General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Max speed endurance

Started by paul · · Last activity · 42 posts · 3,072 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 February 2004
Last activity
28 February 2004
Original author
paul
Posts
42
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,072
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 42
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Donovan Rebbechi said:

    [unpleasentness snipped]

    Have you been having a bad day or something ?

    Isn't life strange? I spend part of yesterday morning writing to TC about why I'm here, then I spend
    part of yesterday evening realising that I'm just wasting my time, writing to someone for whom I
    care little about matters that he won't, or can't, understand.

    This brings into question weighty matters such as the futility of the human condition, but as you're
    having difficulty with the simple stuff I think we should leave that one for another time and place.

    What perturbs me most about souls such as yourself is the very timidity of their stance. You
    surround yourself with information, data, statistics, research findings, etc., as a shield against -
    what? Against the possibility that you may have to think for yourself, that you may have to
    innovate, that you may 'get it wrong'?

    Donny, the really important stuff in life can't always be measured and quantified. A protocol for
    life does not exist. It's just you and
    it.

    May I suggest something? Let go of the data. Stand by yourself. Trust your instincts.

  2. In article said:
    Donovan Rebbechi said:

    Ingrid Kristiansen was a former record holder for the 5k and yet was a lousy sprinter.

    You'd like me to list the 5k record holders who are good sprinters? And what would that prove?
    That we can both make lists?

    Quoted message said:

    Sure it's fast, but it's all about endurance. Tell me something -- who is a likely to be a
    better 5k runner, an elite marathoner or an elite 400m runner ? Could Michael Johnson beat
    Martin Lel in a 5k ?

    You're being disingenuous. We both know it's *easier* to encompass 5k and marathon running than it
    is to encompass 400m and 5k running.

    You argued that the running 5k was "anaerobic". That was the point I took issue with. It is
    "anaerobic" in terms of technical definitions (above LT in intensity), but not in terms of training
    requirements.

    Quoted message said:

    That wasn't the point. The OP asked for the 'best' way to reach 5k at 16 kph, and noted that he
    was already running up to ten miles. I provided a minimum mileage, track based, answer.

    FWIW, I didn't think your schedule was all that bad, and it wasn't your schedule I was disputing.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Even then, you need to be able to not just sprint, but actually sustain a fast pace. I've found
    1200m repeats very effective -- the distance is short enough that one can do them at a good pace
    (faster than 5k pace), but long enough that you can't just sprint through them. I found that the
    end result of doing 400m repeats was that I could beat other runners in short interval sessions,
    only to have the same runners kick my butt in races.

    We're all different, but 400m repeats are a good place for a newbie to start

    There's nothing wrong with starting with 400m repeats, but ...

    Quoted message said:

    To suggest that someone only able to sustain a fast pace for 2000m should commence at any other
    level would be ridiculous.

    By this argument, someone who runs 5k at 8:00 pace should start by doing 100m sprints, since they
    can only sustain a "fast" pace for about 400m. So I think it's a silly argument.

    However, I agree that shorter intervals make a good starting point. Longer intervals take getting
    used to and beginners are likely to "bomb out" in long interval sessions unless they start with
    shorter sessions. For example, I prefer to do a few weeks of 800s before doing 1200s.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    IMO fartlek is better done in groups or as an "entry level" speed workout that one could use in
    weeks leading up to serious speed training (to me that means "track work" or hill work with a
    training group)

    Donny, Donny, Donny, you keep telling me what you believe, rather than what may be useful
    to the OP.

    I was commenting on your post, not giving advice to the OP.

    Quoted message said:

    Frankly, I consider much of your advice to be a little too theoretical and research based, rather
    than founded on personal experience or observation.

    In this case, I call "[censored]".

    Not only do I *understand* it, through *experience*, I get a refresher on it every week. I'm not
    drawing on distant memories of great workouts in the distant past.

    I've done my track workout in the last week. Have you ?

    I've done fartlek running before, in groups and alone. I've done a lot of track training, it's been
    my primary source of interval work, so I've probably done more track work than some of the more
    experienced runners here.

