maximum heart rate and vo2max testing in chicago area?

sma

Apr 24, 2006
does anyone know where i can get tested for these in the chicago area? i'm looking to get a professional test done before i start training so i can gauge my results.

sma said:
does anyone know where i can get tested for these in the chicago area? i'm looking to get a professional test done before i start training so i can gauge my results.
A buddy of mine went here last year:

http://www.visionquestcoaching.com/perf_zone.cfm

A couple of times a year, I also see adverts for exams at U of C, etc...

Keep an eye open and I am sure you will find something...

Jim

otb4evr said:
A buddy of mine went here last year:

http://www.visionquestcoaching.com/perf_zone.cfm

A couple of times a year, I also see adverts for exams at U of C, etc...

Keep an eye open and I am sure you will find something...

Jim

thanks for the link. gentleman i spoke to says that robbie himself does all of the testing. $300. sound too high? i'm wondering if it's really worth it, or if I should keep looking elsewhere.

sma said:

Neither test is particularly good for assessing fitness (especially HRmax). Whilst, VO2max is the rate limiting mechanism in endurance exercise, it's perhaps not the best variable to measure.

Better measures are power output -- testing your MAP, and also your sustainable power output, along with your sprint power. It can be worthwhile getting these tests done by professionals (i.e., sports scientists), as they'd (hopefully) be able to interpret the meanings of the results and what it may mean for you, and how you should alter your training accordingly.

Of course, you could also just invest in a power meter (such as the Power Tap or SRM) and perform these tests yourself. If you get coaching (which of course we can offer) then a good coach can interpret these results and help out.

Ric