Maximizing life expectancy/enjoyment

In article <[email protected]>, DRS wrote:
> Proton Soup <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Masturbate daily to lube the prostate and prevent cancer.

> Did you know that in medical circles prostate cancer is known as the
> priest's disease? It's true.

I thought AIDS was priests' disease these days...

Ignoramus20526 <[email protected]> wrote in message
[email protected]
> In article <[email protected]>, DRS wrote:
>> Proton Soup <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> Masturbate daily to lube the prostate and prevent cancer.

>> Did you know that in medical circles prostate cancer is known as the
>> priest's disease? It's true.

> I thought AIDS was priests' disease these days...

Er, no.

--

A: Top-posters.

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 04:40:06 +1000, "DRS" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Proton Soup <[email protected]> wrote in message
>[email protected]
>
>[...]
>
>> Masturbate daily to lube the prostate and prevent cancer.

>Did you know that in medical circles prostate cancer is known as the
>priest's disease? It's true.

No, I didn't know that, but it makes for a cool piece of trivia.

Did you also know that priestly celibacy is non-Biblical, and based
purely on ancient Roman Catholic politics?

Proton Soup

Proton Soup <[email protected]> wrote in message
[email protected]
> On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 04:40:06 +1000, "DRS" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Proton Soup <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> [email protected]
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Masturbate daily to lube the prostate and prevent cancer.

>> Did you know that in medical circles prostate cancer is known as the
>> priest's disease? It's true.

> No, I didn't know that, but it makes for a cool piece of trivia.

It is. I just thought I'd chuck it in in case anyone hadn't caught up with
the fact that regular masturbation really truly does reduce the risk of
prostate cancer.

> Did you also know that priestly celibacy is non-Biblical, and based
> purely on ancient Roman Catholic politics?

I did indeed, but it's not as entertaining at dinner parties as my bit of
trivia. So there. :)

--

A: Top-posters.

>Do not act as an enabler to people who drive you nuts

Boy I like that one!!

I "think" I know what you mean.... but can you expand
on that a bit?

How does one enable people who drive you nuts?

John

In article <[email protected]>,
Ignoramus20526 <[email protected]> wrote:

> After returning from obesity to normal weight (223/177/180) due to a
> eat no ****/eat less/exercise more approach, I am now thinking about
> health in general. What I would like to know is, what are the things
> that a person can do to maximize their life expectancy/enjoyment of
> life via various natural means (no meds). I want to be clear that I
> want the maximum life expectancy multiplied by enjoyment of life. So
> any regimen that makes me live longer but makes me miserable is not
> something that I would like to consider.
>
> I will appreciate references to some non-kooky books that do not
> advocate spending money on programs affiliated with their authors.
>
> I am not interested in having an "extreme body", squatting 500 lbs,
> etc etc. However I am interested in being fit, agile, strong, and
> flexible.
>
> My current thinking is that the cornerstone of such an approach is
> doing lots of low intensity aerobic exercise such as walking, plus
> calisthenics based strength training. Another cornerstone is staying
> within the normal weight interval. The third cornerstone is eating
> only natural and healthy food, according to some definition. To me it
> means eating no heavily processed foods and no sugar. The fourth is to
> have a stable life and to not work too much.
>
> I am aware that there is some scant evidence that living on calorie
> restricted diet (1500 or so calories per day all the time) also can
> help one live longer. But smoehow I have a feeling that such a life is
> either impossible or not satisfying to me. Right now I eat about
> 1900-2000 calories per day, walk 100 minutes per day, and my weight is
> relatively stable for the last 3 weeks. I can live on that but not on
> much less, I think.
>
> Does anyone have any comments or book suggestions?

Aside from proper nutrition and exercise, I think the number one thing most
people can do to both improve their health and their enjoyment of life is
this: Get enough sleep!!! This gets overlooked a lot in our busy lives,
but it's so important to every aspect of health, both physical and
emotional.

--
-Michelle Levin (Luna)
http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

"Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Aside from proper nutrition and exercise, I think the number one thing

most
> people can do to both improve their health and their enjoyment of life is
> this: Get enough sleep!!! This gets overlooked a lot in our busy lives,
> but it's so important to every aspect of health, both physical and
> emotional.

