max tire width

Snake

Guest
Hi folks. I am looking at a used bicycle on the internet and wondering how
to determine if it will take wide, cyclocross-style tires. Anyone know the
details on a Fuji Royale or know how to tell the seller what to measure???
Thanks,
Snake

--
Mark Atwell
Louisville, KY

"Snake" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi folks. I am looking at a used bicycle on the internet and wondering how
> to determine if it will take wide, cyclocross-style tires. Anyone know the
> details on a Fuji Royale or know how to tell the seller what to measure???

Jeez. You want the dimension between the seat stays and the chain stays
for the rear, and the dimension between the front fork tubes, at the
position where the tire passes by. That will tell you if the tire will
fit through, if you know the width of the tire you want to use.

You also want to know how much radial clearance you have at those three
dimensions. Don't assume it will work with only a little bit of room;
things do bend a little in use.

Thanks Ted.
Since I don't have the bike in front of me and since I don't have an
inflated cyclocross tire either, both of those measurements are difficult
for me. I'm just wondering if a 700x32 or 35 tire would fit.
Snake

--
Louisville, KY
(please remoove the dashes in my email address:
[email protected])

"Ted" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Snake" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks. I am looking at a used bicycle on the internet and wondering
>> how
>> to determine if it will take wide, cyclocross-style tires. Anyone know
>> the
>> details on a Fuji Royale or know how to tell the seller what to
>> measure???

> Jeez. You want the dimension between the seat stays and the chain stays
> for the rear, and the dimension between the front fork tubes, at the
> position where the tire passes by. That will tell you if the tire will
> fit through, if you know the width of the tire you want to use.
>
> You also want to know how much radial clearance you have at those three
> dimensions. Don't assume it will work with only a little bit of room;
> things do bend a little in use.

Booker,
Thank you. This bike is marketed as a fast commmuter by Fuji. Right at
20lbs with 105 components but with a flat handlebar and cantis. It is sold
with stock 700x26 tires. I'd just like to go a little wider...
Mark
"Booker C. Bense"

"Snake" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<TCZdd.511539$8_6.145934@attbi_s04>...
> Hi folks. I am looking at a used bicycle on the internet and wondering how
> to determine if it will take wide, cyclocross-style tires. Anyone know the
> details on a Fuji Royale or know how to tell the seller what to measure???
> Thanks,
> Snake

In addition to what others have said let me add (for future reference)
that older bikes that were made for 27 inch tires generally will take
any size cyclocross tire. The problem with those bikes is usually
brake reach, as another poster described.

If you want a steel cyclocross frame there is nothing like the quality
CroMo frames from the 80s, available in thrift stores and garage sales
for $40 or less. Just my opinion. I've taken two such frames and
made off road cross bikes out of them by swapping on new components.

Tom

Hmmmmm, I hear ya. I like the built-up-beater idea but I really like the
lightweight of the Royale too.... I've been wrasslin' with the two for some
time and found a used Royale for a good price and think I'll go that way IF
it will fit wide tires...
THANKS,
Snake

--
Mark Atwell
Louisville, KY
(please remoove the dashes in my email address:
[email protected])

"Thomas Reynolds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Snake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Hi folks. I am looking at a used bicycle on the internet and wondering
>> how
>> to determine if it will take wide, cyclocross-style tires. Anyone know
>> the
>> details on a Fuji Royale or know how to tell the seller what to
>> measure???
>> Thanks,
>> Snake

> In addition to what others have said let me add (for future reference)
> that older bikes that were made for 27 inch tires generally will take
> any size cyclocross tire. The problem with those bikes is usually
> brake reach, as another poster described.
>
> If you want a steel cyclocross frame there is nothing like the quality
> CroMo frames from the 80s, available in thrift stores and garage sales
> for $40 or less. Just my opinion. I've taken two such frames and
> made off road cross bikes out of them by swapping on new components.
>
> Tom

"Snake" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi folks. I am looking at a used bicycle on the internet and wondering how
> to determine if it will take wide, cyclocross-style tires. Anyone know the
> details on a Fuji Royale or know how to tell the seller what to measure???

The Fuji Royale has been made for a long time. Its available tire
clearance has almost certainly varied over that time. If it has
cantilevers/linear-pulls, you'll be able to run whatever tire fits
between the chainstays, most likely 38mm or so. Have the seller
measure the inside width of the chainstays where the tire passes, and
subtract about 5mm to determine a practical maximum tire width.

Chalo Colina

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 02:59:03 GMT, Ted <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Snake" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks. I am looking at a used bicycle on the internet and wondering how
>> to determine if it will take wide, cyclocross-style tires. Anyone know the
>> details on a Fuji Royale or know how to tell the seller what to measure???

>Jeez. You want the dimension between the seat stays and the chain stays
>for the rear, and the dimension between the front fork tubes, at the
>position where the tire passes by. That will tell you if the tire will
>fit through, if you know the width of the tire you want to use.

Don't stop there. You'll also want to find out how much clearance is
present between the fork crown and the tread of the tire; some forks
have more lateral than vertical clearnace (possibly to allow for
safety in the event of a spoke failure), and this can be the limiting
factor for tire size just as easily as width.

>You also want to know how much radial clearance you have at those three
>dimensions.

Yes, that's what I was heading for.

>Don't assume it will work with only a little bit of room;
>things do bend a little in use.

Yup. And if something goes wrong, you want a little extra wiggle
room.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Mr. Reynolds.
Were your old frames set up for cantilever brakes or do you have a method of
installing pegs???
THanks