    You yourself said track work is "more precise". I'd argue that track work not only gives you
    precision, it gives you *structure*. When you go to the track with a watch, the track is simply a
    vast, barren, merciless landscape, and the watch is a brutal taskmaster. You can't fool the track
    or your watch. That's what makes it so demanding -- the transparency of it all. Track workouts are
    just brutal.

    You can possibly make fartlek as demanding physiologically, but it doesn't come close mentally. If
    you don't understand this, go outside and do some track work instead of trolling usenet.

    Quoted message said:

    Would you be insulted if I used the phrase 'book learning'?

    Why would I be insulted by such an obvious falsehood ?

    I'm out there doing the miles, doing my track work, doing my tempos, doing my races week after week,
    while you're drawing from distant memories from back in "the good old days" when you felt more like
    a winner and less like a has-been.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi pegasus.rutgers.edu~elflord

  3. In article said:

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:35:28 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You argued that the running 5k was "anaerobic". That was the point I took issue with.

    No. That was the point with which you took issue. A Yankee grad student that can't write. Now
    there's a surprise.

    Sure, your writing is indeed better than mine. I never argued otherwise.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    FWIW, I didn't think your schedule was all that bad, and it wasn't your schedule I was disputing.

    And this is meant to make me happy? Now I'm convinced my schedule is wrong.

    It's a *fantastic* schedule. Also, let me remind you not to let Tom Wheeler paint your house.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So I think it's a silly argument.

    And boy, do you know all about silly arguments...

    I'm learning from an expert even as I type ...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I was commenting on your post, not giving advice to the OP.

    Well don't bother, for I have neither the time nor the inclination to point out the many technical
    and logical faults in your inane and self-congratulatory musings.

    Fair enough -- I understand that your time is an extremely scarce and valuable resource.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Not only do I *understand* it, through *experience*, I get a refresher on it every week. I'm not
    drawing on distant memories of great workouts in the distant past.

    Therefore, when offering advice, experience carries no value, currency is all.

    They are both important.

    Quoted message said:

    Donny, you are verging on the offensive. May I suggest an apology would be appropriate here?

    I'm sorry ``verging on the offensive'', or challenging your experience. I try to do better
    than this.

    Let me try to say it more politely -- I have experience and currency. I am not an elite athlete, but
    my experience is very relevant to newbies who are pushing towards the 6:00 range.

    In the other post, you repeatedly criticise me as being some sort of armchair-runner, which is a
    mischaracterisation that borders on dishonest. Sure, I read books. I try to understand the theories.
    Theories and more importantly, research results, are interesting, and they give us a framework for
    explaining our observations, but I understand that you don't win races by having a better theory.

    Scientific curiosity drives my interest in theories and lab results, but I can assure you that such
    interest does not in any way inhibit my desire to run a great race, and do the required training.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've done my track workout in the last week. Have you ?

    Why, yes. I have a race this weekend.

    Great.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm out there doing the miles, doing my track work, doing my tempos, doing my races week after
    week, while you're drawing from distant memories from back in "the good old days" when you felt
    more like a winner and less like a has-been.

    Oh dear! Perhaps Wobbot was right,

    I see your humorous side is showing.

    Quoted message said:

    A 'has-been' I most certainly am, but may I point out two things? Firstly, at least for some
    portion of my running career I was 'there', which you most certainly will never be. And secondly,
    based on your posted run times, this 'has been' could still comfortably whip your ill-mannered ass
    over 5k, 10k and 10 miles.

    Neither your ability nor your unique experience places you in much of a position to trash mine.
    Ability is a gift, not a virtue. When a newbie who looks like he's going to be the next Roger
    Bannister posts here, I have little doubt that your unique insights will be more relevant than mine
    (assuming of course that you're being honest about your ability/achievements). Until that happens,
    and I'm sure we can agree that it may not happen terribly soon, perhaps we can both offer
    interesting and relevant perspectives.

    Quoted message said:

    Frankly, if I ever find myself in New York, I would consider it a pleasure to provide you with a
    lesson in both manners and running.

    I'd be happy take you up on the running lesson.