Meditate!!!!!

Luna wrote:
:: In article <[email protected]>,
:: Ignoramus20526 <[email protected]> wrote:
::
::: After returning from obesity to normal weight (223/177/180) due to a
::: eat no ****/eat less/exercise more approach, I am now thinking about
::: health in general. What I would like to know is, what are the things
::: that a person can do to maximize their life expectancy/enjoyment of
::: life via various natural means (no meds). I want to be clear that I
::: want the maximum life expectancy multiplied by enjoyment of life. So
::: any regimen that makes me live longer but makes me miserable is not
::: something that I would like to consider.
:::
[...]

Yeah, but how much is enough....it varies...

Ignoramus20526 wrote:

> After returning from obesity to normal weight (223/177/180) due to a
> eat no ****/eat less/exercise more approach, I am now thinking about
> health in general. What I would like to know is, what are the things
> that a person can do to maximize their life expectancy/enjoyment of
> life via various natural means (no meds). I want to be clear that I
> want the maximum life expectancy multiplied by enjoyment of life. So
> any regimen that makes me live longer but makes me miserable is not
> something that I would like to consider.
>
> I will appreciate references to some non-kooky books that do not
> advocate spending money on programs affiliated with their authors.
>
> I am not interested in having an "extreme body", squatting 500 lbs,
> etc etc. However I am interested in being fit, agile, strong, and
> flexible.
>
> My current thinking is that the cornerstone of such an approach is
> doing lots of low intensity aerobic exercise such as walking, plus
> calisthenics based strength training. Another cornerstone is staying
> within the normal weight interval. The third cornerstone is eating
> only natural and healthy food, according to some definition. To me it
> means eating no heavily processed foods and no sugar. The fourth is to
> have a stable life and to not work too much.
>
> I am aware that there is some scant evidence that living on calorie
> restricted diet (1500 or so calories per day all the time) also can
> help one live longer. But smoehow I have a feeling that such a life is
> either impossible or not satisfying to me. Right now I eat about
> 1900-2000 calories per day, walk 100 minutes per day, and my weight is
> relatively stable for the last 3 weeks. I can live on that but not on
> much less, I think.
>
> Does anyone have any comments or book suggestions?

Mice live *twice* as long in captivity if they are given only half as much
as they would eat ad libitum.

Not only do they live longer but they a physically more active in their
older age. Imagine humans doubling their lifespan to 150 years and
playing tennis when they are 120 years old.

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

rosie read and post wrote:

> how long were you obese?
> how old are you?
> what is your daily schedule like?
>
> --
> read and post daily, it works!
> rosie
>
> i like your christ, I do not like your christians, your christians
> are so unlike your christ.
> .............................................gandhi

Ghandhi's dead.

Christ lives.

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist
http://www.heartmdphd.com/

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 20:38:32 -0400, "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Mice live *twice* as long in captivity if they are given only half as much
>as they would eat ad libitum.
>
>Not only do they live longer but they a physically more active in their
>older age. Imagine humans doubling their lifespan to 150 years and
>playing tennis when they are 120 years old.

You certainly have an active imagination. There is no objective
evidence that caloric restriction in humans would have the same effect
as in mice.

Roger

I am not an animal. I am a man.

Elephant Man

DRS wrote:

> Proton Soup <[email protected]> wrote in message
> [email protected]
>
> [...]
>
> > Masturbate daily to lube the prostate and prevent cancer.

> Did you know that in medical circles prostate cancer is known as the
> priest's disease? It's true.

Speaking as a physician, it is not true.

Risk of prostate cancer is higher in folks with higher testosterone
levels. Testosterone levels tend to be higher in folks that masturbate
(or are otherwise sexually active) than folks who aren't. Sorry.

--

Tim Tyler wrote:

> In sci.med.nutrition Ignoramus wrote or quoted:
>
>> I am aware that there is some scant evidence that living on
>> calorie restricted diet (1500 or so calories per day all
>> the time) also can help one live longer.

> There's better evidence for that than for practically any
> other intervention. Maybe more evidence for it than all
> other interventions combined!

I think this conclusion will be reversed when researchers
realize that sarcopenia and osteopenia are much greater
threats to longevity in people over, say, 60 years of age than
bodymass per se. IOW, extrapolating animal models to humans
is not reasonable here.

