Maximum Carbon Spacer Stack Height?

ballietf

May 13, 2003
I purchased a Look HSC-3 carbon fork with a 300mm steerer tube. I believe I would benefit by having a carbon spacer stack height of 40-50 mm, but I have heard that the maximum stack height should be 30mm and some have said 1.5 inches (~38mm). I'm riding a 110mm, 10 degree rise, 35mm steerer clamp stem along with a frame with a head tube length of 171mm and a Chris King 1.25" headset. I'm 6'3" 172 lbs. What can I truly get away with and still be safe. My riding style is strictly road riding, the local hammerfest, etc. Thanks for the help.

you need to check your fork manufacturer's data. some forks require no more than 25 mm.

and be sure to cut your steerer long enough so that you can get a spacer on top of the stem so you don't tighten the clamp over the end of the steerer.

The advice about the spacer above the stem on carbon steerers is wellknown. For this reason I was surprised to find out the Reynolds recommend not using a spacer on top of the stem! The reason being that Reynolds forks come with a speciel expansion plug, that works againts the stress applied to the steerer by the stem. By adding an extra spacer the expansion plug is moved away from the center of the stem where is does the most good.