max hop between front chain rings?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Walter Mitty, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Walter Mitty

    Walter Mitty Guest

    To get a lower gearing on my tourer using campag racing-t, I
    recently replaced the inner 24 chain ring with a 22, changed
    the outer chain ring for something smaller in order to be
    able to lower the front derailleur to enable the cage to
    accomadate the smaller inside ring.

    On two occasions now the chain has "locked" up - it kind of
    caterpillared on the new chain ring after changing.

    Is there a maximum gap between front rings?

    Tags:

  3. Walter Mitty

    Walter Mitty Guest

    <[email protected]>
    brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
    news:[email protected] he conjectured that:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Walter
    > Mitty <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>To get a lower gearing on my tourer using campag racing-t,
    >>I recently replaced the inner 24 chain ring with a 22,
    >>changed the outer chain ring for something smaller in
    >>order to be able to lower the front derailleur to enable
    >>the cage to accomadate the smaller inside ring.
    >>
    >>On two occasions now the chain has "locked" up - it kind
    >>of caterpillared on the new chain ring after changing.
    >>
    >>Is there a maximum gap between front rings?
    >
    > _ This sounds like what MTB'ers refer to as "chain suck".
    >
    > http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/chain_suck.html
    >
    > If so you probably need to get a new chain. It's generally
    > a good idea to get a new chain when you get new
    > chainrings, especially for such a small chainring. BTW,
    > it's a really good idea to get steel chainrings for ones
    > that small if at all possible.
    >
    > _ Booker C. Bense

    Cool : thanks for the link.