Max Heart Rate

jsolo15

May 16, 2004
Hello guys

Alittle background for you guys!

I have been riding for about 5 years Mountian Bikes. (not seriously)

The beginning of this year I start Road Biking. Needless to say, after watching two friend compete in TT events. I started training to race next season. I have been training with my friends since March.

My workouts look like this, riding 5 days a week. Two days of tempo workout on Flats for 60 minutes at 70 to 80%MHR and 2 days of doing my local hill of 1500ft climb which includes my endurance ride on sunday of 100km at 70% MHR (zone 2).

When I first started training my Max. Heart Rate when I did this 1500 ft climb would always hit about 191 to 196. (This was for the first month.)

Now here what got me, no matter what I do I can never go over 186-187 MHR. (Yesterday, I did 2 Time trail Test for 3miles at my total effort at the last 200 yards of both rides I jump of my Saddle and sprinted as hard as I could to the end and in both cases my MHR never went over 187.) Let me tell you after I finish the last TT, I was totally wasted. I did my recovery ride of 20 minutes with my legs burning and finish riding for the day.

Now my question for you veteran guys who know about this. Is it normal after you been riding or training to not reach the same Max. Heart Rate again? (I have been using the same HRM a Ciclo Sport HAC 4)

I've tried researching online on this. I haven't found any info. which leads to Max Heart Rate going down other then for age.

My age is 34.

Can't wait to hear from you guys!

I think what you're finding is that as your fitness level improves, your cardiovascular efficiency also improves, resulting in a lower heart rate for the same level of exertion.

I've also used a gnarly climb to establish my assumed max heart rate (which by the way is different for different sports).

A more accurate way would be to take a V02 (stress test) where they bring you to physical exhaustion in a controlled environment.

I picked up this book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/103-6304339-2090252?v=glance&s=books
which (in addition to the Lance/Carmichael trainign book) provides some good insight into HR training.

Enjoy your fitness!

Thank you yak.

I did pick up the Chris and Lance Performance book about 2 months ago.

I can tell you I have seem alot of improvements since I been using his training schedule.

Yak one thing I did was create my Zone of the fact my Max. HR was 196. Now I'm wondering if I should adjust my zone to the 187 MHR I've been getting.

My max HR was ~202 when I was 20, and it's still the same at age 37. I've been riding the whole time, so my fitness hasn't varied much.

The fitter you become the longer and harder it is to reach your maximum heart rate.

An unfit person reaches MHR very quickly and heart rate recovery is very slow. A fit person takes much, much longer and with more difficulty to reach MHR but recovery is very rapid.

It has been discussed by exercise physioligists on an ancient thread in this forum. They confirmed that MHR does actually reduce slightly with improved aerobic fitness.

MHR also varies in different physical exertions. Running MHR is higher than cycling and cycling MHR is higher than swimming.

i am a triathlete and i find that when cycling it is very hard to get my HR over 180, but when i am swimming or running it is a lot easier, even when racing my HR on the cycle leg doesnt get over 180. i have had my HR rate up to 210, in a VO2max test.

A few posts above said it just right. Your body is more efficient. Now 187bpm is still a good tick. I wouldn't always go by what your HR says. Just because it's low doesn't necessarily mean you are burning up the road. Do you have a computer on your bike? Keep track of your courses and your average speeds. Also check your local weather site to get your approximate wind/gust speed as that will effect you also. If your serious about it, get one of those SRAM crank watt measuring thingies. That will tell you exactly how much power you are putting out vs how hard your heart is working. Good luck..

Guys, thank you for all the great info.

I going to stay with my zone build aroud my MHR being 196.