> It is most likely to affect longevity. The effects on QOL
> vary.
>
> http://calorierestriction.org/modules.php?

name=Sections&op=vi
> ewarticle&artid=4
>
> ...explains what side effects can be part of the package.

Jesus! That list of horrors sure supports my case!

--
-Wayne

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 00:46:04 GMT, roger<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 20:38:32 -0400, "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Mice live *twice* as long in captivity if they are given only half as much
>>as they would eat ad libitum.
>>
>>Not only do they live longer but they a physically more active in their
>>older age. Imagine humans doubling their lifespan to 150 years and
>>playing tennis when they are 120 years old.

>You certainly have an active imagination. There is no objective
>evidence that caloric restriction in humans would have the same effect
>as in mice.

I thought there was some evidence that periodic fasting was
advantageous, prompting the body to go into a repair cycle. But maybe
that was just speculation regarding studies on mouses.

>Roger
>
>I am not an animal. I am a man.
>
> Elephant Man

Proton Soup

In article <[email protected]>,
"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:

> ::
> :: Aside from proper nutrition and exercise, I think the number one
> :: thing most people can do to both improve their health and their
> :: enjoyment of life is this: Get enough sleep!!! This gets overlooked
> :: a lot in our busy lives, but it's so important to every aspect of
> :: health, both physical and emotional.
>
> Yeah, but how much is enough....it varies...

You know . . . . enough. People can generally tell when they're getting
enough sleep, right? Can't they? I can . . . I just assumed that it was,
um, obvious?

--
-Michelle Levin (Luna)
http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick
http://www.mindspring.com/~designbyluna

Roger, you can try calorie restriction which has proven to extend
lives of some animals by about 50%. Scientific American did an article
about this.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=000BC08E-5B8C-1D2B-97CA809EC588EEDF&pageNumber=1&catID=2

Excerpt:

Our hunt for cr mimetics grew out of our desire to better understand
caloric restriction's many effects on the body. Scientists first
recognized the value of the practice more than 60 years ago, when they
found that rats fed a low-calorie diet lived longer on average than
free-feeding rats and had a reduced incidence of conditions that
become increasingly common in old age. What is more, some of the
treated animals survived longer than the oldest-living animals in the
control group, which means that the maximum life span (the oldest
attainable age), not merely the average life span, increased. Various
interventions, such as infection-fighting drugs, can increase a
population's average survival time, but only approaches that slow the
body's rate of aging will increase the maximum life span.

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 20:48:31 -0400, "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>DRS wrote:
>
>> Proton Soup <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> [email protected]
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> > Masturbate daily to lube the prostate and prevent cancer.

>> Did you know that in medical circles prostate cancer is known as the
>> priest's disease? It's true.
>>

>Speaking as a physician, it is not true.
>
>Risk of prostate cancer is higher in folks with higher testosterone
>levels. Testosterone levels tend to be higher in folks that masturbate
>(or are otherwise sexually active) than folks who aren't. Sorry.

This is what we're talking about. I'm sure more studies will follow.

Proton Soup

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Speaking as a physician, it is not true.
>
>Risk of prostate cancer is higher in folks with higher testosterone
>levels. Testosterone levels tend to be higher in folks that masturbate
>(or are otherwise sexually active) than folks who aren't. Sorry.

And now for a dissenting opinion:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3072021.stm

Roger

Luna wrote:
:: In article <[email protected]>,
:: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
::
::
:::::
::::: Aside from proper nutrition and exercise, I think the number one
::::: thing most people can do to both improve their health and their
::::: enjoyment of life is this: Get enough sleep!!! This gets
::::: overlooked a lot in our busy lives, but it's so important to
::::: every aspect of health, both physical and emotional.
:::
::: Yeah, but how much is enough....it varies...
:::
:::
::
:: You know . . . . enough. People can generally tell when they're
:: getting enough sleep, right? Can't they? I can . . . I just
:: assumed that it was, um, obvious?

I've been able to train myself to use less sleep. Also, I've been through
periods when I felt drowsy even after having lots of sleep. I think a lot
of people assume they can, but that doesn't make it so.