Maybe don't try Alumina Oxide ceramic bearings

Wanted to try ceramic bearings in my pre-2007 Campy hubs, but not for
hundreds of dollars. I found them here:

http://www.hooverprecision.com/html/hoover_-__ceramic__silicon_nit.html

Unfortunately, they didn't have the 5/32 inch balls in Silicon Nitride.
But they did have 5/32 in Alumina Oxide. The specs looked pretty
good, nearly as hard as the others, just a little heavier:

http://www.hooverprecision.com/html/hoover_-_alumina_oxide_balls.html

I ordered 50 balls for $32 -- not too bad. They came in about a week,
and were VERY cool looking -- pure white, like round Tic Tacs. At
first I installed them with no grease at all just to see how they spun,
which was very nice. Then I used the normal amount of some white
Lithium grease that I had around.

My first ride of about 70 miles went well. Every time I coasted past
someone on a descent I would point at the rear wheel and say "ceramic
bearings." This generally earned envious stares, though primarily from
people who didn't realize the real reason was my 200+ pounds.

But the story has a less-than-happy ending. On my second ride, I only
got about a few miles when I sensed something was wrong. The rear hub
had become rough and noisy !!! Also, it was somewhat loose. I
immediately cell-phoned for a rescue to prevent further damage to my
cups and cones.

Upon disassembly, one side was still smooth, and the other very rough.
I did not inspect the balls very carefully (sorry), but at least one of
them looked rough, maybe chipped. Anyway, I tossed all the balls and
replaced them with stainless. My hub is now running smoothly again
(whew!).

So what happened? Maybe I got a little play in the hub, which has
happened before with Campy bearings (though I'm not sure why) and these
balls couldn't handle the shock. I found a quote on the web:

"This material is very friable. It can be chipped or cracked by
moderate impact"

I might still try some silicon nitride balls if I can find them cheap
enough. Or I might just SAY I'm running ceramics to get those stares,
though I'm not sure it will feel quite as good.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Wanted to try ceramic bearings in my pre-2007 Campy hubs, but not for
> hundreds of dollars. I found them here:
>
> http://www.hooverprecision.com/html/hoover_-__ceramic__silicon_nit.html
>
> Unfortunately, they didn't have the 5/32 inch balls in Silicon Nitride.
> But they did have 5/32 in Alumina Oxide. The specs looked pretty
> good, nearly as hard as the others, just a little heavier:
>
> http://www.hooverprecision.com/html/hoover_-_alumina_oxide_balls.html
>
> I ordered 50 balls for $32 -- not too bad. They came in about a week,
> and were VERY cool looking -- pure white, like round Tic Tacs. At
> first I installed them with no grease at all just to see how they spun,
> which was very nice. Then I used the normal amount of some white
> Lithium grease that I had around.
>
> My first ride of about 70 miles went well. Every time I coasted past
> someone on a descent I would point at the rear wheel and say "ceramic
> bearings." This generally earned envious stares, though primarily from
> people who didn't realize the real reason was my 200+ pounds.
>
> But the story has a less-than-happy ending. On my second ride, I only
> got about a few miles when I sensed something was wrong. The rear hub
> had become rough and noisy !!! Also, it was somewhat loose. I
> immediately cell-phoned for a rescue to prevent further damage to my
> cups and cones.
>
> Upon disassembly, one side was still smooth, and the other very rough.
> I did not inspect the balls very carefully (sorry), but at least one of
> them looked rough, maybe chipped. Anyway, I tossed all the balls and
> replaced them with stainless. My hub is now running smoothly again
> (whew!).
>
> So what happened? Maybe I got a little play in the hub, which has
> happened before with Campy bearings (though I'm not sure why) and these
> balls couldn't handle the shock. I found a quote on the web:
>
> "This material is very friable. It can be chipped or cracked by
> moderate impact"
>
> I might still try some silicon nitride balls if I can find them cheap
> enough. Or I might just SAY I'm running ceramics to get those stares,
> though I'm not sure it will feel quite as good.

Precision chrome steel ball bearings have a hardness between 58Rc and 66Rc
(Rockwell C Scale).