    A lesson in manners ? Yes, sure. I would love to reciprocate by ensuring that you enjoy an equally
    enlightening experience. I could arrange for Tom Wheeler to give you grammar lessons, how does
    that sound ?

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi pegasus.rutgers.edu~elflord

  4. In article said:
    Donovan Rebbechi said:

    Fair enough -- I understand that your time is an extremely scarce and valuable resource.

    I'm more than happy - when the mood takes me - to offer what I can to those prepared to listen
    with an open mind. I find it tiresome in the extreme to waste my time talking to someone who has
    nothing to learn, and who has an answer for everything.

    Donny, you will never rise above the herd if you insist on being right all of the time. One
    intelligent probing question is worth a thousand trivial answers. Concentrate on discovering what
    you don't know rather than expounding upon what you do.

    False dichotomy. I rarely solicit advice unless I intend to follow it, so I'm not going to ask for
    advice every day, but I do from time to time. I also read what other people have to say. I also ask
    people for advice outside of r.r. I may even bug you for advice some day -- but I'm not going to
    waste your time asking for advice that I don't intend to follow.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm wondering if this is true. I think sometimes you let your 'knowledge' define your athletic
    expectations. In short, you may have been a better and more adventurous runner had you 'known'
    less. Does that make sense?

    I hurt myself not that long ago by being too "adventurous". That is why over the last year, I've
    trained in a way that you may consider very conservative. This is mostly because I'm still worried
    about my achilles tendon, not because I necessarily believe my training is optimal (though it seems
    not that bad).

    I was more adventerous (and didn't "know" as much) when I was younger, and actually a little faster
    than I am now.

    [unpleasentness snipped]

    Have you been having a bad day or something ?

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi pegasus.rutgers.edu~elflord

  5. Donovan Rebbechi said:

    False dichotomy. I rarely solicit advice unless I intend to follow it, so I'm not going to ask for
    advice every day, but I do from time to time. I also read what other people have to say. I also
    ask people for advice outside of r.r. I may even bug you for advice some day -- but I'm not going
    to waste your time asking for advice that I don't intend to follow.

    Then take a less selfish approach and toss a topic out for general discussion and see what falls.
    You may find nothing of value in the dialog but there are lots of people out there that might
    appreciate the discussion. This group isn't always about us individuals but the collective we(or
    is that us).

    Quoted message said:

    I hurt myself not that long ago by being too "adventurous". That is why over the last year, I've
    trained in a way that you may consider very conservative.

    There is a tough side to being adventurous- you find your over training point and that can be
    positive in a funny way. OTOH it can scare the [censored] out of us so we fall back to what did work and
    never try again. I claim the answer is in the gray area where you need to evaluate how adventurous
    you were and try again but slower or different.

    Quoted message said:

    This is mostly because I'm still worried about my achilles tendon, not because I necessarily
    believe my training is optimal (though it seems not that bad).

    I'm sure you have been doing things to help but I found the following web page which has helped many
    people. I subscribe to the RRN so I have the written copy.

    Quoted message said:

    I was more adventerous (and didn't "know" as much) when I was younger, and actually a little
    faster than I am now.

    Take it from a really old guy - you need to constantly change your training as you age. It doesn't
    mean you have to run slower but train differently. Enjoy when you were younger and faster but now
    it's time to focus on running smarter and that may mean forgetting what used to work. It may be time
    to have a "come to Jesus" discussion with yourself. 😉

    Quoted message said:

    Have you been having a bad day or something ?

    He just loves to bust your balls.

    --
    Doug Freese "Caveat Lector" [email hidden]

  6. On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:30:21 GMT, Doug Freese <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Have you been having a bad day or something ?

    Quoted message said:

    He just loves to bust your balls.

    Douglas, you simply *adore* the comforting warmth that basking in rosy glow of cynicism brings,
    don't you?

    Look, you apologist for 'The Wisdom Of The Ancients', why don't you stop scampering around the woods
    of the North East like a demented Chipmunk and actually *SAY SOMETHING INTERESTING* rather than spew
    forth this homespun twaddle that you pass off as commentary on newsgroup posts.

