Maximum Road Stem drop...

Jeff

Guest
I may need to get a new road stem and am trying to find one that has a good
bit of drop (negative rise). The lowest seem to go to 80 degrees (10 degrees
drop). Are their any good quality ones that I've missed that will put the
bars a slight bit lower than this?

Jeff

Jeff wrote:

> I may need to get a new road stem and am trying to find one that has a
> good bit of drop (negative rise). The lowest seem to go to 80 degrees
> (10 degrees drop). Are their any good quality ones that I've missed that
> will put the bars a slight bit lower than this?

Can't you get a positive rise stem and flip it upside down?

\\paul

"Paul Myron Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jeff wrote:
>>
>> I may need to get a new road stem and am trying to find one that has a
>> good bit of drop (negative rise). The lowest seem to go to 80 degrees (10
>> degrees drop). Are their any good quality ones that I've missed that will
>> put the bars a slight bit lower than this?

> Can't you get a positive rise stem and flip it upside down?

Well, yes, but the question is then simply restated as what company makes a
stem with the most positive rise? ...I've only seen 10 degrees rise.

On Sep 25, 9:43 pm, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Paul Myron Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...
>
> > Jeff wrote:

> >> I may need to get a new road stem and am trying to find one that has a
> >> good bit of drop (negative rise). The lowest seem to go to 80 degrees (10
> >> degrees drop). Are their any good quality ones that I've missed that will
> >> put the bars a slight bit lower than this?

> > Can't you get a positive rise stem and flip it upside down?

> Well, yes, but the question is then simply restated as what company makes a
> stem with the most positive rise? ...I've only seen 10 degrees rise.

IRD A4 is available in +/-17 and 25, and F4 is available in +/-30.

http://www.interlocracing.com/stems.html

In article <[email protected]>,
Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sep 25, 9:43 pm, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > "Paul Myron Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > messagenews:[email protected]...

> > > Can't you get a positive rise stem and flip it upside down?

> > Well, yes, but the question is then simply restated as what company makes a
> > stem with the most positive rise? ...I've only seen 10 degrees rise.

> > --

> IRD A4 is available in +/-17 and 25, and F4 is available in +/-30.
>
> http://www.interlocracing.com/stems.html

And if you get more desperate than that, There's the Look Ergostem:

http://www.glorycycles.com/loerhscst.html

It's a high-end stem, adjustable for height and reach, and designed such
that if you need to, it can put your bars well below the headset:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/tech/probikes/clignet_look/look_cl
ignet_pursuit01-action.jpg

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/tech/probikes/clignet_look/look_cl
ignet_pursuit02-bike.jpg

On Sep 26, 5:14 am, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I may need to get a new road stem and am trying to find one that has a good
> bit of drop (negative rise). The lowest seem to go to 80 degrees (10 degrees
> drop). Are their any good quality ones that I've missed that will put the
> bars a slight bit lower than this?
>
> Jeff

Deda Newton Pista has a 67deg angle (23deg drop) and the writing
wouldn't be upside down!

http://www.mtscyclesport.com/images/products/1753.jpg

Joseph

Jeff wrote:

> I may need to get a new road stem and am trying to find one that has a good
> bit of drop (negative rise). The lowest seem to go to 80 degrees (10 degrees
> drop). Are their any good quality ones that I've missed that will put the
> bars a slight bit lower than this?

QBP/Dimension offer some that are 35 degrees from perpendicular, or
about 18 degrees down from the horizontal on a typical sporting road
bike:

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=SM2377

Delta make some that are 45 degrees from perpendicular, about 28
degrees down from the horizontal:

http://www.deltacycle.com/product.php?g=6

Both of these require bars with 25.4mm centers.

Chalo

Jeff wrote:
> I may need to get a new road stem and am trying to find one that has a good
> bit of drop (negative rise). The lowest seem to go to 80 degrees (10 degrees
> drop). Are their any good quality ones that I've missed that will put the
> bars a slight bit lower than this?
>
> Jeff

Ritchey makes a '73 degree' which is minus 17 degree and pretty much
parallel to the ground.

In article <[email protected]>,
Jeff <[email protected]> wrote:

>I may need to get a new road stem and am trying to find one that has a good
>bit of drop (negative rise). The lowest seem to go to 80 degrees (10 degrees
>drop). Are their any good quality ones that I've missed that will put the
>bars a slight bit lower than this?

Specialized is making some nifty stems in either 16 or 24 degrees
that have a selection of canted shims such that you can adjust angle of the
stem +- 4 degrees, a really smart idea that works pretty well.

_ Booker C. Bense

Jeff wrote:
> I may need to get a new road stem and am trying to find one that has a
> good bit of drop (negative rise). The lowest seem to go to 80 degrees
> (10 degrees drop). Are their any good quality ones that I've missed that
> will put the bars a slight bit lower than this?

If it's threadless, a 'hi-rise' stem flips over to become a fashionable
'track' stem.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 22:14:59 -0500, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I may need to get a new road stem and am trying to find one that has a good
>bit of drop (negative rise). The lowest seem to go to 80 degrees (10 degrees
>drop). Are their any good quality ones that I've missed that will put the
>bars a slight bit lower than this?
>
>Jeff

As nobody else has mentioned it, the Oval R700 is a pretty good stem
available in 73 degrees in either bar size and any sensible length.

In oversize, the Ritchey WCS 4-Axis 73 degree and Deda Newton Pista 67
degree are both good.

The Ritchey Pro30 (60 degree) seems to be available only in short
lengths, and a step below any of the others in quality.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary