Max. time on indoor trainer?

Cusp

Sep 17, 2006
Hello,

Just curious - what is the recommended MAX. time on an indoor trainer. Can I do a 90 minute workout on a trainer? Or better yet - ride for a couple of hours?

Knew a guy in Ohio that would come to Florida every spring for racing in Feb/Mar. He wanted to be in shape, not just get a suntan. So he'd ride his trainer 3 x 4hrs a week, with lots of intervals. Crazy, but doable. Lots of stories like that from snow bound racers.

Max Time - until your crotch can't take any more !- that is the limiting factor for me - & my record is 1 hr 40

Thanks ... I was just curious about heating problems with the trainer. Also - when I bought my 1upUSA trainer - the guy that I spoke to on the phone didn't fully recommend riding on the trainer for HOURS on end.

Cusp said:
recommended MAX. time on an indoor trainer. Can I do a 90 minute workout on a trainer? Or better yet - ride for a couple of hours?
Recommended? ZERO!

I've done over 2 hours, but I dread even having the thing with me for race warm ups. Blech.

NomadVW said:
Recommended? ZERO!

I've done over 2 hours, but I dread even having the thing with me for race warm ups. Blech.
:D :D
1 hr for me and only if I really really have to but I suspect I'm gunna need to work on that....

Longest that I've spent on a trainer is 2.5 hours. Heat shouldn't be a limiting factor. It's easy enough to set up a fan blowing on you, and a table closeby with plenty of water bottles. For me, boredom is the limiting factor. At about an hour, any drive that came from the knowledge of a hard and rewarding workout is lost. I HAVE to do intervals to keep my head in it. And watching tv or listening to music doesn't help very much. Thus I usually use the trainer exclusively for intervals on days when I either can stand the snow, cold or rain.

you know what we need? I think this really should have been made by now if it hasn't, a virtual reality bikeride helmet! haha, i think that would be sick, goes right over your head so all you see is like a nice easy ride or a race, whatever you put in. the hd tvs with dvds are cool but helmet virtual reality is way better.

Jace1283 said:
you know what we need? I think this really should have been made by now if it hasn't, a virtual reality bikeride helmet! haha, i think that would be sick, goes right over your head so all you see is like a nice easy ride or a race, whatever you put in. the hd tvs with dvds are cool but helmet virtual reality is way better.
Yeah, I can't wait to wear a helmet indoors when I'm churning out the power on a trainer, better include an air conditioner in that design..........

Cusp said:
Hello,

Just curious - what is the recommended MAX. time on an indoor trainer. Can I do a 90 minute workout on a trainer? Or better yet - ride for a couple of hours?
longest for me is 4-hr over five years of CT usage. Generally I limit it to once a week 3:00-3:15 to simulate our longish Saturday ride. Most days are around 1.5hrs and that goes pretty fast for me.

I'd prefer to work hard on there most days and not target any rides below tempo (Coggan Level 3).

Of course, I have heard of Triathletes preparing for early season races .. or races in another Hemisphere performing some ungodly long workouts on them.

FWIW, I've found ~10-12 hrs/wk in winter sustainable. Much more than that and I've had problems with electrolytes, cramping etc. etc.

daveryanwyoming said:
Yeah, I can't wait to wear a helmet indoors when I'm churning out the power on a trainer, better include an air conditioner in that design..........
Lol, I remember a couple years ago, I saw a tech-art expo where they had a 360 projector (it would project inside a circular cloth, about 8 to 10 feet in diameter). That coupled with a motorized trainer that would feel curves and hills would be bliss!!!

Maybe when I win the lotery... I'll let you all know how cool it is.

normanwells said:
Lol, I remember a couple years ago, I saw a tech-art expo where they had a 360 projector (it would project inside a circular cloth, about 8 to 10 feet in diameter). That coupled with a motorized trainer that would feel curves and hills would be bliss!!!

Maybe when I win the lotery... I'll let you all know how cool it is.
About 2:15 doing the "tough love" workout (spinerval) regularly do 1:40 interval workouts always with a dvd of the tour or spinerval workout. I'm going to try the full 3:00 "tough love" workout tomorrow, until now have not had the time or the physical enduance to do 3hr of stand/sit workouts. The fist time was the 2:15 and I had to stop could not stand on the pedals anymore. But 6wks has passed and I think its time to try again.

Jace1283 said:
Actually, I work for a 3D Virtual Reality company, and someone manufactures 'gamerbike' which is compatible with our world system. Our largest is bigger than California. Plus there's hundreds of other worlds to ride around in.

http://www.riderunrow.com/

This helps me a lot.

We have scheduled rides on line in the winter with people from all over the US and EU. The trainers that do the software justice aren't cheap, but it's definately do-able!

MartinInMass said:
Actually, I work for a 3D Virtual Reality company, and someone manufactures 'gamerbike' which is compatible with our world system. Our largest is bigger than California. Plus there's hundreds of other worlds to ride around in.
Is there a link for your company's site. I'm dying of curiosity.