Max tire size on my road bike?

tepidarium

Nov 21, 2003
Hi,

Is there a way to tell what maximum tire size will fit on my road bike? I currently have 700c x23 tires and would like to use 700c x 28. If there is going to be a problem it will be with the rear wheel - I don't know if my frame is wide enough to accept the 28. I would rather not go to the trouble of mail ordering the tire and then find out it doesn't fit. Is there a way to measure this somehow? Thanks...:)

I don't know of a concrete way to assess this, but if you take your bike to a decent bike shop, they should be able to tell you at a glance whether or not you will get away with 28mm tyres.

Originally posted by mjw_byrne
I don't know of a concrete way to assess this, but if you take your bike to a decent bike shop, they should be able to tell you at a glance whether or not you will get away with 28mm tyres.

Thanks for your reply. I've already been to my LBS - they say it will "probably" accept the tire size. This didn''t make me feel comfortable, I guess the only thing to do is to seek a second opinion...then cross my fingers!

Originally posted by tepidarium
Thanks for your reply. I've already been to my LBS - they say it will "probably" accept the tire size. This didn''t make me feel comfortable, I guess the only thing to do is to seek a second opinion...then cross my fingers!
All 28s aren't the same 'size' anyway.

Originally posted by boudreaux
No... There is no standardization of width or height of the actual tyre even tho all 28x700c fit on the same 622 bead seat diameter rim. One 28 might fit his cycle,and another might not.

Yeah, I've noticed that.........so the seat tube may be an area of possible contact with a taller/higher profile tire?

Originally posted by p55mac
Yeah, I've noticed that.........so the seat tube may be an area of possible contact with a taller/higher profile tire?
Fork crown too.

Originally posted by boudreaux
No... There is no standardization of width or height of the actual tyre even tho all 28x700c fit on the same 622 bead seat diameter rim. One 28 might fit his cycle,and another might not.

I want to equip my bike with Roll-y Pol-y tires (Rivendell) - they say the tires are actually 27 even though the sidewall says 28. The space that exists in the union of seat tube & chainstays seems really narrow with not much clearance with 23 tires installed. & I am skeptical that the tire will fit. LBS said the front tire will not be a problem...

Originally posted by tepidarium
I want to equip my bike with Roll-y Pol-y tires (Rivendell) - they say the tires are actually 27 even though the sidewall says 28. The space that exists in the union of seat tube & chainstays seems really narrow with not much clearance with 23 tires installed. & I am skeptical that the tire will fit. LBS said the front tire will not be a problem...

I wouldn't go mail order, untill you've actually seen that specific 28c(or 27) tire at a LBS, and compared it to your 23. Besides, it's Rivendell's house tire, so you can't do this. I've browsed Rivendell before, and never saw an up-front, no hassle return/gaurantee policy. You probably can, but you'll pick up shipping for the return trip.

Originally posted by p55mac
I wouldn't go mail order, untill you've actually seen that specific 28c(or 27) tire at a LBS, and compared it to your 23. Besides, it's Rivendell's house tire, so you can't do this. I've browsed Rivendell before, and never saw an up-front, no hassle return/gaurantee policy. You probably can, but you'll pick up shipping for the return trip.

Harris Cyclery also sells the Roll-y Pol-y. I can return it if it doesn't fit but yes, I will have to pay the return shipping. I'd like to use this tire but no one sells it locally.