Maxxis Hookworm 26" - When/Where?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Hippy, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    Does anyone know when these tyres will be available in Oz and where from?

    They are a large, slick, mtb tyre.

    Most "slicks" for mtb's are also skinny, but I'm after something that is just as fat as a DH tyre
    (say 2.3") but without all the knobs!

    Thanks for any info or other suggestions, hippy

    Tags:

  2. Kingsley

    Kingsley Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 05:28:25 +0000, hippy wrote:

    > Most "slicks" for mtb's are also skinny, but I'm after something that is just as fat as a DH tyre
    > (say 2.3") but without all the knobs!

    We have IRC Metro-cross Duros on the tandem. But there are a few flavours of these, we first tried
    the 700Cx38 (35?) on the singles. When Adam at Cheeky Monkey suggested the 26"x2" version for the
    new tandem wheel I was sold.

    On the tandem these ride beautifully - high pressure (85psi - high for a 'fatty' anyway), but bouncy
    enough to smooth out the ride, or should I say 'glide'.

    They are kevlar wound around the outside and are therefore reputed to be more puncture-resistant. On
    a recent tour out 'round Parkes we had a single puncture, whereas other tyres fell heavy victim to
    'Cat Head' throrns. I even pulled one from my the rubber of the 700C tyre where the tip of the thorn
    had been bent over and not penetrated the tube.

    I really like these tyres. They are very slick, and run almost sliently on the road (no road drone).
    I like to listen to the birds as I ride along, so this is important to me.

    They are of course, expensive.

    -kt

  3. Neil & Jill

    Neil & Jill Guest

    Mr Hippy

    Why a fat slick?

    Nell

    > Does anyone know when these tyres will be available in Oz and where from?
    >
    > They are a large, slick, mtb tyre.
    >
    > Most "slicks" for mtb's are also skinny, but I'm after something that is just as fat as a DH tyre
    > (say 2.3") but without all the knobs!
    >
    > Thanks for any info or other suggestions, hippy

  4. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Neil & Jill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mr Hippy
    >
    > Why a fat slick?

    Well I'm currently commuting to work on my mtb because my roadie commuter has a puncture. I found
    that I was enjoying riding the mtb a little more because I could do a few more things on it to/from
    work - jump stuff, ride it off the road, some trialsin' stuff.. it was a little more fun and wasn't
    a lot slower.

    It just happened to have a 2.3" Tioga Factory DH tyre and DH tube for the Lerderderg Gorge ride I
    did in Feb. This combo is great for harder landings because of it's ability to resist bottoming out
    and pinchflats. Problem is, the huge knobs are a total waste of energy and just get worn down
    quickly - wasting my money. So, I want a slick for the commuting aspect and I want it fat for the
    impacts it is likely to get.

    I hope that makes sense :) hip

  5. hippy wrote:

    > So, I want a slick for the commuting aspect and I want it fat for the impacts it is likely to get.
    >
    > I hope that makes sense :) hip

    Ritchey also makes a fat slick, and Tioga used to make a 2.0 version of the City Slicker. I have a
    slight 'Don't believe the hype' reaction to the Hookworm - that file tread and siping is totally
    pointless, but I don't think anyone except possibly Avocet makes a really treadless 2.0 slick.

  6. Ollie Wigg

    Ollie Wigg Guest

    Someone makes a tire fir called the "slickrock" or perhaps "Moab" designed for, you guessed, the
    slickrock of moab. I don't know mutch about it but the intended uses sound similar. Might be worth a
    google. Ollie "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know when these tyres will be available in Oz and where from?
    >
    > They are a large, slick, mtb tyre.
    >
    > Most "slicks" for mtb's are also skinny, but I'm after something that is just as fat as a DH tyre
    > (say 2.3") but without all the knobs!
    >
    > Thanks for any info or other suggestions, hippy

  7. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Ollie Wigg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Someone makes a tire fir called the "slickrock" or perhaps "Moab"
    designed
    > for, you guessed, the slickrock of moab. I don't know mutch about it
    but the
    > intended uses sound similar. Might be worth a google.

