Maximizing life expectancy/enjoyment

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Ignoramus20526, Oct 7, 2003.

  1. After returning from obesity to normal weight (223/177/180) due to a
    eat no crap/eat less/exercise more approach, I am now thinking about
    health in general. What I would like to know is, what are the things
    that a person can do to maximize their life expectancy/enjoyment of
    life via various natural means (no meds). I want to be clear that I
    want the maximum life expectancy multiplied by enjoyment of life. So
    any regimen that makes me live longer but makes me miserable is not
    something that I would like to consider.

    I will appreciate references to some non-kooky books that do not
    advocate spending money on programs affiliated with their authors.

    I am not interested in having an "extreme body", squatting 500 lbs,
    etc etc. However I am interested in being fit, agile, strong, and
    flexible.

    My current thinking is that the cornerstone of such an approach is
    doing lots of low intensity aerobic exercise such as walking, plus
    calisthenics based strength training. Another cornerstone is staying
    within the normal weight interval. The third cornerstone is eating
    only natural and healthy food, according to some definition. To me it
    means eating no heavily processed foods and no sugar. The fourth is to
    have a stable life and to not work too much.

    I am aware that there is some scant evidence that living on calorie
    restricted diet (1500 or so calories per day all the time) also can
    help one live longer. But smoehow I have a feeling that such a life is
    either impossible or not satisfying to me. Right now I eat about
    1900-2000 calories per day, walk 100 minutes per day, and my weight is
    relatively stable for the last 3 weeks. I can live on that but not on
    much less, I think.

    Does anyone have any comments or book suggestions?

  2. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Ignoramus20526 wrote:
    :: After returning from obesity to normal weight (223/177/180) due to a
    :: eat no crap/eat less/exercise more approach, I am now thinking about
    :: health in general. What I would like to know is, what are the things
    :: that a person can do to maximize their life expectancy/enjoyment of
    :: life via various natural means (no meds). I want to be clear that I
    :: want the maximum life expectancy multiplied by enjoyment of life. So
    :: any regimen that makes me live longer but makes me miserable is not
    :: something that I would like to consider.
    ::
    :: I will appreciate references to some non-kooky books that do not
    :: advocate spending money on programs affiliated with their authors.
    ::
    :: I am not interested in having an "extreme body", squatting 500 lbs,
    :: etc etc. However I am interested in being fit, agile, strong, and
    :: flexible.

    Have you read Pavel's books? They might be of use in some of these areas.

    ::
    :: My current thinking is that the cornerstone of such an approach is
    :: doing lots of low intensity aerobic exercise such as walking, plus
    :: calisthenics based strength training.

    I think this is highly personal. One may decide to engage in bicycling,
    swimming, yada, yada, yada...if you aske me, lots of low intensity aerobic
    exercise such as walking is boring as hell. But if that floats your
    boat.....

    Another cornerstone is staying
    :: within the normal weight interval. The third cornerstone is eating
    :: only natural and healthy food, according to some definition. To me it
    :: means eating no heavily processed foods and no sugar. The fourth is
    :: to have a stable life and to not work too much.

    eating no heavily processed foods and no sugar, all the time? Well, your
    cup of tea....I'd shoot for 90% or so, myself.

    ::
    :: I am aware that there is some scant evidence that living on calorie
    :: restricted diet (1500 or so calories per day all the time) also can
    :: help one live longer. But smoehow I have a feeling that such a life
    :: is either impossible or not satisfying to me. Right now I eat about
    :: 1900-2000 calories per day, walk 100 minutes per day, and my weight
    :: is relatively stable for the last 3 weeks. I can live on that but
    :: not on much less, I think.
    ::
    :: Does anyone have any comments or book suggestions?

    Just eat well, move often & sometimes fast, lift heavy, and rest and play
    well. :) And when you figure it all out, write your own book.

