Max Seated Power

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by batman220, Dec 21, 2007.

1. batman220

batman220 New Member

Might be a dumb question but how is 1156 watts for a seated max output? I am doing my initial tests with my powertap and have been training for about 3 weeks seriously. I am assuming people are doing their max tests while standing and sprinting but I can't do that on my cycleops for fear of tipping over. I was able to get 1156 seated and wanted to see if that is pretty good. My 20 min test was 207 avg and I weight 192lbs...I obviously have a way to go to be able to sit in on a crit.
    30 yr old beach volleyball player that started to have knee issues and decided to take cycling back up seriously as I used to love watching the Longmont Crit in Colorado was is my home town.

Thanks guys.

Tags:

2. RChung

RChung New Member

Max power may look good on a piece of paper but it doesn't mean much; even more so because it depends on exactly how each power meter measures. For example, the PT averages over each 1.26-second interval so you can occasionally get artifactually high max.

Focus on your FTP.

3. Bikeridindude

Bikeridindude New Member

I'm guessing that all you're looking for is a good ego stroking. I'll do it for you, it ain't bad. Like you said though, you have a ways to go. For a 192lb rider, it isn't anything impressive, but a good place to start.

4. Bikeridindude

Bikeridindude New Member

So what margin of error could you expect from a 5-second average?

5. fstrdr7

fstrdr7 New Member

I'm kinda new to this power business, (just got my PT a week ago) but that wattage seems high for being seated and on a trainer. The avg for the 20 minutes was rather low though.

6. RChung

RChung New Member

With a PT? Purely from the standpoint of fixed interval sampling, repeated 5-second maxes would probably fall within a 5% band, possibly less.

7. batman220

batman220 New Member

Thanks for the comments. Don't need any ego stroking, although after a 207avg 20min number something to make me feel better about my performance couldn't hurt. Should be interesting to see what happens since I just started riding again and that was my first 20 min test I have ever done. I am interested to see how fast my performance improves as I am a pretty good athlete, 30+ vertical and used to hang clean 250lbs w/ a body weight of 184. I am thinking maybe a decent crit rider after a lot of training.

8. jbvcoaching

jbvcoaching New Member

Do you live near a track?

9. batman220

batman220 New Member

Yeah, live in Denver so Colorado Springs is about 45 minutes away.

10. jbvcoaching

jbvcoaching New Member

Based on the numbers and the athletic background you've posted here, I'd look into getting a cheap track bike, and checking out the racing schedule down in the Springs.

I'm not saying don't train for and race on the road too, I'm just saying that on the surface you would appear to be more gifted in the explosive, short-term power side of the sport.

Try it all and see what you like!

You're fortunate, CO Springs is one of the better, more active tracks in the US. I'm 4.5 hours from the nearest track!

11. waterrockets

waterrockets New Member

Yeah, you need to try it out on the road, standing. My best 5s power (1491W) didn't contain my best max power (1622W). I have seen very consistent results in testing though, especially with 5s power, using a PowerTap. I've never tried a seated max.

I hear you on the Long's Peak Crit in Longmont -- I've done that one a few times (live in Austin now though). That was a very fun race though. Man, makes me drool thinking about it.

Anyway, I'm new to power training (3wks), and this is my first post here (I usually hang out at bikeforums). In testing, I've found that my relative performance falls off after the 5s number (303W FTP) -- I'm a sprinter (80.9kg), and I've started doing more longer intervals to manage that condition.

I wish I'd have gone down to the OTC velodrome back in the day though. I'm thinking about heading to Houston or Dallas velodromes now (fairly strong 1m power at 691W -- and I'll be a Cat 5 on the track I guess).

Needless to say, on the road I do well in bunch sprints, have a tough time sticking it out in a break, but no trouble catching a young break. Long climbs: forget it. Ugh.

So, "hi everyone," I'll mostly be lurking and learning here.