    I'll make it easy for you, it can be about anything - absolutely anything - as long as it isn't in
    your normal posting style, 'cause so help me if I have to read ONE MORE POST of yours in that laid-
    back, seen-it-all-before-ain't-got-no-relevance-to-my-life-cool-it-angry-dudes- the-answers-in-meg-mileage-run-so-slow-you-could-be-sleeping-
    Rogers-a-[censored]-why-do-shoe-designers-change-styles-I-like-post- your-results-on-the-web-before-I-believe-a-word-you-
    say DRIVEL I will personally hunt you down like the aberration you are and thrash the living
    daylights out of you with a pair of track shoes with the 5mm spikes still fitted.

  7. In article said:
    Donovan Rebbechi said:

    [unpleasentness snipped]

    Have you been having a bad day or something ?

    Isn't life strange? I spend part of yesterday morning writing to TC about why I'm here, then I
    spend part of yesterday evening realising that I'm just wasting my time, writing to someone for
    whom I care little about matters that he won't, or can't, understand.

    This brings into question weighty matters such as the futility of the human condition,

    It also highlights the flaws of "trusting your instincts". It's a nice example of "instinct" being
    wrong, as it often is.

    Quoted message said:

    but as you're having difficulty with the simple stuff I think we should leave that one for another
    time and place.

    You're right, the "simple stuff" is already enough of a challenge.

    Quoted message said:

    What perturbs me most about souls such as yourself is the very timidity of their stance. You
    surround yourself with information, data, statistics, research findings, etc., as a shield
    against - what?

    You've misunderstood. It's not a "shield" at all.

    Quoted message said:

    Against the possibility that you may have to think for yourself, that you may have to innovate,
    that you may 'get it wrong'?

    "Intuition" is not "thinking for yourself". It is the opposite of thinking.

    Unless you want to do pure math (which I did in grad school), if you want to actually make
    inferences about the physical universe, you have better base your "thinking" on *data* extracted
    from the physical universe. Such data include "statistics" and "research findings", but as you gain
    experience, you become less dependent on such data. Even then, you can still use "statistics" and
    "research findings" from your own experiment of one.

    To ignore all known data from the physical universe is just idiocy. Even people who think they're
    relying on "intuition" invariably have some basis for that intuition in their personal experience.
    However, the lack of rigor in the "intuition method" often leads them to draw erroneous conclusions.

    Quoted message said:

    May I suggest something? Let go of the data. Stand by yourself. Trust your instincts.

    This is where we differ philosophically. In graduate school, one of the things I learned there is
    that your instincts are often wrong. This is why mathematicians write proofs of everything --
    because even the most insightful mathematicians and scientists are often wrong in their
    "intuitions". Even if you have, or believe you have "good instincts", they are still often wrong.
    Instincts are what cause people to ignore facts which are staring them in the face. "Theories" only
    have the same effect if you allow yourself to become emotionally attached to them, like a religion,
    but that is not an approach I advocate.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi pegasus.rutgers.edu~elflord

  8. In article said:

    On 26 Feb 2004 21:46:23 GMT, [email hidden] wrote: BTW, if you do turn out to be the next
    Coe, I expect 5% of whatever marketing deals you secure and a namecheck every time you're
    interviewed by the BBC.

    Paul, remember to make the checks out to "Cumulus".

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi pegasus.rutgers.edu~elflord

  9. In article said:

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:30:21 GMT, Doug Freese <[email hidden]> wrote:


    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    I'll make it easy for you, it can be about anything - absolutely anything - as long as it isn't in
    your normal posting style, 'cause so

    For better or worse, Doug is simply not like you. I don't consider this a bad thing, for as much as
    I enjoy your posts, I don't think there's room here for more than one of you.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi pegasus.rutgers.edu~elflord

  10. Cumulus said:

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:35:28 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've done my track workout in the last week. Have you ?

    Why, yes. I have a race this weekend.

    A race? Do tell, can we come and watch? ;-)

    If you fancy a nice warm up run, come to Ben Glas farm (north of Inverannan) at 9:00 am on Saturday
    and you can join me up to Tyndrum and back.

