May Day actions

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Colin Blackburn, May 1, 2003.

  1. Tags:

  2. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected],

    > The bloke who says cycling doesn't rely on oil was interesting...

    Did he *wax* lyrical?

    IGMC

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  4. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    > It would seem that the first two "protestors" the BBC have interviewed for their website are
    > cyclists. Does CM just start earlier than everyone else?
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2986211.stm
    >
    > Colin

    On Radio 4 this morning was a protester telling us to "go to London to have our say".

    This was on a day when I walked down to the village hall to vote for my Ms - these protesting people
    don't need to make a nuisance of themselves in city centres they need to get the populus behind them
    and get elected (assuming their arguments are valid).

    John

  5. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

  6. On Thu, 1 May 2003 20:59:47 +0100, "Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Radio 4 this morning was a protester telling us to "go to London to have our say".
    >
    >This was on a day when I walked down to the village hall to vote for my Ms - these protesting
    >people don't need to make a nuisance of themselves in city centres they need to get the populus
    >behind them and get elected (assuming their arguments are valid).

    And they have the necessary readies. And have the backing of one of the big three political parties.
    Me, I exercised my democratic right to vote for none of them as none of them represent my views.
    Anyway, I'm new here and don't want to argue politics so I'll just say that I think we'd all be
    better off if the populace in general got off their collective bottoms and did something useful.
    I'll leave the definition of "useful" as an exercised for the reader. :)
    --
    DG

    Bah!

  7. Stephen \

    Stephen \ Guest

    "Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > It would seem that the first two "protestors" the BBC have interviewed for their website are
    > > cyclists. Does CM just start earlier than everyone else?
    > >
    > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2986211.stm
    > >
    > > Colin
    >
    > On Radio 4 this morning was a protester telling us to "go to London to
    have
    > our say".
    >
    > This was on a day when I walked down to the village hall to vote for my Ms - these protesting
    > people don't need to make a nuisance of themselves
    in
    > city centres they need to get the populus behind them and get elected (assuming their arguments
    > are valid).

    In what way is riding your bike and having a picnic in central London being a "nuisance"?

  8. J-P.S

    J-P.S Guest

    On Thu, 1 May 2003 22:56:20 +0100, Stephen (aka steford) scrawled: ) In what way is riding your bike
    and having a picnic in central London being ) a "nuisance"?

    Perhaps they look funny when they eat.

    J-P
    --
    Controversial gargling gonk millionaire Björk warns that a new ice age is far from inevitable in her
    latest video, Me So Pingu

  9. In news:[email protected], Alex Graham <[email protected]> typed:

    > The bloke who says cycling doesn't rely on oil was interesting...

    Have you *seen* the sort of bikes some of these hippy / activist types ride? (and their general
    standard of maintenance) ;)

    I think the CM *does* start earlier than the other stuff (perhaps to avoid being held up by the
    marchers on foot and the large presence of old bill!). As journos take up position early, they would
    have encountered the CM lot first.

    Alex

  10. Alex Graham <[email protected]> wrote:
    >The bloke who says cycling doesn't rely on oil was interesting...

    Assuming he means the black stuff from out of the ground and not all oils, I think that's fair
    enough. It'd be a moderate nuisance to do without, but not the end of the world.

  11. Henry Braun

    Henry Braun Guest

    On Wed, 7 May 2003, David Damerell wrote:

    > Assuming he means the black stuff from out of the ground and not all oils, I think that's fair
    > enough. It'd be a moderate nuisance to do without, but not the end of the world.

    The black stuff that we smear back on the ground is quite an important part of cycling as a
    practical mode of transport, mark you, as well as of a hygienic urban environment.

  12. Alex Graham:

    > The bloke who says cycling doesn't rely on oil was interesting

    David Damerell:

    > Assuming he means the black stuff from out of the ground and not all oils, I think that's
    > fair enough

    Yay! Back to whale oil for chain lube!!

    (dies)

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/