Maximum strength and cycling performance

Originally Posted by POGATA .

He`s a TdF winner/olympic champion and he claims he went to a gym to work on his core. And you guys on this forum claim that going to the gym is a waste of time/energy, and now you claim that hundred years of scientific study proves it. So why does this TdF winner/olympic champion waste his time/energy going to a gym to work on his core, or just claim to do so?
"Going to the gym". What does that even mean? The consensus is that strength training is a less than ideal allocation of time to get faster on the bike. There is great benefit to working the core and no one has claimed anything to the contrary. Core can be trained at the gym, my living room floor seems to do fine for me. If you want to go to the gym and get stronger just do it, but you are gonna have a tough time getting validation from anybody that bench presses will help your cycling.

Originally Posted by danfoz . There is great benefit to working the core and no one has claimed anything to the contrary.
Can you point to a study or some other evidence that confirms/quantifies that there is great benefit to working the core (in relation to endurance cycling)?

Originally Posted by frost .

Can you point to a study or some other evidence that confirms/quantifies that there is great benefit to working the core (in relation to endurance cycling)?
LOL NO! But I can only point to my own experience that strengthening my core and being engaged in an active stretching program allows me to maintain a more agressive/aerodynamic position on the bike more comfortably and with less injury and there are many studies that will support aerodynamic advantage as being a major contributor to speed on the bike.

Originally Posted by danfoz .

LOL NO! But I can only point to my own experience that strengthening my core and being engaged in an active stretching program allows me to maintain a more agressive/aerodynamic position on the bike more comfortably and with less injury and there are many studies that will support aerodynamic advantage as being a major contributor to speed on the bike.
Well, if you read the whole thread you'll see my own experience that is exactly the opposite. Even core strength has been the holy grail in fitness world recently and no doubt it is beneficial for everyday life, I still wouldn't jump to conclusion that it is automatically helpful for cycling performance. Quite many actually think that the thing that most helps in riding in aggressive position is .... riding more in aggressive position.

Well, if you read the whole thread you'll see my own experience that is exactly the opposite. Even core strength has been the holy grail in fitness world recently and no doubt it is beneficial for everyday life, I still wouldn't jump to conclusion that it is automatically helpful for cycling performance. Quite many actually think that the thing that most helps in riding in aggressive position is .... riding more in aggressive position.
I did read the whole thread, and I would agree that adding deadlifts to an activity that already focuses on hip/glute extension, and the spinal erectors/multifidus groups of the lower back has potential for ovekill. I'm thinking more along the line of hip and trunk flexors - upper and lower ab and oblique work like leg raises, planks, pilates ball, etc, and to stretch, not strengthen those muscle groups which would primarily be involved with your deadlift, and which already spend considerable amounts of time contracting while on the bike. One could have a monumental deadlift and still have a weak overall core. Personally much of my core work focuses on one single exercise, the slow pushup, with focus on contracting in the midsection holding the top of the pushup for 10-20 secs. The value for the bike comes from the contracting abdominus, the value for the beach comes from the contracting pectoral, deltoid, and tricep.

Without work off the bike, I pretty much peter out at about a 5cm difference between saddle/handlebar. With active core work I get closer to 6-7cm and the capacity to hammer in the drops for significant portions of time. I'm not pushing this as dogma, but where I have not heard many corroborate the need for extra strength, I have not heard many refute the need for stronger abs and many including Friel and Carmichael advocate such work.

Originally Posted by POGATA .

So you agree with CB that lifting weights can be bebeficial to a cyclist?

What I think is weird is that you guys claim that(or seem to do) lifting weights is completely useless, while the fastest raodracer in the world, claims that he goes to the gym, i.e. something doesn`t add up.

So the job of a coach is to do things differentely than what has worked for others?
If I cared about Boardman's opinion or anyone's opinion on training I would ask them direct.

I look at the evidence out there rather than what people claim to do. Lance Armstrong claimed that he got good and came back from cancer just from training alone.

The job of the coach is to facilitate the performance process. I don't follow the trend of the day and I don't make decisions for paying clients based on information from a general book about cycling no matter how good they are. Plenty of top cyclists don't do weight training and go pretty good.

Without work off the bike, I pretty much peter out at about a 5cm difference between saddle/handlebar. With active core work I get closer to 6-7cm and the capacity to hammer in the drops for significant portions of time. I'm not pushing this as dogma, but where I have not heard many corroborate the need for extra strength, I have not heard many refute the need for stronger abs and many including Friel and Carmichael advocate such work.
I have worked with riders to teach them to use their abdominal muscles to stabilize when riding. Other riders are concerned that too much core work leads to hypertrophy and that reduces power to weight and makes it harder to achieve an aerodynamic position. I think one study showing that subjects who did core work had less lateral movement of the knee but no significant change in performance to the control group.

I did read the whole thread, and I would agree that adding deadlifts to an activity that already focuses on hip/glute extension, and the spinal erectors/multifidus groups of the lower back has potential for ovekill. I'm thinking more along the line of hip and trunk flexors - upper and lower ab and oblique work like leg raises, planks, pilates ball, etc, and to stretch, not strengthen those muscle groups which would primarily be involved with your deadlift, and which already spend considerable amounts of time contracting while on the bike. One could have a monumental deadlift and still have a weak overall core. Personally much of my core work focuses on one single exercise, the slow pushup, with focus on contracting in the midsection holding the top of the pushup for 10-20 secs. The value for the bike comes from the contracting abdominus, the value for the beach comes from the contracting pectoral, deltoid, and tricep.

I can guarantee you don't do a monumental dead lift with weak abs or you will literally have internals coming through the abdomen wall. Obviously overall core strength has always been a part of training for olympic and power lifts in one way or another, it's just that the lifting folks don't make huge fuzz about it.

