Max hr or Max sustainable HR ?

Farmguy

Feb 27, 2007
OK, first, I know to be accurate I need a PM but I do not race I just like to use my HR for rec training so I see no need in invest in a PM. I have done just enough research to make me a informed idiot. For interval training do I need to stay at or above my max hr or just my max sustainable HR? I am currently doing sprints of 2 minutes, recover for 8, repeat 6 times, I plan on going on to 3X7 etc etc. I also do hill repeats, 4 min up, 2 min coasting down, all over my max sustainable HR.

I am just looking to build on my long distance riding speed, as well as power in the hills.

Farmguy said:
OK, first, I know to be accurate I need a PM but I do not race I just like to use my HR for rec training so I see no need in invest in a PM. I have done just enough research to make me a informed idiot. For interval training do I need to stay at or above my max hr or just my max sustainable HR? I am currently doing sprints of 2 minutes, recover for 8, repeat 6 times, I plan on going on to 3X7 etc etc. I also do hill repeats, 4 min up, 2 min coasting down, all over my max sustainable HR.

I am just looking to build on my long distance riding speed, as well as power in the hills.
HR is pretty much a useless guide for efforts that short, as the HR response has quite a lag time. You just need to go on feel or perhaps speed on a trainer.

Also, if sustainable long distance riding speed is yor goal, then I'd suggest considering much longer intervals efforts and tempo riding as being more productive in the long run than such short hard efforts.

I do realize the lag time, I adjust for it, same gear/cadence/speed with each effort. So I guess 20-30 minutes at my MSHR with short recovery then repeat?

And thanks......:eek:

I've been experimenting with SST by heart rate and I try to get an average in the lower half of this range for about an hour of riding on the FMRs. The high limit should be equal to your one hour TT average HR. I think it helps to have one monitor showing current HR and another one showing average as the ride is in progress.

Take 182(for Low Limit)/206(for High Limit)
Subtract your age
Now adjust these numbers based on your fitness.
If you do no working out subtract 10 beats
If you workout 1-2 times a week subtract 5 beats
If you workout 3-4 times a week leave the numbers as they are.
If you workout 5 or more times a week and have done so for a year or more, then add 5 beats to the numbers.
If you are about 60 years old or older or if you are about 20 years old or younger, add an additional 5 beats to the adjusted numbers.

Farmguy said:
I do realize the lag time, I adjust for it, same gear/cadence/speed with each effort. So I guess 20-30 minutes at my MSHR with short recovery then repeat?

And thanks......:eek:

Just do your shorter (less than 5 minutes) intervals as hard as you can right to the end. If you fail at the end you'll know you started too hard. You'll understand after a few tries with each session.

Longer intervals you may use HR, but HR is reactive so you'll always be low at the start and a bit higher at the end. Learn how to pace yourself, maximally.

You might observe useful HR near the end of long intervals, or between rest intervals where you may restrict recovery(HR does not drop below XX), or not start your next interval until recovered (HR reaches XX)