Maximum heart rate (and accuracy of Polar "Fitness Test")

markwill

Jul 11, 2004
I am a new owner of both my road bike and a Polar S720i - and learning the ropes on both counts. As a starting point for all the various measurements I'll be taking :), I want to know my maximum heat rate. As far as I can tell, the following three options exist for me (going from least to most accurate):

• Age based (220 - age)
  • Polar Fitness Test
  • Clinically measured by a doctor
  • Is the Polar Fitness Test more accurate than the agre-based estimate or is it just a marketing gimmick?
  • Is a lower maximum heart rate always "worse"?
  • Is there a relationship between a resting heart rate and a maximum?
  • Should I be concerned with an apparent maximum heart of 171? For the record, I did some intervals on Saturday (my first) and achieved 165 pretty easily. I am sure I had plenty "in the tank".

Anyway, I am trying to understand the importance and value of maximum heart rate and any pointers would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark

markwill said:
I am a new owner of both my road bike and a Polar S720i - and learning the ropes on both counts. As a starting point for all the various measurements I'll be taking :), I want to know my maximum heat rate. As far as I can tell, the following three options exist for me (going from least to most accurate):

• Age based (220 - age)
  • Polar Fitness Test
  • Clinically measured by a doctor
  • Is the Polar Fitness Test more accurate than the agre-based estimate or is it just a marketing gimmick?
  • Is a lower maximum heart rate always "worse"?
  • Is there a relationship between a resting heart rate and a maximum?
  • Should I be concerned with an apparent maximum heart of 171? For the record, I did some intervals on Saturday (my first) and achieved 165 pretty easily. I am sure I had plenty "in the tank".

Anyway, I am trying to understand the importance and value of maximum heart rate and any pointers would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark

a maximal (i.e., MAP/VO2max) test will establish your HRmax. This can be done at a sports science lab, or is something i offer.

Maximum HR decreases with increasing fitness.

Resting HR should always be lower than HRmax !!!!

I've coached elite espoirs (U23) who have a HRmax of 165 bpm. Conversely, i coached masters riders with a HRmax of 190+ bpm.

ric

ricstern said:
I've coached elite espoirs (U23) who have a HRmax of 165 bpm. Conversely, i coached masters riders with a HRmax of 190+ bpm.

ric
Thanks for the response. So, although I am not familiar with these terms (elite espoirs or master riders), I'm assuming the basic point is that a "low" HRMax doesn't necessarily tell anything, yes?

In relation to "Maximum HR decreases with increasing fitness", I was assuming all along that my maximum heart rate would INCREASE as my fitness improves (thinking of it as a form of "maximum capacity" of sorts). I guess I need to rethink this.

I was considering the fact that my Polar Fitness Test number (171) is 10 bpm lower than the guestimate from age (181) as being a "bad thing". But now I guess I need to rethink that - if I understand your response correctly, it's actually good news, not bad :)

Thanks again. Learning as I go here...

Mark

markwill said:
Thanks for the response. So, although I am not familiar with these terms (elite espoirs or master riders), I'm assuming the basic point is that a "low" HRMax doesn't necessarily tell anything, yes?

that's correct, the number itself doesn't mean anything.

Espoir = 18 - 23 y old
Master = 30+ y old

In relation to "Maximum HR decreases with increasing fitness", I was assuming all along that my maximum heart rate would INCREASE as my fitness improves (thinking of it as a form of "maximum capacity" of sorts). I guess I need to rethink this.

decreases or may stay the same. if it increases, then you simply never hit your max before!

hope it helps
ric

ricstern said:
a maximal (i.e., MAP/VO2max) test will establish your HRmax. This can be done at a sports science lab, or is something i offer.

Maximum HR decreases with increasing fitness.

Resting HR should always be lower than HRmax !!!!

ric
Is it possible to go over your max hr??? by the 220-age formula, mine should be 197bpm, but the other day when I was climbing a big hill really hard, I got up to 204bpm. Is this gonna cause harm? or is this my real max hr???

ricstern said:
that's correct, the number itself doesn't mean anything.

Espoir = 18 - 23 y old
Master = 30+ y old

decreases or may stay the same. if it increases, then you simply never hit your max before!

hope it helps
ric
What concerns me (not sure if it's a valid concern) is that, with the Polar reporting that my maximum is 10 bpm below the more simplistic age-based estimate, I am unsure on whether I should adjust my sessions (where heart rate is a factor) accordingly. Getting my heart rate into the 160's is really pretty simple for me but, if I listen to the Polar, I am within 10 bpm of my "max" (171). This is why I am interested in the accuracy of the Polar Fitness Test - is it just a marketing gimmick or should I really accept that my maximum is 10 bpm lower than the age-based estimate. Yes, I can get it clinically measured I guess but at this point I'd just like a reasonably accurate estimate.

Thanks.

Mark

vwsmity said:
Is it possible to go over your max hr??? by the 220-age formula, mine should be 197bpm, but the other day when I was climbing a big hill really hard, I got up to 204bpm. Is this gonna cause harm? or is this my real max hr???

the 220-age your age isn't your HRmax, that's just the group average based on a regression equation.

your real max may be higher still. only once that i can recall have i ever hit my max on the road. actually twice, now i think about it. mainly hit it in the lab

ric

ricstern said:
the 220-age your age isn't your HRmax, that's just the group average based on a regression equation.

your real max may be higher still. only once that i can recall have i ever hit my max on the road. actually twice, now i think about it. mainly hit it in the lab

ric
What happens when you hit it?? I remember hitting what I think was my max a few summers back... I felt like I was gonna fall over...saw stars and everything. Happened when I climbed an insanely steep hill that was 2 miles long in 90degree-plus weather. 210bpm.

ricstern said:

ric
i too have recently purchased the 720i...and cant firgure out how to adjust the permanent odometer or ewven make the fit test work!
poo! help!

izzodesh said:
i too have recently purchased the 720i...and cant firgure out how to adjust the permanent odometer or ewven make the fit test work!
poo! help!
What actually happens when you follow the instructions in the manual?