  3. I read one Pavel's book (Power to the people). Any other suggestions?

    In article <[email protected]>, Roger Zoul wrote:
    > Ignoramus20526 wrote:
    >:: After returning from obesity to normal weight (223/177/180) due to a
    >:: eat no crap/eat less/exercise more approach, I am now thinking about
    >:: health in general. What I would like to know is, what are the things
    >:: that a person can do to maximize their life expectancy/enjoyment of
    >:: life via various natural means (no meds). I want to be clear that I
    >:: want the maximum life expectancy multiplied by enjoyment of life. So
    >:: any regimen that makes me live longer but makes me miserable is not
    >:: something that I would like to consider.
    >::
    >:: I will appreciate references to some non-kooky books that do not
    >:: advocate spending money on programs affiliated with their authors.
    >::
    >:: I am not interested in having an "extreme body", squatting 500 lbs,
    >:: etc etc. However I am interested in being fit, agile, strong, and
    >:: flexible.
    >
    > Have you read Pavel's books? They might be of use in some of these areas.
    >
    >::
    >:: My current thinking is that the cornerstone of such an approach is
    >:: doing lots of low intensity aerobic exercise such as walking, plus
    >:: calisthenics based strength training.
    >
    > I think this is highly personal. One may decide to engage in bicycling,
    > swimming, yada, yada, yada...if you aske me, lots of low intensity aerobic
    > exercise such as walking is boring as hell. But if that floats your
    > boat.....
    >
    > Another cornerstone is staying
    >:: within the normal weight interval. The third cornerstone is eating
    >:: only natural and healthy food, according to some definition. To me it
    >:: means eating no heavily processed foods and no sugar. The fourth is
    >:: to have a stable life and to not work too much.
    >
    > eating no heavily processed foods and no sugar, all the time? Well, your
    > cup of tea....I'd shoot for 90% or so, myself.
    >
    >::
    >:: I am aware that there is some scant evidence that living on calorie
    >:: restricted diet (1500 or so calories per day all the time) also can
    >:: help one live longer. But smoehow I have a feeling that such a life
    >:: is either impossible or not satisfying to me. Right now I eat about
    >:: 1900-2000 calories per day, walk 100 minutes per day, and my weight
    >:: is relatively stable for the last 3 weeks. I can live on that but
    >:: not on much less, I think.
    >::
    >:: Does anyone have any comments or book suggestions?
    >
    > Just eat well, move often & sometimes fast, lift heavy, and rest and play
    > well. :) And when you figure it all out, write your own book.

  4. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Ignoramus20526 wrote:
    :: I read one Pavel's book (Power to the people). Any other suggestions?

    He has one on joint health and another on stretching, and yet another on
    building strong abs. Actually, they are all advertised in this PTTP book.

    I think his PTTP book may be the kind of thing you want as I envision Pavel
    himself as being someone who you might want to emulate, healthwise....of
    course, I could be way, way off on that....

    You can check them all out on Amazon.com .... just search on Pavel...

  5. Thanks. I was somewhat taken aback by the relation of the price of his
    book to the quantity of information in it though. I added those books
    to my wish list and maybe will buy them later.

    In article <[email protected]>, Roger Zoul wrote:
    > Ignoramus20526 wrote:
    >:: I read one Pavel's book (Power to the people). Any other suggestions?
    >
    > He has one on joint health and another on stretching, and yet another on
    > building strong abs. Actually, they are all advertised in this PTTP book.
    >
    > I think his PTTP book may be the kind of thing you want as I envision Pavel
    > himself as being someone who you might want to emulate, healthwise....of
    > course, I could be way, way off on that....
    >
    > You can check them all out on Amazon.com .... just search on Pavel...

  6. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Ignoramus20526 wrote:
    :: Thanks. I was somewhat taken aback by the relation of the price of
    :: his
    :: book to the quantity of information in it though. I added those
    :: books
    :: to my wish list and maybe will buy them later.

