Maybe my fork is slightly bent

TrekDedicated

Jun 17, 2004
I think on the left side of my fork it is slightly bent outwards right where the 'hook' attaches to the hub screw... Should I just try to bend it back or what? B/c I think that is what is causing the humming noise when I turn left...

TrekDedicated said:
I think on the left side of my fork it is slightly bent outwards right where the 'hook' attaches to the hub screw... Should I just try to bend it back or what? B/c I think that is what is causing the humming noise when I turn left...

This sounds interesting. What exactly do you mean by "humming" when you turn left?

TD

tyler_derden said:
This sounds interesting. What exactly do you mean by "humming" when you turn left?

TD

Kind of hard to put into words, but it sounds like a vibrating humming, partially changes pitch. When I start increasing my speed, sometimes is 'hums' as well.

So, as I turn left/leaning left into a turn, it makes the noise

this sounds like a mystery that your lbs should be solving. trying to bend forks back into place is risky business.

TrekDedicated said:
Kind of hard to put into words, but it sounds like a vibrating humming, partially changes pitch. When I start increasing my speed, sometimes is 'hums' as well.

So, as I turn left/leaning left into a turn, it makes the noise

Were you involved in a big crash? It is not easy to bend a fork.

It may be that the wheel bearing cones are too loose and the rim is shifting into contact with a brake pad. Lift the front end of the bike and try wiggling the wheel by grabbing the the tire/rim. If it moves, either the wheel isn't mounted properly or the bearing cones are loose.

Are you sure the wheel is properly seated in the fork? There are "lawyer lips" on the ends of forks that use quick release wheels. If one side of the axle is clamped to the lawyer lip the wheel won't be centered properly between the brake shoes.

Are you sure the brakes are properly adjusted and set equal distances from the rim? Do you have any broken spokes (sometimes you have to touch them to know you have one if it is broken at the hub end).

Another remote possibility is that the brake cable was cut too short when it was installed. When you turn the handlebars it may be pulling the cable and causing the brake to close down on the rim.

TD