Maxxis detonator harsh ride.

Solanog

Feb 12, 2004
I just got a red pair of Detonators and my back was detonated!
I had a pair of Serfas Seca which resisted to die but were already showing the age, some cracks showed. So I got a new pair of Detonators, at the same pressure, around 110psi they felt quite more roug than the older tires. I went around the same route btw. There is been a long time since I don't ride tubulars but after this ride in the Detonators I really missed them, to the point that I'll be putting them in my bike next weekend just to remember the good old days! I stop riding on tubulars because of the price and also I never got to wear out one without getting a flat or a bad cut and having to throw it away. First flats were fun to repair then after a while it became not that fun!

I had a pair of detonators on my bike for a year or so with no problems at all. The ride was OK and I only had one flat . Try lowering your pressure a little and try them again. I am not to sure about what you are trying to post. But I will add your english is much better than my spanish.

It is surprising to me that the difference in ride and steering feel of tires varies so much. My usual tires are GP4000s so suppose that's my comparison point. I'm currently riding Vittoria Diamante Pro Light 25's, and the ride feels really supple, like the tires are underinflated at my usual 100F/110R pressures which work fine with the Conti's. I've started running the rear at 125 psi, because they just look and feel underinflated at 110 psi. Even at 125, the ride and roadholding is still great. The sidewalls say "130 psi min, 160 psi max" , but that seems like crazy-high pressure to me. Not sure my DT Swiss rims are even rated for that much pressure.

I used to ride on Vittorias! In fact for tubulars is the only ones I've had.
Vittorias are excellent tires from my point of view but here in Costa Rica they have become a little too expensive so there is not much availability.
And yes it is surprising the difference between tires. As I wrote above, this Maxxis give a harsh and rough ride, compare to the Serfas Secas that they replaced, I'm really dissapointed. Same route and same air pressure so different ride!

Seems like they are not that popular since there have been only two replies to this thread.

Michelin PR3's have a decent ride, as do Schwalble Ultremos and Conti GP4000s skins. I also think the ride of Maxxis Re-Fuse tires are perfectly acceptable. Of course any high thread count tire is going to have a comparatively good ride. Hell, even Conti Sprinter Gatorskins have a pretty good ride. Vittorias generally have a good ride, but Vittoria certainly isn't the first name in flat protection, and therein is the rub: you have to balance your tire needs and desires with the reality of how those needs and desires affect tire life, ride, puncture resistance, et al.

I really don't care that much about thread life, I don't ride that much and any tire I've used has lasted more than enough. I have had very few flats in years riding bikes so maybe tires have been good or I have been lucky, with tubulars punctures have happened much more often. So I like good ride and handling (tubulars are the best) puncture resistance and thread life.