    Tim

    --
    Remove the obvious to reply by email. Please support rheumatoid arthritis research! Visit
    justgiving.comspeyside or justgiving.comspeyside if you're a UK
    tax payer.

  11. In article said:

    Then take a less selfish approach and toss a topic out for general discussion and see what falls.

    That's what I was trying to do in the clothing thread I started up a while ago. I suppose it's also
    what David "SwStudio" has done very successfully with his "training week" thread. I was reasonably
    happy with what transpired, a lot of people made what I thought were good contributions to the
    thread. I was able to learn something. You're right though, I should try to do this more often.

    [good stuff snipped for brevity]

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi pegasus.rutgers.edu~elflord

  12. Donovan Rebbechi said:

    It also highlights the flaws of "trusting your instincts". It's a nice example of "instinct" being
    wrong, as it often is.

    How was my 'instinct' wrong? In choosing to converse with someone who appears to have no
    understanding of what I'm saying? Stuff that. My instinct tells me that one day, Donny, you'll
    understand *exactly* what I'm talking about. So my time won't have been wasted after all.

    Quoted message said:

    You've misunderstood. It's not a "shield" at all.

    And you, my myopic friend, demonstrate a marked propensity to ignore what's sitting in plain view
    under your nose.

    Quoted message said:

    "Intuition" is not "thinking for yourself". It is the opposite of thinking.

    Perhaps. But it is unique to an individual, and each individual develops their own set of
    experiences and attributes which contribute to their 'instinct'. So it is 'doing something for
    yourself', even if it's not, technically, thinking.

    Anyway, you're running ahead of yourself. I wasn't proposing instinct as a replacement for
    considered thought, merely as a useful adjunct that you should trust from time to time.

    Quoted message said:

    Unless you want to do pure math (which I did in grad school), if you want to actually make
    inferences about the physical universe, you have better base your "thinking" on *data* extracted
    from the physical universe. Such data include "statistics" and "research findings", but as you gain
    experience, you become less dependent on such data. Even then, you can still use "statistics" and
    "research findings" from your own experiment of one.

    I'm not going to pretend I can't see the point you're making, nor do I intend to dispute your
    position, merely to question the application of the scientific method to every aspect of life.
    Science does not have all of the answers. In fact, science hasn't even begun to formulate all the
    questions.

    To be specific; to suggest - as you frequently do - that the current scientific method provides the
    most secure path to a successful running future is, I believe, fundamentally flawed.

    Quoted message said:

    To ignore all known data from the physical universe is just idiocy. Even people who think they're
    relying on "intuition" invariably have some basis for that intuition in their personal experience.
    However, the lack of rigor in the "intuition method" often leads them to draw erroneous
    conclusions.

    Or, more precisely, the lack of rigour in the 'intuition methods' means that it can't be adequately
    expressed in mathematical or scientific terms. Therefore, in your eyes, it lacks validity.

    Quoted message said:

    This is where we differ philosophically. In graduate school, one of the things I learned there is
    that your instincts are often wrong. This is why mathematicians write proofs of everything --
    because even the most insightful mathematicians and scientists are often wrong in their
    "intuitions". Even if you have, or believe you have "good instincts", they are still often wrong.
    Instincts are what cause people to ignore facts which are staring them in the face. "Theories" only
    have the same effect if you allow yourself to become emotionally attached to them, like a religion,
    but that is not an approach I advocate.

    Yet again, you seek to apply the scientific method to every aspect of life without considering the
    merits of the alternatives. A running example:

    Many years ago I was one of the unfortunate guinea-piggies of a research group looking into the
    relationship between the race performance of elite runners and their conditioning as measured by
    various parameters (don't search for results, they were never published). I was poked, prodded,
    de-blooded, analysed, gassed, VO2 maxed, rectal temp probed, etc, etc. over a three month period
    of competition. Bottom line was that our best race results didn't correlate well with the
    performance figures obtained in the labs. Boffins were mighty upset until one of the clever little
    buggers noticed that when we travelled by car to race meetings we ran better than when we
    travelled on the coach. Eventually, it was realised that most of us ran better when our
    girlfriends/boyfriends had driven us to the meet and were watching us. In other words, the most
    significant factor in our performance was the desire to look good in front of our babes/beaus, not
    whether our VO2 max was sky-high.