If you are interested there's an excellent write about sprinters weight training in fixedgearfever. There's something about the core work too.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

I definetely don't want to turn this into an internet p#ssing contest about who's got the biggest drop but I have somewhat aggressive position in TT-bike and the only way I can tolerate riding in that position for long periods is by riding it year around. No amount of abs work would help in that.

I definetely don't want to turn this into an internet p#ssing contest about who's got the biggest drop but I have somewhat aggressive position in TT-bike and the only way I can tolerate riding in that position for long periods is by riding it year around. No amount of abs work would help in that.
I'd loose that contest in a hurry - my minimal drop actually limits my choices in headtube sizes. There's no disputing strong abs are not the key factor in getting lower. However keeping the hams flexible allows me to go lower, and keeping the ab side of the core strong balances out my glutes and erectors and helps keep my back from going out, especially once I'm beyond the base period and spending more time hammering in the drops putting more stress on the posterior muscle groups.

well core training is doing things like sit ups, planks, pull ups or med balls right?

I think that kind of training just is to avoid back pain and help getting in a better position.

here is lance doing some stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ocs_w8bs-w

I would consider that strength training and of course such training is good to raise general athleticsm, muscular balance and back health but this is not heavy lifting. It might be more for health and staying in shape while getting rid of that bike for a few weeks after a hard season that to increase actual force production.

Originally Posted by dominikk85 .

well core training is doing things like sit ups, planks, pull ups or med balls right?
I suspect this is where some of the misunderstandings occur. I put the exercises you mention into core training, however for some it may mean squats and deadlifts, in addition to or maybe even in lieu of the exercises you mention. These two are the examples used for core strength exercises in the link in Frost's post while the term plank and the position it implies is not. In essence they are all core exercises. Understanding context is probably a good way to avoid misunderstanding just as the phrase "going to the gym" can have different implications for different people.

I think that kind of training just is to avoid back pain and help getting in a better position.

here is lance doing some stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ocs_w8bs-w

I would consider that strength training and of course such training is good to raise general athleticsm, muscular balance and back health but this is not heavy lifting. It might be more for health and staying in shape while getting rid of that bike for a few weeks after a hard season that to increase actual force production.
That's just great. I train like "this" because I saw Lance on a you tube clip or I read Chris Boardman wrote in a book written for mass (and uneducated) consumption. We all know why Lance was so good!

I suspect this is where some of the misunderstandings occur. I put the exercises you mention into core training, however for some folks it means squats and deadlifts. These two are the explicit examples referenced for core strength exercises in the link in Frost's post while the term plank, and the position it implies, is not mentioned. Just like "going to the gym" can have entirely different implications for different people.
Ditto for when I did and then coached gymnastics. We never did core exercises as most gymnastics exercise involve the core and you will never achieve the loading from a sit up that you achieve holding strict form.

Originally Posted by fergie .

That's just great. I train like "this" because I saw Lance on a you tube clip or I read Chris Boardman wrote in a book written for mass (and uneducated) consumption. We all know why Lance was so good!
Well 99% of all training is because somebody before did so. Babe ruth tried to emulate Joe jacksons swing. and ted williams watched babe ruth. the young teammates of coppi probably did what coppi did. most things are really done because of tradition and even pros do a lot of "bro science" things because "we always did it so". Pros do generally train well but they also have perfect genes and can get away with some things. especially in baseball and football you will often see terrible training and eating habits, as well as a total lack of understand of mechanics and still they are the best.

However I think that approach is not bad. even if there are some inefficiencies their training generally works. most things that are developed by scientists without an athletic background don't really work well. training methods are developed in the field even if you cannot prove the value of every single exercise.

There's something about the core work too.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif
After actually reading it a second go around I'm getting your rotfl - sometimes I'm multitasking at work. Funny I never thought of the deadlifts and squats as core in more recent years, but then thinking back to my earlier weightlifting days the squat the deadlift and the bench were the core exercises. Apparently my definitions have changed :)

Well 99% of all training is because somebody before did so. Babe ruth tried to emulate Joe jacksons swing. and ted williams watched babe ruth. the young teammates of coppi probably did what coppi did. most things are really done because of tradition and even pros do a lot of "bro science" things because "we always did it so". Pros do generally train well but they also have perfect genes and can get away with some things. especially in baseball and football you will often see terrible training and eating habits, as well as a total lack of understand of mechanics and still they are the best.

However I think that approach is not bad. even if there are some inefficiencies their training generally works. most things that are developed by scientists without an athletic background don't really work well. training methods are developed in the field even if you cannot prove the value of every single exercise.
Then why are you here asking questions? Just do what Lance did/img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

dominikk85 said:
most things that are developed by scientists without an athletic background don't really work well. training methods are developed in the field even if you cannot prove the value of every single exercise.
Please provide the examples of how the scientists are ineffective at what they do. I think you misunderstand what science is and how it's done. As for what's developed in the field, you should keep in mind that there is no shortage of things that have at one time been effective training methods only to be found later to not do what is claimed or to do so sub-optimally.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Please provide the examples of how the scientists are ineffective at what they do. I think you misunderstand what science is and how it's done.
As for what's developed in the field, you should keep in mind that there is no shortage of things that have at one time been effective training methods only to be found later to not do what is claimed or to do so sub-optimally.
Clearly no idea of what science is about. Also why would a person without a background in sport get involved in sport science? The pay is pretty **** and there is little glory.

I am involved in both coaching and sport science and the first thing a coach does is never let the sport scientists anywhere near the athletes. They are not trained to coach and a coach is not trained (unless you are both) to test theories and relay back to the coach to provide a practical application.