Aluminum Oxide is approximately 74.5Ra (Rockwell A Scale). Rubies and
sapphires are composed primarily of aluminum oxide which is one of the
hardest materials in common use. It's also a very brittle material.

A better comparison of hardness would be the Vickers Hardness scale where
hardened chrome steel balls would be between 680 to 800 Vickers Hardness
and Aluminum Oxide would measure around 1365 Vickers Hardness.

http://www.bikepro.com/products/metals/hardness.shtml

http://www.trdspecialties.com/ceramic-balls.asp

Ceramic bearings are designed to run in super accurate hardened races. The
quality of finish, accuracy and rigidity of adjustable bearings in bicycle
hubs and other components are no where near close enough to function with
ceramic balls.

http://www.cbike.com/ceramic_bearings.htm

Chas.

* * Chas wrote:
> [...]
> >

> Precision chrome steel ball bearings have a hardness between 58Rc and 66Rc
> (Rockwell C Scale).
>
> Aluminum Oxide is approximately 74.5Ra (Rockwell A Scale). Rubies and
> sapphires are composed primarily of aluminum oxide which is one of the
> hardest materials in common use. It's also a very brittle material.
>
> A better comparison of hardness would be the Vickers Hardness scale where
> hardened chrome steel balls would be between 680 to 800 Vickers Hardness
> and Aluminum Oxide would measure around 1365 Vickers Hardness.
>
> http://www.bikepro.com/products/metals/hardness.shtml
>
> http://www.trdspecialties.com/ceramic-balls.asp
>
> Ceramic bearings are designed to run in super accurate hardened races. The
> quality of finish, accuracy and rigidity of adjustable bearings in bicycle
> hubs and other components are no where near close enough to function with

PLEASE, no reality permitted!!

* * Chas wrote:
> [...]
> >

> Precision chrome steel ball bearings have a hardness between 58Rc and 66Rc
> (Rockwell C Scale).
>
> Aluminum Oxide is approximately 74.5Ra (Rockwell A Scale). Rubies and
> sapphires are composed primarily of aluminum oxide which is one of the
> hardest materials in common use. It's also a very brittle material.
>
> A better comparison of hardness would be the Vickers Hardness scale where
> hardened chrome steel balls would be between 680 to 800 Vickers Hardness
> and Aluminum Oxide would measure around 1365 Vickers Hardness.
>
> http://www.bikepro.com/products/metals/hardness.shtml
>
> http://www.trdspecialties.com/ceramic-balls.asp
>
> Ceramic bearings are designed to run in super accurate hardened races. The
> quality of finish, accuracy and rigidity of adjustable bearings in bicycle
> hubs and other components are no where near close enough to function with

PLEASE, no reality permitted!! Ceramic bearing balls are the 'necxt
great thing' and will make you ride just like Ivan Basso..so STOP IT!!

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> [...]

> > sapphires are composed primarily of aluminum oxide which is one of the
> > hardest materials in common use. It's also a very brittle material.
> >
> > A better comparison of hardness would be the Vickers Hardness scale where
> > hardened chrome steel balls would be between 680 to 800 Vickers Hardness
> > and Aluminum Oxide would measure around 1365 Vickers Hardness.
> >
> > http://www.bikepro.com/products/metals/hardness.shtml
> >
> > http://www.trdspecialties.com/ceramic-balls.asp
> >
> > Ceramic bearings are designed to run in super accurate hardened races. The
> > quality of finish, accuracy and rigidity of adjustable bearings in bicycle
> > hubs and other components are no where near close enough to function with
> > ceramic balls.

> PLEASE, no reality permitted!! Ceramic bearing balls are the 'necxt
> great thing' and will make you ride just like Ivan Basso..so STOP IT!!

If you put ceramic bearings in one of those super-duper stiff external
bearing BBs, yer bike will go uphill all by itself!!

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> If you put ceramic bearings in one of those super-duper stiff external
> bearing BBs, yer bike will go uphill all by itself!!

That's why I only use ceramic bearings in my perpetual motion machine.

Hank Wirtz wrote:
> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> > If you put ceramic bearings in one of those super-duper stiff external
> > bearing BBs, yer bike will go uphill all by itself!!

> That's why I only use ceramic bearings in my perpetual motion machine.

Just keep yer Flux Capacitor charged up!