May have paid too much? Trailer.

BHOFM

Aug 8, 2010
Been looking for a trailer for some time. yard sales and thrift stores,
pawn shops.

Ran across this one at a yard sale and bought it, first one I have found.
May need tubes, both tires were flat. It is a Burley, De-lite I think.

Paid one dollar, $1, do you think I over did it just because it was the
first and only one I have found in several months of looking?

I really thought this would get more interest than "0"!

Any way, I talk to my self all the time any how!

Second outing today, first was just a ten mile ride to see how it towed.

Today I want shopping, Aldis, Dollar store, Wally Wally. It tows great,
but the wind is a major factor. Like some one is pulling you backwards.
Weight has little to do with it.

I came home with a, dozen large cans of peaches and pineapple, two liters
of dish soap, ten lbs of taters, eight rolls of paper towels, gallon of milk,
loaf of bread, bag of chips, assorted Jello, tang, lunch meat, sausage,
and odds and ends. Had a tail wind coming home, no problems, stops fine.
A little bouncy when empty. May need to lower the tire psi a little, it says
35/50 and I have them at 50.

Eight mile shopping trip went well. Wife thinks I'm a nut!

Not sure why you wasted a dollar when you already have a trailer sitting in the driveway.

I rode by a house one day and they had one of these trailers sitting out front for free. Stupid me I doubled back and got my truck and when I returned it was gone.

Hey your wife knows you so who are we to disagree with her. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

Originally Posted by davereo .

Not sure why you wasted a dollar when you already have a trailer sitting in the driveway.
I had an '80 Toyota pu, bought new, 100,000 miles, no major repairs, original brakes
hoses, belts, muffler. The first year I was retired I drove it 99 miles, nine dollars
in gas, $250 insurance, $25 tags, $14 taxes.
Sold it for $1600, paid $2700 new, bought a Harbor Freight trailer, $279, wood
$50, tags and tax, $45, one time tag, life time, on noncommercial utility trailers,
and boat trailer. $150 for a hitch for the car, needed it any way for the boat, truck
didn't have power steering and it made launching the boat a *****. Car insurance
covers the trailer when it is being used, home owners covers it when it is in
the driveway.

The trailer gets used a couple times a month and the rest of the time it just
sits there making money!

You can usually pick those trailers up fairly inexpensively. Once the kids are old enough to ride their own bikes, these trailers sit until someone trips over it and then it goes on Craig's list or in the yard sale or out free like davereo saw. Most people, even dedicated riders, still prefer to drive the car to the store. It might have something to do with the lack of security for your bike sitting in the parking lot.

Security is not a big problem here, I seldom lock the bike. I seldom lock the house.
I never lock the car. I am doing this, more to show I can than the need to do it.

I am enjoying my insanity.

I have visited several people with the trailer on the paths and trails, I don't think any
one buys them new, they just keep recycling them. They are very expensive BTW,
the one I have is about $600 new and one other brand is even higher. One nice thing
is all the parts are still available from the maker. I may order a flex coupler, they say
five years is the life of them.

Originally Posted by johnmau16 .

I am doing this, more to show I can than the need to do it. hand dyed sock yarn
Please, johnmau16, if you could weave for me a bike trailer, preferably for one dollar or so, I would like the looks of that very much. It will hold yarns.

: )

I just got the Burley Bee from REI for $250 two weeks ago. Sits two, holds 100 lbs, weighs 20 by itself. Nice bike trailer, rides nice, easy to fold up and take on/off the wheels. We aren't rich by any means (college, married, starting a family), but we did have the money. 1$ is too awesome to pass up though!

Originally Posted by DVNDSN .

I just got the Burley Bee from REI for $250 two weeks ago. Sits two, holds 100 lbs, weighs 20 by itself. Nice bike trailer, rides nice, easy to fold up and take on/off the wheels. We aren't rich by any means (college, married, starting a family), but we did have the money. 1$ is too awesome to pass up though!
I would have liked to had a folder, this one doesn't fold, QR on the wheels and tongue. But
the price was the driving force.

