Max heart rate

I've been to the Cardiologist and the stress test went normal, but I have Mitral Valve Prolapse.
I am also using the Polar M91 and in automatic mode, shows Min HR 125 and Max HR 155...
During training, sometimes I stop to check my HR manually and It goes up to 216 (36 in 10sec)... Should I go slower then???

Is there any risk???

Thanks!

You should ask your cardiologist that, but such a huge jump sounds dodgy. If you look at some of the earlier posts and on other threads you will see that HR responses like that can sometimes be caused by a malfunction (e.g. powercables, telephones, etc).

But when I've reached 216 I've checked it manually... the max HR that my polar has showed is 204

Just a few comments on the above postings. I have had a Polar 710i for the past two years. I also sometimes get high (for me) abnormal readings in the 220-230 region. These are artifact of some kind and can be ignored. These often occur when I am in the country far from telephone/power lines etc so what causes them I have no idea. Riding close to another cyclist with a HRM can sometimes cause a problem (ie in a race).
Re HRmax. I consider myself a pretty self motivated cyclist but I cannot get near HRmax when riding alone. I need to be pushed to the limit by another equal or stronger rider. I have to have a particular enemy/mate and a particlar 5km climb for that purpose!
I agree with 2LAP that the formula 220-age is not much use for a fit rider. I am 74 (yes I'm an Old Timer!), which gives an estimate HR max of 146. Yet my max on occasion when pushed is about 165. Alone I rarely can get higher than 155.
Miazcarate. As 2LAP says, go talk to your cardiologist. It doesn't sound that you have a problem but you need to be sure. Don't talk HRMs or heart rates to him, he won't be interested. Just ask is there any risk in you pushing yourself to the limit. Tell him how much and how intense your training is. Maybe exaggerate a little if necessary! Most doctors think when you say that you are a cyclist that you are riding to the corner shop and back! If he says there is no risk then go for it. I have CHD (chronic heart disease) and had heart surgery three years ago. My cardiologist tells me that I should now do whatever I want, so I have put that way at the back of my mind and ride several of the main road and MTB events.

Thank you so much for all your comments... I really appreciate it... Actually, tomorrow they are going to connect a monitor on me to check the HR when it goes up to 200... They say that isn't normal.. and that I could passed out when my HR goes up to that... So let's see what the Dr says.

Thanks again for all your comments!

miazcarate said:
Thank you so much for all your comments... I really appreciate it... Actually, tomorrow they are going to connect a monitor on me to check the HR when it goes up to 200... They say that isn't normal.. and that I could passed out when my HR goes up to that... So let's see what the Dr says.

Thanks again for all your comments!
Well I am not a pro cyclist, I am a 46 year old fat guy who used to be an elite wrestler. Ihave been using a mountian bike that is too small to train. Last year I lowered my heart rate 18BPM, I was also mountianeering. I used a simple old polar and now own a 625X, and will aquire cycling sensors. Last year I climbed some 13K plus peaks and wore the monitor.
My quest now is training, loosing about #80 and to start running again. I am 46 5'10" and weigh 287, but last year I was down to about 270 (10 years ago I was measured at 4% BF at 208). Last year I took a stess test and all indications were fine. started last year at 90 Bpm just standing in the middle of the day and ended up at about 80. In my prime I was about 60BPM.

My big Question is what exactly is "Maximum heart rate" In starting again this year on the bike I have been riding 20 minutes at 160-175 each day (mostly at 170-175) my max says that 174, I believe that my MAX is quite a bit higher, If my ass could handel it I could ride for hours at that rate.

Should I ride for 1/2 hour and sprint up a big hill and watch my monitor and then record that as my max?

What is the exact name of a test I can get from sports med to get my target zones, I want to be where I am supposed to be to train.

When I loose the weight I will get fitted for a proper road bike and I may see some of you. Semper Fi