Maybe controversial questions

netscriber

Dec 30, 2005
Allright, I am not really known to start controversial questions but had to ask these and see what responses I get!! :)
Being a guy, I don't really enjoy shaving! Done Enuf of that on my face half my life. Neither do I especially like underwear! :D

OK, a while back I installed a new seat and did not really install it dead horizontal. I was wearing briefs and the edge started cutting halfway through the ride. :eek: Hence the question...

a. What kind of underwear is favorable for men cyclists?
b. How do most the men get rid of the hair? shaving? waxing? And how high?

netscriber said:
Allright, I am not really known to start controversial questions but had to ask these and see what responses I get!! :)
Being a guy, I don't really enjoy shaving! Done Enuf of that on my face half my life. Neither do I especially like underwear! :D

OK, a while back I installed a new seat and did not really install it dead horizontal. I was wearing briefs and the edge started cutting halfway through the ride. :eek: Hence the question...

You're in luck, commando! Underwear is not worn with cycle shorts or tights.

As for shaving, do the lot, using this:-

Dondare said:

As for shaving, do the lot, using this:-
Haha! :D Thanks for the response. I figured something was wrong when I started slipping down the slopes of my Selle Italia! :)

netscriber said:

a. Favorable? Not sure about that, but I love boxer briefs. The brand I get from Kohl's (Sonoma) is really soft and seems to hold up well. Hanes and FTL are a bit stiffer and seem to chafe.

b. I shave. Once a week. I am so used to it that I don't really even think about it.

I remember when I first did it. Had to get half Sh&*faced to get myself in the mode. Wife came in and found me with blood all over in the tub. (First time is definitely the worst). About three days after I shaved the first time I was on an MTB training ride and crashed down a decent in Tucson called "Satan's Slingshot". What they call a "yard sale" crash. (Buns over tea kettle, parts and supplies flying everywhere...) Knarfed the heck out of my lower leg. Without hair, it was easy to clean the dirt out, and within a few days I was healed. Since then, I've been a believer and ('knock on wood') it has been kind of a lucky charm for me.

I know, TMI (too much information) but it is a good story. At least I think so.

:)

freeagent35 said:
a. Favorable? Not sure about that, but I love boxer briefs. The brand I get from Kohl's (Sonoma) is really soft and seems to hold up well. Hanes and FTL are a bit stiffer and seem to chafe.

b. I shave. Once a week. I am so used to it that I don't really even think about it.

I remember when I first did it. Had to get half Sh&*faced to get myself in the mode. Wife came in and found me with blood all over in the tub. (First time is definitely the worst). About three days after I shaved the first time I was on an MTB training ride and crashed down a decent in Tucson called "Satan's Slingshot". What they call a "yard sale" crash. (Buns over tea kettle, parts and supplies flying everywhere...) Knarfed the heck out of my lower leg. Without hair, it was easy to clean the dirt out, and within a few days I was healed. Since then, I've been a believer and ('knock on wood') it has been kind of a lucky charm for me.

I know, TMI (too much information) but it is a good story. At least I think so.

:)
I have shaved before. Maybe I should start again. Wife says(with a mocking smile) once you get used to waxing its a better option coz the hair takes time to grow.

Hey someone said you do not need underwear with cycling tights. Is this true or a personal opinion. I have tried that and gone numb once :eek:

I tried wearing even light lycra boxer briefs under the shorts. Yuuuuck. Definitely for me it is nothing under. I shave legs and butt. I did find out(the hard way) not to shave the day before a long ride...IRITATION GALORE.

thats my .02

netscriber said:
I have shaved before. Maybe I should start again. Wife says(with a mocking smile) once you get used to waxing its a better option coz the hair takes time to grow.

Hey someone said you do not need underwear with cycling tights. Is this true or a personal opinion. I have tried that and gone numb once :eek:
You're supposed to wear cycling shorts underneath the tights...

ToffoIsMe said:
You're supposed to wear cycling shorts underneath the tights...
Depends on the tights. Some have shammy, and are worn without, some have no pad, and need shorts or liners underneath.

Sorry, perhaps I should have read further.