Mine has a push button release on the wheels, and it has a pin that locks it into place to the mount that fits in between the skewer and frame on your bike. It sounds troublesome a bit, but it isn't. It's also got a safety strap that you wrap twice around the frame just in case.

BHOFM wrote, in part:
"It is a Burley, De-lite I think."

My reply:
You should be able to verify this. The D'Lite has a 5-point harness inside for the child, and the sides fold inward and down flat. The wheels are quick-release, and the tongue folds under towards the rear. This is the top-of-the-line model from Burley. If you're not hauling kids, you could cut the harness and seat straps away and use it for hauling luggage on a trip. The round tongue tube tells me this unit is likely from the early-mid 90's, maybe even more recent than that. Still more recent versions in the past few years have a square tongue tube, and the wheels are 16 inch instead of 20 like yours appear to be. The reason I believe yours are 20 inch is due to the tongue. On the 16-inch models the tongue is bent upwards a couple inches, then levels out to connect to the larger frames of 26 inch tire bikes. The idiotic thing on the newer ones is that, they are purported to have an "ambidextrious" mounting, where you can mount it on the left or right side of the trailer and bike. Unfortunately, the idiot that designed it forgot that when switched to the other side of the trailer, the newer tongue will now be upside-down, tilting the trailer upwards at an idiotic angle when mounted. Go figure.

I see you didn't use the pin to hold the top rail down. Please remember to pin that top rail down before putting kids in there. Failure to do so can be entertaining at best, injurious at worst. Enjoy your trailer. It is the standard by which others should be judged, and Burley should have never changed it. Mine is now 20 years old, and has some mildew scattered on it. A solar panel will be strapped on top when taking long trips. I've never had trouble with wobble, shimmy, or other instability at any speeds, loaded or unloaded. Single-wheeled trailers cannot make this brag!

I did some looking, yes, it does fold down into its self. Yes, 20" wheels. The clips are there for the
harness, but I didn't get them with the trailer. They may be in all the junk they have?? How would I ever find
them in that mess? I don't plan on hauling rug rats, cookie cruncher, munchkins.

The ring? It seems almost impossible to snap the top on when the ring is in place? I figured it was
for when the top was off? I really think it is too much strain on the top to try to snap it with the ring
in place? I don't see how the bar could get out with the top on? It snaps in pretty tight and you have
to spread the bars to get it out, fits in a hole in the plastic part.

Thanks for the info, now I can haul it folded when it is empty. The wind is a big factor when going
very fast. It does not wander or shake the bike at all, you can't even tell it is there but for the wind.

BTW, The couple that has the house where the sale was, just bought the house from the bank.
It was a hostile foreclosure. There was a fight, a deputy was injured and the home owner arrested.
When they went to court, they threatened the judge, the sheriff, and threatened to burn the house.
All this in the court room. Needless to say, they won't be needing a house for several years!
The kids that bought the house are getting married in Sept. They got all the stuff in the house,
Toothpaste to underwear. TVs, computers, every thing! They are trying to get rid of the stuff
they don't want or need. Most of the furniture is pressed board ****, the washer is fine but there
is a gas dryer they want to get rid of. The house needs some DIY stuff, but they are excited about
getting the house so cheap. There was a ATV, big mean looking thing. They told me the dealer
said to price it at $3500 and if they didn't sell it he would give them $3200.

That's pretty crazy about the house! What a steal! That Burley was a steal too! Lot's of good deals going on around your town.

The housing crash hit this area hard. sixty percent of all the homes for sale in Arkansas were in
two Northwest counties. Benton, Washington. We have a twenty plus percent foreclosure rate.
Over half the available office space is vacant. Over half the homes for sale are new, and over
$500k. Last year there were over eight thousand homes for sale in Benton county alone.