    I had a bit of a google but didn't come up with any tyres (or "tires" urgh!) named Moab or
    SlickRock. One page suggested a Specialized Fat Boy for riding slickrock, but that was skinnier than
    my Vredestein S-Licks!

    hip

  8. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    > Ritchey also makes a fat slick, and Tioga used to make a 2.0 version
    of
    > the City Slicker. I have a slight 'Don't believe the hype' reaction to the Hookworm - that file
    > tread and siping is totally pointless, but I don't think anyone except possibly Avocet makes a
    > really treadless 2.0 slick.

    These are basically straight off websites:

    Vredestein "S-Lick" Take the casing of the Volante, make a 26" version of it and add a tread pattern
    that gives any mountain bike or 26" commuter, style and prestige. This tyre is designed to have 90
    pounds of pressure. It's foldable, and weighs in at just under 350 grams. Very low rolling
    resistance, stylish new colors Perfect for commuting with the PRS system 26 x 1.3 90 PSI Kevlar bead
    Weight: 415 grams Price: $39.99

    Vredestein "Monte Carlo" The Monte Carlo mountain bike (26") tyre is ideally suited for the
    economically minded commuter with concern for night time safety. The 3MT reflective sidewall
    is visible from multiple angles. The tread pattern is ideally suited for all-climate
    hard-packed or paved commuting: Same quality casing as the S-Lick Added visibility and safety
    with the 3MT reflective strip Commuter tread pattern PRS System Ideal for recumbent Weight:
    560 grams Price: $29.99

    Ritchey "Mobybite" Wide, sticky slick for traction on rock and pavement Side fins for traction in
    corners and off camber surfaces Plush, fat casing for a smooth ride and maximum floatation on sand
    26x2.1

    Ritchey "Tom Slick 26"" Smooth, narrow pavement tire for mountain bikes Same tread pattern as Tom
    Slick 700c road tires Next best thing to a road bike Pro and Comp versions
    26x3. and 26x 1.4

    Tioga "City Slicker Pro" 26"x1.00" (280g folding; 310g steel) 26"x1.25" (360g folding; 390g steel)
    26"x1.50" (500g steel) 26"x1.95" (750g steel) Dual compound rubber tread Slow Rebound Rubber side
    treads 66 TPI Steel bead

    Avocet "Cross II" Wire Bead Low Profile Inverted Tread Sizes Grams psi 26 x 1.25 385 95 26 x 1.5 425
    45-85 26 x 1.9 545 40-80

    Avocet "Cross II K" Wire Bead Low Profile Inverted Tread Protective Composite Shield Sizes Grams psi
    26 x 1.25 405 95 26 x 1.5 445 45-85 26 x 1.9 565 40-80

    Avocet "Cross II SL" Composite Bead Light Weight Folding Tire Low Profile Inverted Tread Sizes
    Grams psi 26 x 1.25 350 95 26 x 1.5 390 45-85 26 x 1.9 510 40-80 All Cross II tire casings are 66
    threads per inch.

    IRC "Metro" All wire bead All 66 TPI Metro 24x2.00 45-85psi 645g Metro 26x1.25 95psi 365g Metro
    26x1.50 60-100psi 540g Metro 26x2.00 45-85psi 710g Metro Duro 26x1.50 50-100psi 555g Metro Duro
    26x2.00 45-85psi 745g

    Continental "DoubleFighter"
    - Has some small knobs so not a true slick

    Michelin "City" Durable 33 tpi casing with rigid bead. Pavement gripping slick tread with deep
    siping grooves. All Black with white sidewall lettering. 26"x1.25"/560g. 26"x1.5"/640g.

    Michelin "Rock" Durable 33 tpi casing with rigid bead. Diamond crosshatch tread design with
    specially designed shoulders for enhanced cornering grip. All Black with white sidewall lettering.
    26"x1.75"/700g.