12. Billsworld

Billsworld New Member

Thats what I was thinking. If you background included hanging cleans , you might be more fast twitch oriented. That FT training will make you fit, but your peak power for sprinting wil not improve much unless you train it. Look more towards 30 sec power for a good measure of your sprint capacity. 5 secs is good too. FWIW my peak seated is 1565 @180 lbs .....about 1000 for 30 secs. My 20 min power is 250 on my best day.(usually 220-230)

13. Roadie_scum

Roadie_scum New Member

30+ vertical jump?

What units?

14. batman220

batman220 New Member

Inches. I am 6'1" and could jump straight up with no approach and hang on a basketball rim. With the issues I have been having with my knee I have not been doing any training that puts too much pressure on my femur. I ended up stress fracturing the head of my femur as a result of olympic lifting, plyometrics, beach volleyball. The result was overtraining as I get fanatical about performing at my best. Less impact with cycling should let it continue to heal, plus I have always wanted to try racing. Need some work though. Oh, BTW I am able to spin up to 180rpm as a max cadence so far when doing my spin up training.

15. Roadie_scum

Roadie_scum New Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_(cycling)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keirin

Get thee to a velodrome! You may need to rehab your femur before you get into intensive sprint training, which may include weights and hard standing starts, but under guidance of a good coach and physical therapist/medical professional I'm sure that's manageable. It sounds like you could achieve a great deal on the track, or be a mediocre road rider. What should you do? Depends what you love.

16. Billsworld

Billsworld New Member

I agree. Besides you get to race 4-5 times in a night and get to hang around with people that lift more than a bike pump:)

17. velomanct

velomanct New Member

It's a good start. You are the same height and weight as me. If you've only been on the bike for a few weeks, you have TONS of improvement to make. You will see those peak numbers shoot up if you put the effort in, doing sprints.

250 hang clean and 30" vertical? - you definitely have the edge towards sprinting, rather than endurance. I can't jump more than 17in at my best. A 20 min power of 207 watts will means you will get dropped very soon. But you will also be able to raise that a LOT as well. You could shoot for 300w by summer.

Also, sprint watts on a trainer are usually 8-10% lower than outside, depending on your style.

You'll be hitting 1800 standing outside by summer I bet.

Look for 5 and 10, 20, 30 second averages. Uphill will be higher watts too.

But yeh, peak watts don't mean a lot. I can do them, but I'm garbage by the time the race enters the final 200 meters (road), so I'm lucky to do 2/3 my power then. I love doing them jumps though - get a fast section of road with a tailwind to take you to upper 20s, then BURRY it. Swing out of a paceline and just tear it up for 5 seconds, all one gear.

I love the road bike. No other machine on earth that allows you to expel every ounce of power from your body. And move yourself pretty well at the same time!

Have fun, sprinting's a blast.

18. velomanct

velomanct New Member

So I've been off the bike for a while due to the winter, but got out there today, even though it was still cold. I've been hitting the gym a lot lately and can say that it's definitely going to help my sprint. I've put on 15lbs since the summer, and I just got this good, new feel when I sprint now. Maybe it's just because my CNS is rested compared to during the summer. I just did a couple back to back sprints and never felt like I did before. It's just and odd, unfamilar strong feeling, it's great. Definitely something to build on, and hopefully get a powertap again to see how the progress is really going.

LOL, my first acceleration was only a few seconds in town, brought me to 28, then soft pedaled until the road was clear again, slight downhill to a flat, slight tailwind. Then I launched again and quickly closed in on the car that had passed me, then passed them at 41mph, but I stopped short because it was kind of sketchy.

Sprinting is so much fun. I can't wait for warm weather. Won't have that "pulling a parchute through an icebox" feeling. LOL

19. Billsworld

Billsworld New Member

It is time for you to do some 200s. I have an extra 57 Pista Concept with zipps. I will bring it to TTown and you hammer for a day.

20. velomanct

velomanct New Member

Sounds fun, I know I need to get back on the track.