Maximum Heart Rate exceeded

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Dr Lodge, May 9, 2012.

1. Dr Lodge

Dr Lodge New Member

I went out for a short (12 mile) ride last nght, first time wearing my heart rate monitor connected to the Garmin Edge 800. I'm 44, so the theoretical max HR for me is 176 (220-age). During the ride my heart rate went up to the low 150s, then stayed steady in the low 160s which is > 90% of maximum. On a steep hill towards the end with me having to get of the saddle and *just* about making it to the top in one piece, my HR maxed out at 185...in excess of the theoretical 176 maximum.

Is this normal? Did I over do it? I didn't do anything differently to how I've been riding all my life.

I remember once as a young lad and getting to the top of a hill, my heart rate was beating about 5 times a second, thats 300bps although it soon dropped away. My mum didn't believe me at the time, and I'm not sure I believe myself now!

Tags:

2. fenice

fenice New Member

That is not your maximum heart rate, that 'formula' was discredited a long time ago and your MHR is what you've actually measured it to be, I'm 63 and relatively new to a regular cycling routine and my measured (by me) heart rate is 192. There are plenty of calculators and articles on the subject, I'll point you to some search results on the subject (as I'm not an expert and other may have some more specific advice for you).

Dr Lodge likes this.
  3. fenice

fenice New Member

That is not your maximum heart rate, that 'formula' was discredited a long time ago and your MHR is what you've actually measured it to be, I'm 63 and relatively new to a regular cycling routine and my measured (by me) heart rate is 192. There are plenty of calculators and articles on the subject, I'll point you to some search results on the subject (as I'm not an expert and other may have some more specific advice for you).

4. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Everyone varies to some degree. Wear the HR monitor for a while and find your average.Pay attention to how you feel and how your body reacts. If you have concerns see a physcian but I wouldn't stress over it.

Dr Lodge likes this.
  5. DanDare

DanDare New Member

That'll be when you flat-lined then, lol ??

6. fuzzed

fuzzed New Member

Funny, i too am 44 and have a similar thing happening, the first 3 or so miles of a ride my heart rate is in the 185 range and peaked once at 204. My normal resting rate is in the mid 40's... As others have said, the formula is not really valid.. I guess one becomes concerned when it hits zero.

For now I am going to stick with the theory it is age 44 which is the problem .. :)

7. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

Don't worry, it clears up as soon as you hit 45 /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Mine is 186 btw (@45). One of my younger riding partners likes to harrass me about it and call me "old man" as he easily get's past 200. In retort I can still drop him at will.

At 13, I swear I hit a golfball when at my granma's house clear over the field next to hers, a distance of about 150 yards. She was standing right next to me when I did it but still refused to believe it. To add insult to injury she refused to let me have another swing 'cause she didn't want the folks who owned the berry farms next door to get ticked off finding golf balls in their fields. I almost went insane trying to convince her... OP, I feel your pain.

8. An old Guy

An old Guy Member

In my 30's my max was somewhat over 205. (My heart rate monitor seemed to be limited to displaying above that number.)

In my 60's my max is about 185. That seems to be correct.

As others have said: the formula is not the best guide.

9. Dr Lodge

Dr Lodge New Member

Thanks for all your replys chaps, its puts my mind to rest that I am perfectly normal - in the respect of heart rate anyway :)

Hopefully out for a 40 mile club run at the weekend, this will be a real test of my endurance as not been in the saddle at over the past year.