    I believe they had some difficulty expressing that in a meaningful dataset.

  13. In article said:

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 15:21:22 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    How was my 'instinct' wrong?

    Your initial instinct was to respond. Logical thinking corrected this impulse.

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway, you're running ahead of yourself. I wasn't proposing instinct as a replacement for
    considered thought, merely as a useful adjunct that you should trust from time to time.

    Then perhaps you misunderstand me, if you believe that I don't trust my intuition from time to time.
    For example, I ran my key breakthrough race Nov 23 last year (google the race report if you like)
    after I'd spent a week doing absolutely *no* training to knock out a thankfully very short-lived
    case of shinsplints.

    Obviously, this was a risky move, and the most risk-averse strategy would have been to avoid the
    race. But the weather was perfect, I was feeling fantastic, and I had an overwhelming gut feeling
    that I would be rewarded with a good time if I raced. So I set aside the "conventional wisdom", for
    just long enough to do that race, and it paid off.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm not going to pretend I can't see the point you're making, nor do I intend to dispute your
    position, merely to question the application of the scientific method to every aspect of life.

    Of course, but nowhere do I argue for applying the scientific method to everything.

    Quoted message said:

    To be specific; to suggest - as you frequently do - that the current scientific method provides
    the most secure path to a successful running future is, I believe, fundamentally flawed.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "the current scientific method". I've already stated that the
    experiences of others (which are documented in research) are useful for someone who lacks
    experience.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    To ignore all known data from the physical universe is just idiocy. Even people who think they're
    relying on "intuition" invariably have some basis for that intuition in their personal experience.
    However, the lack of rigor in the "intuition method" often leads them to draw erroneous
    conclusions.

    Or, more precisely, the lack of rigour in the 'intuition methods' means that it can't be
    adequately expressed in mathematical or scientific terms. Therefore, in your eyes, it lacks
    validity.

    No, I mean that it leads people to conclude things that are just plain wrong. Like the Sun revolving
    around the earth, or the heavier ball falling faster, or the earth being flat.

    For me, the ultimate test of validity is whether it works on the race track. Zapotek's borderline
    insane training was, I'd argue, valid -- for him -- because it ultimately produced results.

    I agree with you that these lab tests are problematic. The more I hear about VO2 max measurements,
    the less I believe that they're useful performance predictors. They may predict performance in VO2
    max stress tests, but that's about it. One thing that I've learned from reading about "cutting edge"
    science from Noakes is that the science isn't that well understood. What Sam calls Noakes' "central
    governor model" borders on voodoo, it's almost like defining a god or something -- an arbitrary and
    fictitious entity.

    [good anecdote snipped]

    Quoted message said:

    I believe they had some difficulty expressing that in a meaningful dataset.

    Yes, again, I understand that lab testing isn't everything. Again, my approach to reviewing
    empirical data is very performance oriented. I'm ultimately only interested in what produces a good
    outcome on the track or the racecourse.

    BTW, a psychologist would be much better at handling that sort of data (social support and athletic
    performance -- it would make an interesting topic in itself) The reason the researchers couldn't do
    anything with that data is that the data lay well outside of their professional training.
    Basically, they don't know anything about psychology, so they can't make well-informed inferences
    from such data.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi pegasus.rutgers.edu~elflord

  14. Donovan Rebbechi said:

    Then perhaps you misunderstand me, if you believe that I don't trust my intuition from time to
    time. For example, I ran my key breakthrough race Nov 23 last year (google the race report if you
    like) after I'd spent a week doing absolutely *no* training to knock out a thankfully very short-
    lived case of shinsplints.

    OMG, it's worse than I thought. You validate my observations on the relative importance of instinct
    to running yet you argue elsewhere for the primacy of the scientific method.

    Cannot....respond.....stunned.....by.....illogical....response....

    Quoted message said:

    I'm not sure what you mean by "the current scientific method". I've already stated that the
    experiences of others (which are documented in research) are useful for someone who lacks
    experience.