    Yes...they seem short.....however, the length of a book has little to do
    with the quality of information. Most book writers add unnecessary fluff,
    imo. pavel's books are pricey, however, no doubting that.

    decide what you think about PTTP....if you think the quality of information
    is low, you may feel the same about the others. work from there...

  7. Tim Tyler

    Tim Tyler Guest

    In sci.med.nutrition Ignoramus20526 <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:

    > My current thinking is that the cornerstone of such an approach is
    > doing lots of low intensity aerobic exercise such as walking, plus
    > calisthenics based strength training.

    Yoga, Tai Chi, swimming and resistance training all seem worthwhile.

    > I am aware that there is some scant evidence that living on calorie
    > restricted diet (1500 or so calories per day all the time) also can
    > help one live longer.

    There's better evidence for that than for practically any other
    intervention. Maybe more evidence for it than all other
    interventions combined!

    It is most likely to affect longevity. The effects on QOL vary.

    http://calorierestriction.org/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=4

    ....explains what side effects can be part of the package.
    --
    __________
    |im |yler http://timtyler.org/ [email protected] Remove lock to reply.

  8. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    "Ignoramus20526" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > After returning from obesity to normal weight (223/177/180) due to a
    > eat no crap/eat less/exercise more approach, I am now thinking about
    > health in general. What I would like to know is, what are the things
    > that a person can do to maximize their life expectancy/enjoyment of
    > life via various natural means (no meds).

    There's a ton of stuff out there, but I think that some simple things are
    Don't smoke
    Wear your seat belt
    Control your blood pressure and cholesterol
    Eat decently, exercise, keep your weight within bounds
    Depending on gender and age, have mammograms, Pap smears, prostate checks,
    perhaps an occasional stress test
    Use alcohol and recreational drugs with care
    Do not act as an enabler to people who drive you nuts

  9. In article <[email protected]>, Tim Tyler wrote:
    > In sci.med.nutrition Ignoramus20526 <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:
    >
    >> My current thinking is that the cornerstone of such an approach is
    >> doing lots of low intensity aerobic exercise such as walking, plus
    >> calisthenics based strength training.

    > Yoga, Tai Chi, swimming and resistance training all seem worthwhile.
    >
    >> I am aware that there is some scant evidence that living on calorie
    >> restricted diet (1500 or so calories per day all the time) also can
    >> help one live longer.

    > There's better evidence for that than for practically any other
    > intervention. Maybe more evidence for it than all other
    > interventions combined!
    >
    > It is most likely to affect longevity. The effects on QOL vary.
    >
    > http://calorierestriction.org/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=4
    >
    > ...explains what side effects can be part of the package.

    Thanks. I am reading about calorie restriction with great
    interest. Empirically, when I restricted my calories as part of my
    weight loss effort, I started feeling much better. Could be a
    coincidence.

    223/177/180

  10. I especially like your last suggestion. Very insightful.

    In article <[email protected]>, Anthony wrote:

    > "Ignoramus20526" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> After returning from obesity to normal weight (223/177/180) due to a
    >> eat no crap/eat less/exercise more approach, I am now thinking about
    >> health in general. What I would like to know is, what are the things
    >> that a person can do to maximize their life expectancy/enjoyment of
    >> life via various natural means (no meds).

    > There's a ton of stuff out there, but I think that some simple things are
    > Don't smoke
    > Wear your seat belt
    > Control your blood pressure and cholesterol
    > Eat decently, exercise, keep your weight within bounds
    > Depending on gender and age, have mammograms, Pap smears, prostate checks,
    > perhaps an occasional stress test
    > Use alcohol and recreational drugs with care
    > Do not act as an enabler to people who drive you nuts

  11. Tim Tyler

    Tim Tyler Guest

    In sci.med.nutrition Ignoramus20526 <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Tim Tyler wrote:

    >> It is most likely to affect longevity. The effects on QOL vary.
    >>
    >> http://calorierestriction.org/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=4
    >>
    >> ...explains what side effects can be part of the package.