    Michelin "Transworld City" Durable 33 tpi casing and rigid bead. Innovative tread balances
    efficiency, comfort and grip. Puncture protector strip molded under the tread. Black with reflective
    sidewall strip. 26"x1.75"/1.95" 700g.

    HTH someone into mtb slicks :) hippy

    P.S. If anyone knows more mtb slicks, please let me know - I want to build a list of what's
    available.

  9. "hippy" <[email protected]> writes:

    > P.S. If anyone knows more mtb slicks, please let me know - I want to build a list of what's
    > available.

    Avocet have some other 26" slicks:

    Wire Bead Carbon 12 Smooth Tread

    Model Size Weight g psi tpi City 26 X 1.25 375 95 66 City 26 X 1.5 475 45-85 66 City 26 X 1.9
    635 40-80 66

    Wire Bead Carbon 12 Smooth Tread Protective Composite Shield

    Model Size Weight g psi tpi City 26 X 1.25 395 95 66 City 26 X 1.5 495 45-85 66 City 26 X 1.9
    655 40-80 66

    See

    <http://www.avocet.com/tirepages/carbon12_specs.html>

    I'm yet to find an Australian bike shop that stocks Avocet tyres though.

    Malcolm

  10. > > P.S. If anyone knows more mtb slicks, please let me know - I want to build a list of what's
    > > available.

    Don't forget the Specialized fatboy - a great tyre, 1.25" 100psi, totally slick, cheap as chips. The
    current ones with the puncture protection don't roll as nicely as the old model, OTOH they have
    black sidewalls which last much better.

    > Avocet have some other 26" slicks:
    Which you can't get in Australia. They're supposed to be great tyres but it's been years since they
    were available.

    Duncan Bourne

  11. Dave

    Dave Guest

    >> > P.S. If anyone knows more mtb slicks, please let me know - I want to build a list of what's
    >> > available.

    I really like my 2.0 IRC Metro Duro's :)

    Perfect for the commuter who doesn't always stick to the road.

    Cheers, Dave

  12. Rob

    Rob Guest

    "hippy" wrote in message

> [...]
    >
    > Continental "DoubleFighter"
    > - Has some small knobs so not a true slick
    >
    > Michelin "City" Durable 33 tpi casing with rigid bead. Pavement gripping slick tread with deep
    > siping grooves. All Black with white sidewall lettering. 26"x1.25"/560g. 26"x1.5"/640g.
    >
    > Michelin "Rock" Durable 33 tpi casing with rigid bead. Diamond crosshatch tread design with
    > specially designed shoulders for enhanced cornering grip. All Black with white sidewall lettering.
    > 26"x1.75"/700g.
    >
    > Michelin "Transworld City" Durable 33 tpi casing and rigid bead. Innovative tread balances
    > efficiency, comfort and grip. Puncture protector strip molded under the tread. Black with
    > reflective sidewall strip. 26"x1.75"/1.95" 700g.
    >
    > HTH someone into mtb slicks :) hippy
    >
    > P.S. If anyone knows more mtb slicks, please let me know - I want to build a list of what's

    I've got WTB Slickasaurus (http://www.wtb.com/slick_15.html)
    1.5" 490g

    Their web site says easy to install, which was not my experience (in fact inspired me to by a
    new set of rims to avoid changing between nobbies on the weekend & slicks for commuting during
    the week).

    Rob

  13. Ollie Wigg

    Ollie Wigg Guest

    For thin ones try the Continantel GP Wire (they do make an MTB version, but do not confuse it with
    the 26" road bike version. For some reason 26" road bike wheels are actually a different wheel size
    from 26" mountain bike wheels) or the ritchey Tom slick, both will go to 120 psi, making them faster
    than the fatboy and only a little more expencive for the GP (don't know price on Ritchey). "Duncan
    news:[email protected]...