    But someone 'who lacks experience' is poorly equipped to make an accurate assessment on the
    relevance of that research to their own position. Therefore they could be following a protocol that
    may be irrelevant to their situation or, at worst, positively harmful.

    Quoted message said:

    No, I mean that it leads people to conclude things that are just plain wrong. Like the Sun
    revolving around the earth, or the heavier ball falling faster, or the earth being flat.

    Yeah, the earth isn't flat! Sure! Try pulling the wool over someone else's eyes will ya?

    Quoted message said:

    I agree with you that these lab tests are problematic. The more I hear about VO2 max measurements,
    the less I believe that they're useful performance predictors. They may predict performance in VO2
    max stress tests, but that's about it. One thing that I've learned from reading about "cutting
    edge" science from Noakes is that the science isn't that well understood. What Sam calls Noakes'
    "central governor model" borders on voodoo, it's almost like defining a god or something -- an
    arbitrary and fictitious entity.

    I think the central problem I have with Sam, Lyndon, Oz, yourself, and your fellow travellers is
    that you profess to have 'answers', and you claim these 'answers' to be based upon sound,
    repeatable, research.

    Much of the data in the field of exercise physiology is based on an extremely small, carefully pre-
    selected, study population. I'd don't question the results when applied to the study population, I
    question the relevance of many of the findings to the broader athletic population as a whole.

    One can't always scale up research results and expect the same results distribution to appear in the
    general population. Sure, sometimes it does and then you're onto something. But when you're dealing
    with something as specific as offering advice to a runner you've never met (which is, you may
    recall, where this Norse saga began) then I argue that intuition is as good a benchmark as quoting
    from Noakes.

    Quoted message said:

    BTW, a psychologist would be much better at handling that sort of data (social support and athletic
    performance -- it would make an interesting topic in itself)

    Yes, it would. So what doesn't a bright bunny such as yourself write a proposal for funding and
    investigate the subject?

  15. In article said:
    Donovan Rebbechi said:

    Then perhaps you misunderstand me, if you believe that I don't trust my intuition from time to
    time. For example, I ran my key breakthrough race Nov 23 last year (google the race report if you
    like) after I'd spent a week doing absolutely *no* training to knock out a thankfully very short-
    lived case of shinsplints.

    OMG, it's worse than I thought. You validate my observations on the relative importance of
    instinct to running yet you argue elsewhere for the primacy of the scientific method.

    Cannot....respond.....stunned.....by.....illogical....response....

    I did not argue anywhere that the scientific method must be practiced to the exclusion of everything
    else. Indeed, in the absence of a well-supported theory, one can use intuition. Testing a hypothesis
    is part of the scientific method, it is not an enemy of it. The hypothesis can be (and often is)
    based on intuition.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm not sure what you mean by "the current scientific method". I've already stated that the
    experiences of others (which are documented in research) are useful for someone who lacks
    experience.

    But someone 'who lacks experience' is poorly equipped to make an accurate assessment on the
    relevance of that research to their own position.

    A book that talks about "running for beginners" is probably relevant to beginners. A book about
    "advanced marathoning" is probably relevant to serious marathon runners.

    Research and empirical data needs to be packaged in a way that makes it comprehensible to the
    target audience.

    However, even then, the beginner still doesn't know whether or not this information is valid or
    relevant, so they depend on the experiences of other beginners.

    Quoted message said:

    Therefore they could be following a protocol that may be irrelevant to their situation or, at
    worst, positively harmful.

    What are the alternatives ? They could form their own theories and test them, but this is extremely
    wasteful. It's easier to learn from others mistakes than it is to repeat them all (we don't have
    enough years in our lives to do the latter)

    Quoted message said:

    I think the central problem I have with Sam, Lyndon, Oz, yourself, and your fellow travellers is
    that you profess to have 'answers', and you claim these 'answers' to be based upon sound,
    repeatable, research.

    What are some of the "answers" that I claim to have, for example ?

    I'll point out that in Lyndon's case, he has directly observed a lot of what he talks about, and has
    experience that validates a lot of the theory. His experience is particularly interesting to me,
    because of the profile of his "subject pool".

