Maximum teeth from shimano derailleur?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bigbananabike, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

I've got a 9 speed training bike with a short cage rear derailleur - either 9 speed or 10 spee.
    It has a cassette with 12-28. The upper pulley looks pretty close to the 28 now.

I wouldn't mind putting say a 30 or 32 on it as its coming on to Winter and I still want to climb the hills here.

What is the max. teeth count it can cope with?

Thanks, Paul

Tags:

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Exactly which derailer is it?

3. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Most of the shimaNO short cage road derailleurs that are spec'd to run a 28-tooth maximum gear can be 'forced' to shift a 30 or 32 by cranking the 'B' screw to reduce the chain wrap. Some guys reverse the 'B' screw and some guys replace the OEM one with a longer one.

Another option is to go buy a cheap mountain bike derailleur that's compatible with your shifters. Lastly, it may be possible to fit a longer hanger if your frame has a replaceable one. That would be beyond my patience to track down, but they do exist for some frames.

4. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

Your CampagNOlo blood run deep. I have my Record 10 speed 'rello so I'm not all bad.

Thanks for the advice.
    I wound the B screw all the way in because of the 34.
    I'll never find a longer hanger for this frame - a Genius (like me?!) so might have to look at another derailleur.

5. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

The thing about Shimano rear derailleurs is that MTB 8- and 9- speed derailleurs are compatible with road 8-, 9-, and 10-speed. The pull rates are the same. Road 11 and MTB 10 and 11 are different animals, as are front derailleurs.

6. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

This is 9 spud so if I find a secondhand one I might grab it.