    > Thanks. I am reading about calorie restriction with great
    > interest. Empirically, when I restricted my calories as part of my
    > weight loss effort, I started feeling much better. Could be a
    > coincidence.

    I reckon it's useful to know about it - even if you don't practice it.

    *Mild* CR seems beneficial for both QOL *and* longevity - and
    seems like a bit of a no-brainer to me. More severe practice
    can notoriously have some drawbacks, though.

    CR web site: http://calorierestriction.org/
    CR book: Beyond the 120 Year Diet, Dr Walford.
    --
    __________

  12. In article <[email protected]>, Tim Tyler wrote:
    > In sci.med.nutrition Ignoramus20526 <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:
    >> In article <[email protected]>, Tim Tyler wrote:

    >>> It is most likely to affect longevity. The effects on QOL vary.
    >>>
    >>> http://calorierestriction.org/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=4
    >>>
    >>> ...explains what side effects can be part of the package.

    >> Thanks. I am reading about calorie restriction with great
    >> interest. Empirically, when I restricted my calories as part of my
    >> weight loss effort, I started feeling much better. Could be a
    >> coincidence.

    > I reckon it's useful to know about it - even if you don't practice it.
    >
    > *Mild* CR seems beneficial for both QOL *and* longevity - and
    > seems like a bit of a no-brainer to me. More severe practice
    > can notoriously have some drawbacks, though.

    That's how I see it as well. I like the idea of mild calorie
    restriction -- staying within your weight and being generally hungry
    before meals. The litmus test of eating right, at least during weight
    loss phase, is that I should be hungry for a part of the day, but not
    for the entire day.

    I however would not want to deal with fallout from, say, a
    disappearing sex drive (I am married), etc etc. I do not want to live
    until 120, however I would very much prefer to be active and alert
    during my 80's. I have two 80 year old grandmothers who are actually
    in great shape, more or less. And one grandpa as well, not in as great
    shape but decent. The one who died at 78 was a WWII veteran (he was a
    russian jew who fought against germans) and that could conceivably
    have shortened his life. All in all, I think, if I do sensible things,
    I do have a shot at this. I am 32 right now.

    I have orderedthe book that you mentioned below, for just $1.44 from amazon.

    > CR web site: http://calorierestriction.org/
    > CR book: Beyond the 120 Year Diet, Dr Walford.

  13. how long were you obese?
    how old are you?
    what is your daily schedule like?

    --
    read and post daily, it works!
    rosie

    i like your christ, I do not like your christians, your christians
    are so unlike your christ.
    ..............................................gandhi

  14. In article <OuCgb.14379$%[email protected]>, rosie read and post wrote:
    > how long were you obese?

    obese, for about a year.

    overweight, for all my adult life.

    > how old are you?

    32

    > what is your daily schedule like?

    5:15 wake up, 6:05 leave home, 6:51 train leaves station, 4:30 train
    arrives back, 5:10 I arrive home, 5:30 I start playing with my son/do
    household stuff, 9 pm I start putting him to bed, 9:50 free time,
    10:20 I am in bed.

  15. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Ignoramus20526 wrote:
    :: In article <OuCgb.14379$%[email protected]>, rosie read
    :: and post wrote:
    ::: how long were you obese?
    ::
    :: obese, for about a year.
    ::
    :: overweight, for all my adult life.
    ::
    ::: how old are you?
    ::
    :: 32
    ::
    ::: what is your daily schedule like?
    ::
    :: 5:15 wake up, 6:05 leave home, 6:51 train leaves station, 4:30 train
    :: arrives back, 5:10 I arrive home, 5:30 I start playing with my son/do
    :: household stuff, 9 pm I start putting him to bed, 9:50 free time,
    :: 10:20 I am in bed.

    So where is that 100 minutes of walking hidden?