    Quoted message said:

    Much of the data in the field of exercise physiology is based on an extremely small, carefully pre-
    selected, study population.

    Not all of the studies deal with elite athletes. There are some that deal with endurance athletes of
    good but sub-elite ability (comparable to the faster runners on r.r), some that deal with overweight
    subjects, and some that deal with average subjects.

    Quoted message said:

    I'd don't question the results when applied to the study population, I

    I not only question the results applied to that population, I tend to question that the results
    applied outside the bounds of the lab. Again, I'm ultimately interested in what happens on the
    race track.

    There are examples (in fact you named one) of factors that influence performance on the race track
    but don't show up clearly in the lab.

    Quoted message said:

    One can't always scale up research results and expect the same results distribution to appear in
    the general population. Sure, sometimes it

    Fair enough. You'll note that I didn't criticise your program, even though as Lyndon pointed out, it
    does breach "conventional wisdom". I've actually talked with people who've found that doing
    anaerobic training improved their distance racing performances (though I'm not one of them)

    Quoted message said:

    does and then you're onto something. But when you're dealing with something as specific as
    offering advice to a runner you've never met (which is, you may recall, where this Norse saga
    began) then I argue that intuition is as good a benchmark as quoting from Noakes.

    It depends on whose intuition, doesn't it ? Maybe your intuition is good, but the beginners
    intuition is not as good. When the beginner comes to you for advice, they are already looking
    outside for data. If they know what's good for them, they will also attempt to find other sources
    that confirm/refute your recommendations. They are *not* relying on their own intuition (well, they
    may have the intuition that you're a troll and hence untrustworthy ;-)

    What would be most relevant for beginners would be the advice of someone who has worked with and
    coached beginners, and also understands the science.

    Noakes is of limited use to beginners, except as a tool to satisfy scientific curiosity. The
    information is too raw to be manageable.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi pegasus.rutgers.edu~elflord

  16. On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:16:40 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    I think I'm flogging a patch of dust where ten years ago there lay a dead horse.

    Thanks for the mental workout Donny, you're improving with every post. Who knows what you'll
    eventually achieve if you keep this up? You may best me yet - yeah, I know, you thought you
    already had :-)

    For some unaccountable and inexplicable reason, I believe I'm beginning to like you.

    Have a good weekend.

  17. Cumulus said:
    Doug Freese said:
    Quoted message said:

    Have you been having a bad day or something ?

    Quoted message said:

    He just loves to bust your balls.

    You're so precious when you irritated. I really enjoy your writing style albeit a vast
    crock of [censored].

    --
    Doug Freese "Caveat Lector" [email hidden]

  18. Deepest Blue said:

    For some unaccountable and inexplicable reason, I believe I'm beginning to like you.

    You like everyone when you're on your medications.

    --
    Doug Freese "Caveat Lector" [email hidden]

  19. "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, rick++


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Try running on a road. A treadmill is only a simulation, and a poor one at that.

    [censored].

    --
    Donovan Rebbechi pegasus.rutgers.edu~elflord

    I agree and disagree. The problem with training on a treadmill for most people is that when they
    race outside, they are not accustomed to the sensations or even the pounding. Granted, the American
    woman who won the US marathon trials in 2000 did a huge volume of her training on a treadmill, out
    of necessity. She lived (lives?) in Alaska and the Trials were in February that year. Of course the
    real benefit from her probably came in that she was more heat acclimated than the other women and
    the weather was unseasonably warm.

  20. According to one source (Fox and Mathews, 1974) the 5000m is 70% aerobic. However, I believe that
    more recent information pushes it closer to 80%.

    If it is not aerobic why do 5K runners put in so much mileage?

    "SwStudio" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Paul Robeson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    Sure. *Everything* is aerobic to the rec.runners. Go google for a table displaying the relative
    aerobic/anaerobic components of the 5k. Or better still, go run one fast. Then come back here
    and tell me it's an aerobic event.

    You may find this hard to believe Paul, but the 5k *is* an aerobic event. I believe your idea of
    what aerobic means could be misunderstood. It would be impossible to run anaerobically more than a
    very short time. Even distance such as the mile and 800m have major aerobic significance.

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.