max hop between front chain rings?

Walter Mitty

Guest
To get a lower gearing on my tourer using campag racing-t, I
recently replaced the inner 24 chain ring with a 22, changed
the outer chain ring for something smaller in order to be
able to lower the front derailleur to enable the cage to
accomadate the smaller inside ring.

On two occasions now the chain has "locked" up - it kind of
caterpillared on the new chain ring after changing.

Is there a maximum gap between front rings?

Bbense+Rec Bicy

Guest

Walter Mitty

Guest
<[email protected]>
brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
news:[email protected] he conjectured that:

> In article <[email protected]>, Walter
> Mitty <[email protected]> wrote:
>>To get a lower gearing on my tourer using campag racing-t,
>>I recently replaced the inner 24 chain ring with a 22,
>>changed the outer chain ring for something smaller in
>>order to be able to lower the front derailleur to enable
>>the cage to accomadate the smaller inside ring.
>>
>>On two occasions now the chain has "locked" up - it kind
>>of caterpillared on the new chain ring after changing.
>>
>>Is there a maximum gap between front rings?
>
> _ This sounds like what MTB'ers refer to as "chain suck".
>
> http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/chain_suck.html
>
> If so you probably need to get a new chain. It's generally
> a good idea to get a new chain when you get new
> chainrings, especially for such a small chainring. BTW,
> it's a really good idea to get steel chainrings for ones
> that small if at all possible.
>
> _ Booker C. Bense

Cool : thanks for the link.