max heartrate plus

johnboy28

Aug 17, 2007
new to forum, no doubt will be directed to existing posts re this topic but thought i'd start with a question.
At 42 have started riding regularly in the mornings, 25km per day up to 6 days per week. like to spin not push, most comfortable at 100 - 105 rpm
resting heart rate 52. max heart rate meant to be 178. if i push can easily hit 190 without dropping dead in the saddle.
but... was spinning at 176 rpm up hill a couple of weeks ago with heart monitor registering 229 bpm. this seems a bit excessive even for me!

have searched web for info as to what can happen if exceeding max rate but no luck. all info says don't! bit late now.
would like to know what the possible effects of this sort of heart rate could be before i do it again.

regards

Johnboy

I don't think 229bpm is possible or survivable if it is possible. I'm about your age and hit 182bpm in a race but felt OK until I looked at the HRM I tend to back off when I see a new max HR on the display. That's the highest HR I've managed to hit without freaking out or doubting the number later. I rarely go higher than 172bpm when training maybe on the last minute of the last interval of a 5x5 I'll hit 172-175bpm.

johnboy28 said:
new to forum, no doubt will be directed to existing posts re this topic but thought i'd start with a question.
At 42 have started riding regularly in the mornings, 25km per day up to 6 days per week. like to spin not push, most comfortable at 100 - 105 rpm
resting heart rate 52. max heart rate meant to be 178. if i push can easily hit 190 without dropping dead in the saddle.
but... was spinning at 176 rpm up hill a couple of weeks ago with heart monitor registering 229 bpm. this seems a bit excessive even for me!

have searched web for info as to what can happen if exceeding max rate but no luck. all info says don't! bit late now.
would like to know what the possible effects of this sort of heart rate could be before i do it again.

regards

Johnboy

johnboy28 said:

regards

Johnboy
Death, at your age. ( Mine too) No biggy, though. Got the insurance paid up? Can I be the beneficiary? :D

176 rpm??:eek: Are you sure? Is it even possible to do? I would check your HR monitor. You sound awful flipit about it. My Garmin once had an errant reading like that, but I didn't feel anything, so I realized it was a fluke. I'm wondering if yours was too.

johnboy28 said:
regards
Johnboy
John, it might comfort you to know that it is logically impossible to exceed your maximum heart rate.

ok, ok..
in re-reading the post i guess i could sound a bit too relaxed about this.
actualy i'm not. just doing the typical masculine thing to avoid taking my health seriously even when i could be on deaths door.
plus i agree max heart rate is not exceedable by definition but i'm really talking about 220 - 42 = 178 bpm as per the calculation on nearly every fitness web site.

176rpm cadence is verifable. i have the computer off my road bike with cadence fitted to the mtb, just pick an easy gear and start spinning, keep downshifting to up the rpm.
i've done it before just to see how fast the legs can go for short bursts but usually the heart doesn't top 190bpm. this time heart rate just kept on going to 229 as per monitor.
this time it took ages to slow down to normal again. i've been feeling **** and have had occasional small chest pains since. haven't pushed hard since then but have ridden.
i found some reference to tachycardia or something which seemed to imply there was a condition that could cause the heart rate to increase way over normal, but not enough info.
So the serious question is, have i pushed too hard, strained the heart muscle but wil recover with rest or have i broken something and need to get checked out, a situation i would rather avoid if possible.
regards
jb28

johnboy28 said:
ok, ok..
in re-reading the post i guess i could sound a bit too relaxed about this.
actualy i'm not. just doing the typical masculine thing to avoid taking my health seriously even when i could be on deaths door.
plus i agree max heart rate is not exceedable by definition but i'm really talking about 220 - 42 = 178 bpm as per the calculation on nearly every fitness web site.

176rpm cadence is verifable. i have the computer off my road bike with cadence fitted to the mtb, just pick an easy gear and start spinning, keep downshifting to up the rpm.
i've done it before just to see how fast the legs can go for short bursts but usually the heart doesn't top 190bpm. this time heart rate just kept on going to 229 as per monitor.
this time it took ages to slow down to normal again. i've been feeling **** and have had occasional small chest pains since. haven't pushed hard since then but have ridden.
i found some reference to tachycardia or something which seemed to imply there was a condition that could cause the heart rate to increase way over normal, but not enough info.
So the serious question is, have i pushed too hard, strained the heart muscle but wil recover with rest or have i broken something and need to get checked out, a situation i would rather avoid if possible.
regards
jb28
This week, out of burning curiosity, I'm going to do a regular cardio stress test to find out where my max and min. actually are. I'm also going to talk with my Dr. about what my limitation should be. You might consider it. Chest pain may or may not signal squat, but if there is anyone significant in your life, I'd get the testing done. It will probably answer a lot of questions for both of us.:)