With tights, I wear regular cycling shorts under (lycra with chamois). None of my tights have a chamois in them. I never wear undies when I ride. I agree with those who have suggested that they would wick up too much moisture (as they are cotton). If someone wanted to do this and did NOT want to use a chamois, perhaps full lycra boxer briefs would be ok as an option, though one person seems to have tried that with poor results. (Maybe just for casual around town type riding).

Slightly off the subject, but one thing to try; I have used baby powder (cornstarch) in my chamois for years and it really helps keep moisture and friction down. A lot cheaper than chamois cream and easier to clean. If I do get a saddle sore I use inexpensive aloe vera gel (available at pretty much any variety or drug store) and it cleans quickly. If I am not freshly showered and have a LONG ride ahead (50+ miles) I will usually clean my hind end with hydrogen peroxide. I know it sounds odd but there are a lot of bacteria back there and they just love riding conditions (wet and warm).

On my saddles (leather) I use Mink Oil. (find it in the shoe section at variety stores like Wal Mart). I put a light coating on the saddle every time I ride. The saddles stay slick and soft and last forever without developing wear spots on them. I tried things like Armor All, but they start out slick only to get very dry quickly, at least in my opinion.

Dondare said:
wrong my friend...

if you live where i live you need some thick woolie undies and some thermal leggings under your lycra otherwise you'll have to abandon all hope of starting a family in the future...

you wear underwear if it is cold, you have no choice. It was -7 here a few days ago. Your testicles will be frozen solid. It may chaff you but thats better than dying of hypothermia.

MountainPro said:
wrong my friend...

if you live where i live you need some thick woolie undies and some thermal leggings under your lycra otherwise you'll have to abandon all hope of starting a family in the future...

you wear underwear if it is cold, you have no choice. It was -7 here a few days ago. Your testicles will be frozen solid. It may chaff you but thats better than dying of hypothermia.
I always wear the tights under the bib shorts, to hold them up as well as for comfort. I never wear underwear (while cycling).

I've found leg warmers more flexible and easier to take on and off as required, but they are not warm enough for the coldest weather here, particularly with the wind chill although it rarely gets very cold around here, it seldom goes under 0 degrees, or over 20C in summer. You can't bate that oul Gulf Stream.

NEVER wear ANYTHING under your bike shorts. The bike short should be used as your base layer in cold weather, with thermals and tights over them.

Here in beautiful florida it's never neccessary to wear underwear for warmth. Once I had to wear sleeves and after about and hour I had to take those off cause I was too hot. That was about two weeks ago.
Any way I don't put anything under my lycra, and when I run out of lycra I have an emergancy pair of padded cannondale underwear that I put some gym shorts over. I also don't shave (except for my face).

tingle_wayne said:
Here in beautiful florida it's never neccessary to wear underwear for warmth. Once I had to wear sleeves and after about and hour I had to take those off cause I was too hot. That was about two weeks ago.
Any way I don't put anything under my lycra, and when I run out of lycra I have an emergancy pair of padded cannondale underwear that I put some gym shorts over. I also don't shave (except for my face).
How about the question on how high do people shave? Do some people end up with hair shorts?

have you ever, and i mean ever, seen yourself in the mirror with your lycra padded cycling shorts and a set of thermal jock straps OVER them.?

its your life....i dont suppose you ever wanted to get a girlfriend anyways..

Dieseldan said:
NEVER wear ANYTHING under your bike shorts. The bike short should be used as your base layer in cold weather, with thermals and tights over them.

MountainPro said:
have you ever, and i mean ever, seen yourself in the mirror with your lycra padded cycling shorts and a set of thermal jock straps OVER them.?
With the right color combination, it just might look rather dashing. But only if you have a cape to match.

artmichalek said:
With the right color combination, it just might look rather dashing. But only if you have a cape to match.
i have heard that black lycra with a fluffy leopards skin g-string over the top sends the ladies wild.

Hhaha...I asked the question under the assumption that if I ask the guys at the local ride if they are wearing underwear, I might get an "accidental" push at the next 3000ft climb off my bike into the valley. :eek:

But this thread is taking a rather humorous turn towards the wild? :D

You should wear what's most comfortable for you.

Personally I've never heard of wearing anything under bike shorts but, hey, what do I know?

Try it both ways and see what you like best.

As for shaving. I've tried it once and couldn't stand the pain/bumps/awful feeling between the covers in bed. The funny looks from other cyclists as they stare at my hairy legs isn't nearly as painful.:D