be
>>> a possibility with less air resistance. Just watch out for
>>> the cliffs you can ride off of. I know the safety
>>> minded will jump me but some of my experiences are really
>>> memorable due to the "Oh, my God!" factor. Nobody really
>>> thinks back on a routine training ride and thinks about the
>>> memories, but some of the 'almost got killed' rides I do.
>>> Some of the motorcycle/bicycle + mud events are memorable,
>>> if only because of the absurd things I have tried.
>>> Remember the guy that skied down Everest with a parachute behind
>>> him to keep from going past 100 MPH? I think he was a famous
>>> Japanese daredevil. Anyone care to fill in on high altitude descents?
>>> I ride, I post, I still have to grow up.
>>> My wife says I have no common sense, but then
>>> again, I am not common (collective sigh of relief).
>>> Living life differently.
>>> Bill B

>> Speaking of Japanese daredevils, does anyone else here know what
>> "Baka" means in Japanese?
>>

>> jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

>Yeah, but I'm polish and those darned Japanese can't translate very well.
>Bill

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Bill also knows that "Baka" in
Japanese means "Fool".

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 16:25:13 GMT, John Everett
<[email protected]> wrote:

> <snip>
>>> Speaking of Japanese daredevils, does anyone else here know what
>>> "Baka" means in Japanese?
>>>

>>> jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

>> Yeah, but I'm polish and those darned Japanese can't translate very
>> well.
>> Bill

> I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Bill also knows that "Baka" in
> Japanese means "Fool".
>

> jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

I have known that since gradeschool since the kamikaze pilots/planes
were called Baka by the japanese themselves. They just never told the
pilots
before they went out and killed themselves.
Have fun for 2 weeks, then it's work again.
Bill B

--
bbaka