I am on the board of directors for a local bank. Last year we had one developer default on
a $28,000,000 builders loan. Seventy homes in various states of completion. None far enogh
along to justify completing. All were torn done, the streets, water, sewer were all removed.
Only the big sign remains and the divided entry way. I don't even drive by it any more, take
the long route around it.

One of the hardships in these was landlords were defaulting on the loan and the renters
were being removed from the houses by the banks and loan companies. The bank
I am with is family owned, my family, we did not do this, we let the renters stay and
tried to sell the house with them still living in it. When the houses were purchased by
some one to live in, we required they give the people ninety days notice. Or help
them find a new place. Several houses we foreclosed on we allowed the people
to stay and pay a modest rent until they found new housing.

BHOFM wrote, in part:
"The ring? It seems almost impossible to snap the top on when the ring is in place? I figured it was
for when the top was off? I really think it is too much strain on the top to try to snap it with the ring
in place?"

My reply:
Actually, it doesn't matter if the top flap is on or off. I put this pin in with the ring UP ABOVE the bar, and rotate the keeper ring down flat against the bar. The cover goes over it without problem. The cover flap will pull tight and it seems like it will barely fit to snap it in place, but it does work. You could also look at a bikeshop that has one and see this in action, as they will certainly demonstrate it for you. It is a security measure, like the black strap that wraps around the hitch when you hook it to the bike. You don't need it until you need it. Of course, you only paid a dollar (bugger!) so you're not out much, unless you have some kind of accident, and then it can cost full price to replace the damaged parts of your one-dollar bargain.

As for tire pressure, I'd say about 35lbs is fine when near empty, more depending on weight. For a long-haul trip with a heavier load above 35lbs I'd raise the pressure towards max, but save max pressure for max loads. Tires on trailers also serve to absorb road shock/vibration, just as your bike tires do. Enjoy your trips. You might want to replace the stock reflectors with similar-looking lights from the auto store. Get the red ones that are about the same size/shape as whats on there, and put a battery in the trailer with an inline switch to turn it on/off. Of course, if you don't ride at night, don't bother. That highly-reflective 3/M scotchbrite tape is *****in' for outlining the trailer, and there's no way anyone can miss you at night with that stuff on your rig. Outline the sides while you're at it. Go nuts and put some on your bike. You didn't really get that 20 million you brag about just to leave it for someone else to bicker over, did you? <grins>

[SIZE= 14px]I found this on the Dayton Craigs List. I would say that you came out $249 ahead.[/SIZE]
2006 Burley D'Lite Bicycle Trailer - Great Condition - $250 (Dayton, Ohio) Date: 2011-06-23, 12:13PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Hello!

Do you wish to ride with your child or 2 children? Are you looking for a trailer that's light and hassle-free to setup and tear down? Are you looking for best in-class performance from your trailer? Are you looking for one of the safest trailers available?

I have up for sale 1 used 2006 Burley D'lite Bicycle Trailer. I am the first and current owner and used it often with my children with no issues. I would rate the condition of this trailer as an 8 out of 10. This was and continues to be a top-of-the-line trailer and is, in m opinion, still better than what Burley offers today. It can carry 1 or two children with a combined weight of up to 100lbs. Setup allows the single rider to sit either to the side or in the middle. The tension of the seats and the back-rest can be set as well. The trailer takes less than 7min to setup and even less when taking apart for storage. It can carry plenty and rolls smoothly with a load. It still offers a safety cage around the wheels which is not available in the newer version. And finally, you can get it for less than half of current version!

Sale of this item is "As Is" but I am confident you wil be happy with the condition of this item as it was stored inside a conditioned space during the winters. Payment must be made in cash.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
3kb3m23le5O35Y55P4b6id78f4dd723d21813.jpg
3nd3ka3ld5O25Z15P5b6i0d34cc046bef19db.jpg
3k63p33la5O45Y45P4b6id9070210e466137b.jpg
3n43o63lf5T45Z25W1b6i5c494c1889d018fd.jpg

PostingID: 2457870766