  16. In article <[email protected]>, Roger Zoul wrote:
    > Ignoramus20526 wrote:
    >:: In article <OuCgb.14379$%[email protected]>, rosie read
    >:: and post wrote:
    >::: how long were you obese?
    >::
    >:: obese, for about a year.
    >::
    >:: overweight, for all my adult life.
    >::
    >::: how old are you?
    >::
    >:: 32
    >::
    >::: what is your daily schedule like?
    >::
    >:: 5:15 wake up, 6:05 leave home, 6:51 train leaves station, 4:30 train
    >:: arrives back, 5:10 I arrive home, 5:30 I start playing with my son/do
    >:: household stuff, 9 pm I start putting him to bed, 9:50 free time,
    >:: 10:20 I am in bed.
    >
    > So where is that 100 minutes of walking hidden?

    40 minutes from home to train, 10 minutes from train to work, reverse
    order for going home...

  17. Once upon a time, our fellow Tim Tyler
    rambled on about "Re: Maximizing life expectancy/enjoyment."
    Our champion De-Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition retorts, thusly ...

    >There's better evidence for that than for practically any other
    >intervention. Maybe more evidence for it than all other
    >interventions combined!

    Then your science is just plain stupid, and wrong to boot. :)

    Just thought that you might want to know. :)

  18. Proton Soup

    Proton Soup Guest

    On 7 Oct 2003 13:36:39 GMT, Ignoramus20526
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >After returning from obesity to normal weight (223/177/180) due to a
    >eat no crap/eat less/exercise more approach, I am now thinking about
    >health in general. What I would like to know is, what are the things
    >that a person can do to maximize their life expectancy/enjoyment of
    >life via various natural means (no meds). I want to be clear that I
    >want the maximum life expectancy multiplied by enjoyment of life. So
    >any regimen that makes me live longer but makes me miserable is not
    >something that I would like to consider.
    >
    >I will appreciate references to some non-kooky books that do not
    >advocate spending money on programs affiliated with their authors.
    >
    >I am not interested in having an "extreme body", squatting 500 lbs,
    >etc etc. However I am interested in being fit, agile, strong, and
    >flexible.
    >
    >My current thinking is that the cornerstone of such an approach is
    >doing lots of low intensity aerobic exercise such as walking, plus
    >calisthenics based strength training. Another cornerstone is staying
    >within the normal weight interval. The third cornerstone is eating
    >only natural and healthy food, according to some definition. To me it
    >means eating no heavily processed foods and no sugar. The fourth is to
    >have a stable life and to not work too much.
    >
    >I am aware that there is some scant evidence that living on calorie
    >restricted diet (1500 or so calories per day all the time) also can
    >help one live longer. But smoehow I have a feeling that such a life is
    >either impossible or not satisfying to me. Right now I eat about
    >1900-2000 calories per day, walk 100 minutes per day, and my weight is
    >relatively stable for the last 3 weeks. I can live on that but not on
    >much less, I think.
    >
    >Does anyone have any comments or book suggestions?

    Masturbate daily to lube the prostate and prevent cancer.

    Proton Soup

  19. Once upon a time, our fellow Ignoramus20526
    rambled on about "Re: Maximizing life expectancy/enjoyment."
    Our champion De-Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition retorts, thusly ...

    >Thanks. I am reading about calorie restriction with great
    >interest. Empirically, when I restricted my calories as part of my
    >weight loss effort, I started feeling much better. Could be a
    >coincidence.
    >223/177/180

    Ha, ... Hah, Ha!

    When you get down to being a walking skeleton, then you can brag about
    being interested in CR.

    You got a long way to go, buddy.

    Just thought that you might want to know. :)

  20. DRS

    DRS Guest

    Proton Soup <[email protected]> wrote in message
    [email protected]

    [...]

    > Masturbate daily to lube the prostate and prevent cancer.

    Did you know that in medical circles prostate cancer is known as the
    priest's disease? It's true.

    --

    A: Top-posters.